The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Luongo Retires

Rate this topic

5 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol he's the only goalie in the league history to record 200+ wins on 2 seperate teams.. he's 1 of 2 goalie to lead 2 different franchise in all time wins.. although the other goalie shouldn't even count because he's the only goalie so far in that franchise and likely his record will be broken shortly (Fleury). it's also likely that franchise win record on 2 different team will never be broken. not that many goalies play for 1 franchise for 10+ year and let alone be a starter for almost 18 years.. 

Without checking this I’m almost certain your wrong there, Roy certainly won 200 for MTL before going to COL.  

Agreed that goalies don’t play for as long as they used to but the ones that do can still pile up the wins if their team is good enough and they stick around.  With the shoot out and OT wins not counting as ties like they once were, it’s a lot easier to pile up the Ws too.  Ask Lundqvist has like 90 of them.   Quick .. Vasilevsky has a decent chance of getting 400 if he sticks around...

Luongo records with Vancouver will eventually get broken just like he did with McLean (who faded fast approaching 30).   Will take some time but it will happen.  Rinne is another current goalie that’s piled up the wins for one franchise so far..

7 hours ago, Oregon.Duck said:

As a person with Degenerative Disc Disease in my L3-L4...I’d Call Callahan going on LTIR because of it BS. The word disease throws people off, but man, it’s not career ending by a long shot. 

Hey I have that too, and did back when I was their age as well, no frigging way he can play the game if it’s serious.  MRIs state how bad it is, from mild-crippling, he’s probably played with it already for years and now has problems putting his skates on.    Who knows how bad it is, the point is if it’s bad no way can he play or should he be playing pro sports, the risks of it getting worse is extremely high.   

Have an aunt who had it so bad she was bedridden in the hospital for weeks.

20 hours ago, Rush17 said:

He should fail his physical. If he doesn't I would contest the cap hit as it was a rule created after the fact. Other teams have gotten around it.

Worse case I guess Jim will maximize that 3m per when it comes off the books like found money. Maybe target a depth centre.

At the rate the Canucks are going I don't think Jim will be around another 3 years.

1 minute ago, Russ said:

At the rate the Canucks are going I don't think Jim will be around another 3 years.

Yet 90% of fans seem to be fine with Bennings direction. (Last I saw on the poll)

While our previous GM just stuck the team with $3 million for 3 years on the salary cap. 

10 hours ago, gurn said:

It must be very hard to live in your head.

All these bad deals add up. Every bad move he makes gets covered over by his blind fans. You guys make excuses for it saying that he knows what he is doing. Yet the team never gets any better. The one thing that they have done reasonably well is draft.  Now that we have some decent young talent they would like to add some UFA's but have very little cap space left because he has piddled it away with all of his mistakes . This guy should not be allowed to manage a club. He should be running a drafting department,  that's it. 

There is no planning ahead, there is no plan what so ever. They just fly by the seat of their pants.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

The Canucks may not get out from under the recapture but would it hurt to go the league and see if they can spread it out over 5 years instead of 3.It will clear up a million a year and when the cap goes up it will be less of a penalty.Helps the Canucks and lets the league save face by applying the penalty and allowing some help to a team that should not even have been penalized in the first place.

14 hours ago, grandmaster said:

All those that are concerned about the cap recapture penalty need to realize it is very trivial. The Canucks were already paying 800K yearly in retained salary. This just means an extra 2.2M. By all accords, this would have been worse next year and disastrous the following year when that hit goes 4 and 8M respectively. 

If he was was going to pull the plug, this was the right time to do it. 

He really loved this city, fans and team mates. A legend who crushed most of our goalie records. I would have loved for him to have stayed. I blame Torts for his departure. He will undoubtedly have his jersey retired and be in the Hall of Fame.  

It’s not about comparing it to 4 or 8m. We shouldn’t be on the hook for something which wasn’t even against the rules when we signed him. Bunch of bs retroactive laws to screw us over 

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Without checking this I’m almost certain your wrong there, Roy certainly won 200 for MTL before going to COL.  

Agreed that goalies don’t play for as long as they used to but the ones that do can still pile up the wins if their team is good enough and they stick around.  With the shoot out and OT wins not counting as ties like they once were, it’s a lot easier to pile up the Ws too.  Ask Lundqvist has like 90 of them.   Quick .. Vasilevsky has a decent chance of getting 400 if he sticks around...

Luongo records with Vancouver will eventually get broken just like he did with McLean (who faded fast approaching 30).   Will take some time but it will happen.  Rinne is another current goalie that’s piled up the wins for one franchise so far..

Heh, but the Canucks weren’t great in the shoutout (either our shooters like the Sedins even during their peak and Luongo).

37 minutes ago, Ur a Towel said:

I'm sorry but other than Loui which we can all agree was a mistake and possibly Schaller who isn't taking up much cap, what other UFAs do we have on our team NOW that were a mistake?

Possibly Schaller?  He’s a complete waste of a roster spot.  At least Loui E isn’t bad defensively.  Good that his cap hit isn’t great nor a long term.  Still is complete garbage.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

9 hours ago, shiznak said:

I don’t think so.

Curtis Joseph - 5th in all-time wins, Spengler Cup winner, Olympic gold medalist, and a 3-time all-star.

Mike Vernon - 2-time Stanley Cup winner, Jennings, Conn Smythe winner, and a 5-time all-star.

