The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Luongo Retires

Rate this topic

14 minutes ago, apollo said:

You clearly don't have an open mind about naturopathic medicine. 

I had eczema for years... Go to your regular family doctor or dermatologist and they'll supply you with some big pharma medicine that doesn't work on many people. 

See a reputable naturopath and they will find the right remedy for it in short order. 

If marian tried big pharma and they didn't work in curing his ezxcema... Then he could have easily resolved it naturally. 

Marian signed the exact same deal as Luongo aside from his having 4 years at 1 million in real money. He called it quits as soon as his first of 4 one million years... Give me a freaking break. You don't call bs and believe the media?! How convenient for marian... Saves his team over 2 million in cap, which wins them multiple cups and this cheater is getting off Scott free and so are the pathetic fans of Chicago?!?! Yet we as Canucks fans are being punished?! 

LENGTH: 12 YEARS
EXPIRY STATUS: UFA
SIGNING TEAM: Chicago BlackhawksChicago Blackhawks
VALUE: $63,300,000
C.H.% q.svg: 9.29
SIGNING DATE: July 1, 2009
SOURCE: CapGeek

The nhl is a joke. Theres teams like Chicago that are in the old boys club and not only influence the refs to buy them wins, but even the league to turn the blind eye to their actions... 

Except he has a form of contact dermatitis which the best recommendation is to avoid what causes the reaction. Not everything is a conspiracy and it's been an issue in hockey for years and was worse in the 60’s and 70’s due to the bleaches used to clean equipment.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, internationalhippy said:

Became a superstar in Vancouver. Won the most here. Will be remembered for his time here. Bure went in as canuck

Bure was most known for being a Canuck, Luongo spent more time as a Panther and had a less rocky relationship as a Panther.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Bure was most known for being a Canuck, Luongo spent more time as a Panther and had a less rocky relationship as a Panther.

That's fine that he played there more. But he won more here. All the highs were here.  But can somebody make a poll? Interested to see what people think

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, thundernuts said:

He is a shoe in.

I don’t think so.

Curtis Joseph - 5th in all-time wins, Spengler Cup winner, Olympic gold medalist, and a 3-time all-star.

Mike Vernon - 2-time Stanley Cup winner, Jennings, Conn Smythe winner, and a 5-time all-star.

Tom Barrasso - 2-time Stanley Cup winner, Vezina, Jennings, and Calder winner.

Chris Osgood - 3-time Stanley Cup winner, 10th in all-time wins, 3-time all-star.

They all have similar careers, yet these players have not made it into the Hall.

Edited by shiznak
  • Upvote 2

I'm still in shock... Roberto could have just gone on LTIR but he chose to turn his back on the fans that cheered him more than ANY fanbase in the history of sports. 

Name 1 other athlete that got cheered for over 30 times a night when on home ice?  Not to mention all the Luuuing we did when our fans were at road arenas. 

This is a vengeful act by Luongo who truly never loved Vancouver and always saw himself as a Florida man... Way to let your wife call the shots Lui. 

SMH 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 3
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, appleboy said:

I think there was a few of our Benning is great guys on here who said that Luongo would finish his career on IR and they would never have to worry about the recapture. Guess what??????     :gocan:

Again, laughing at bad things for the Canucks.  What's with you anyway?

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, internationalhippy said:

That's fine that he played there more. But he won more here. All the highs were here.  But can somebody make a poll? Interested to see what people think

Its unfortunate but if he makes it in hell be as a panther.

38 minutes ago, Nooks said:

What a classless and spiteful move.  It’s a disgrace.

I'm with you nooks. I spent the better part of a decade hyping Lui, viciously defending him to anyone I spoke with... Heck I probably made 5000 pro luongo posts on CDC... but he does this to us?! 

He only had Florida's best interest in mind and this was just a dagger into the heart of the die hard canucks fans that truly loved him. 

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 4

I guess this is not a surprise knowing our luck. Still I was hoping we would make a deal with panthers to trade him back and put him on LTIR. It really annoys me how other teams in similar situations are able to work around and canucks are stuck with the recapture hit for 3 years. 

Luongo was a good goalie for us but I hope he doesn't get his number retired by canucks. It would been a different story if he won a venza, cup, etc. 

There goes 3 million cap that could have been very helpful for us.... Thanks Luongo 

Edited by prix57
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, apollo said:

I'm with you nooks. I spent the better part of a decade hyping Lui, viciously defending him to anyone I spoke with... Heck I probably made 5000 pro luongo posts on CDC... but he does this to us?! 