Tom Barrasso - 2-time Stanley Cup winner, Vezina, Jennings, and Calder winner.

Chris Osgood - 3-time Stanley Cup winner, 10th in all-time wins, 3-time all-star.

They all have similar careers, yet these players have not made it into the Hall.

Yet

31 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Heh, but the Canucks weren’t great in the shoutout (either our shooters like the Sedins even during their peak and Luongo).

True but about a year ago when I checked Luongo had over 50...turn those into ties and add another 5 and he’s got about 425 wins under the old system.   Still an amazing accomplishment, especially when 400 wins used to be otherworldly.   THN has a top 100 all-time goalie book/publishment, which they re-vise every couple years, one came out this year where do you think he ranked?  Hint it’s not even close to where his win ranking is...

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Bobs the man.  Pretty much says it all in a nutshell.  Bettman was right to say at the time it may be legal but it isn’t in the spirit of the CBA...of course Luongo wasn’t going to play 22 years in the NHL, no goalie does that.   MG must have thought he was pretty cute at the time ... same with Hossa.   One gets out on a technicality the other does not.  Someone has to pay and you better believe it will be us no matter what.   

I can say watching the fans boo and boo and boo was completely overboard at the draft.  I know it’s a thing that a lot of fans do around the league... but why?   Except for a select few rich owners and big market teams the cap helps everyone else.  When it was installed almost every fan was on the owners and NHLs side because salaries were getting completely out of control.  Have we forgotten already?  It’s starting again if anyone hasn’t noticed.

No hockey for a year was unbelievable, nobody ever thought that would occur especially the players,  but they were raping the owners so bad year after year what other choice did they have but to say enoughs enough and FU.  Why should they be making 75% of the revenue?  They rolled back 20% to make it work remember...

Since then the league has continued to grow and has actually prospered through a world - wide crisis that rivalled the Great Depression in the US at the time.. so many people lost their jobs and their homes around the world,  not here in Canada thank god because our banking laws weren’t insane.  I bet the NHL might of had to fold at that time if players continued to take the majority and most owners just hemorrhaged money to support their pet project, while their actual business was taking big huge hits.  Instead they got 15% raises while the rest of us working joes took the hit in our RRSPs etc. 

Bettman got his cost certainty, the cap had a floor and a ceiling which artificially keeps a bit of free market going within it, but small market teams were protected and big market teams with infinite dollars could no longer try to buy cups the way the NYR tried for years (go back and look at those late 90’s early 2000’s teams...how the heck didn’t they have a dynasty??!) unsuccessfully...much like the MLB NYY still do to this day with good results though.

Yet for some reason fans use Bettman as a lightning rod for all their hate and dettestment over the past.

FACTUALLY he is a hero.   I know the players still begrudge losing and having a cap (they are pros and losing isn’t in their nature) you can see it in their body language often when they are around him.  But we aren’t players, we actually won and won big time. Because we can compete with any other team in the league now ... Vancouver is and never will have the deepest pockets or be the biggest market.   No we aren’t small market...but their are a half dozen or so teams ahead of us at least and now we can compete on an even playing field with each of them.

I bet after the draft and the fans continually (and embarrassing themselves at the same time) booing the crap out of Bettman, it will still be fresh in his mind, and he will be smiling inside with the idea of a phone call from Benning for a free pass on his predecessor’s sins on the cap.   NO WAY are we getting out of it.   Just accept it for what it is.  And it was cap circumventing ... we should pay the price, thank MG for the memories and the money for either Erhoff or Hamhuis and move on. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

thats actually good to hear that we got a heads up. A lot of teams wouldn't do that - and some tweets above are suggesting that maybe it was just Lu that did. 

I still think FLA is benefitting unfairly in this, but they also didn't write the rules. If Tallon is the engineer of this and refused to allow Lu to go LTIR Aquilini needs to fight this, thats bs. There's no way they'd allow Nashville to get crushed under the weight of Webers contract if he returns with 3 years left. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

11 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol he's the only goalie in the league history to record 200+ wins on 2 seperate teams.. he's 1 of 2 goalie to lead 2 different franchise in all time wins.. although the other goalie shouldn't even count because he's the only goalie so far in that franchise and likely his record will be broken shortly (Fleury). it's also likely that franchise win record on 2 different team will never be broken. not that many goalies play for 1 franchise for 10+ year and let alone be a starter for almost 18 years.. 

Patrick Roy:

Montreal: Total Wins - 551

Colorado: Total Wins - 478

Season Team League   GP W L T/OTL MIN GA SO GAA SV%
1981–82 Ste-Foy Gouverneurs QAAA 40 27 3 10 2400 156 3 2.63
1982–83 Granby Bisons QMJHL 54 13 35 1 2808 293 0 6.26 .842
1983–84 Granby Bisons QMJHL 61 29 29 1 3585 265 0 4.44 .873
1984–85 Granby Bisons QMJHL 44 16 25 1 2463 228 0 5.55 .872
1984–85 Montreal Canadiens NHL 1 1 0 0 20 0 0 0.00 1.000
1984–85 Sherbrooke Canadiens AHL 1 1 0 0 60 4 0 4.00 .852
1985–86 Montreal Canadiens NHL 47 23 18 3 2649 148 1 3.35 .875
1986–87 Montreal Canadiens NHL 46 22 16 6 2681 131 1 2.93 .892