He only had Florida's best interest in mind and this was just a dagger into the heart of the die hard canucks fans that truly loved him. 

• Upvote 2

We should have traded for Luongos contract then put him on ltir when he failed his physical at the beginning of next season.

This is the difference with Chicago and Hossa. Chicago had control over the situation whereas with Luongo it wasn't in Floridas interest to put him on ltir. I actually suggested this in the trade proposals section a while back and got laughed at.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

572 regular season games and 6 playoff games for the Panthers. 230 wins,  .919 SV%, 2.61 GAA, 1 division title.

448 regular season games and 64 playoff games for the Canucks. 252 wins, .919 SV%, 2.36 GAA, 6 divison titles, 1 conference title, 1 Jennings Trophy, captain for two years

Edited by Rubik
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, shiznak said:

I don’t think so.

Curtis Joseph - 5th in all-time wins, Spengler Cup winner, Olympic gold medalist, and a 3-time all-star.

Mike Vernon - 2-time Stanley Cup winner, Jennings, Conn Smythe winner, and a 5-time all-star.

Tom Barrasso - 2-time Stanley Cup winner, Vezina, Jennings, and Calder winner.

Chris Osgood - 3-time Stanley Cup winner, 10th in all-time wins, 3-time all-star.

They all have similar careers, yet these players have not made it into the Hall.

All those guys have fair arguments to get in...heck after like 30 years Vachon was jt got in just recently.  Barasso tops the list IMO, media have suggested for years he hasn’t gotten in yet because of his prickly personality...Luongo would be up there with Jospeh although he has more Vezina finalist appearances (an argument made for why Joseph isn’t in, was rarely higher then five in voting)  two gold medals including one as the starter...made it to the finals etc..Vernon and Osgood also both would look good in the HHOF...heck Osgood was the front runner for the Smythe on their team the last time they were in the final ...two cups as starter...4 cup appearances.  

All these guys are considered top fifty goalies all time and higher...Luongo around 30....right around how many goalies are already in. 

Wouldnt call Luongo a shoo-in first ballot guy, but with the lack of quality guys retiring these days (Joe Thornton is a shoo-in first ballot but still playing, someone will sign him) and a short list of guys still waiting there turn I think he has very good odds of getting in a couple years after the waiting period is over...maybe when he’s 45 or so.   

Fluery will likely be the last goalie to play 19 seasons or so like Luongo...Lunqvist has an outside chance maybe too.  Goalies simply don’t start before they are 20 anymore.   Both these guys are probably HHOF players too.

Also want to add that Lundqvist feasted on Shoot out wins, over 80 and counting, the other guys on this list got ties for that, a 400 win season is a remarkable feat for them.  Make all games that were won or lost in 4 on 4 or 3 on 3 OT or at very least the shoot-out and make them ties it creates an even playing field with the goalies that came before that...Luongo wouldn’t crack 500 likely even if he played the next three years under that format.  And would be considerably lower down the list too, closer to ten then 5.

Edited by IBatch

2 hours ago, apollo said:

Apollo have you considered that maybe the cap recapture penalty his contract is makes was part of the reason he retired now?  It’s the best case scenario by far compared to him doing it next year or god forbid the following one when we have to sign Hughes and EP...it would have been monstrous then.  Helps both his teams really.

Its not his fault, but he does bear some responsibility and I’m sure he takes it seriously too.  And he’s doing it the right way, pretending your injured to circumvent this sullies his legacy. 

Like I’m sure you’ve said before “the greatest goalie ever to play for the Canucks and in the history of pro sports etc”.   A stand up guy.   A real pro.  We were lucky to have him, one of the happiest days of my life when we traded for him, I knew right then that we were going to be a contender.   Was a huge fan already given he was always on the highlight reel, making ridiculous Hasek like saves and winning games well being outshot 55-20.  He was so good he actually had decent record playing for absolute garbage. 

As far as the recapture thing goes it’s completely fair, we took advantage of it at the beginning paid him 10 million knowing full well it was unlikely he’d ever finish the deal, and kept his cap hit way down as a result.  We also ratified the next CBA fully accepting the recapture penalty to make sure it all evened out in the end and there was no circumventing.  If we don’t pay the penalty we don’t honour our agreements.  It’s on Luongo a bit too, but not much, way more on MG for creating the albatross in the first place.  

Hate to see you lose a fan favourite over this...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1