The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Luongo Retires

Rate this topic

20 minutes ago, Rubik said:

I wonder what's his username here... :P If anybody has a good guess, pm me. :lol:

I hear he used to be active, but I think he's more of a lurker these days.

2 hours ago, Nuck1991 said:

idk why media is congratulating him, he fuked us over. He can be all over panthers tiny dyk and see that franchise relocate. I hope he never comes to vancouver. Never deserved the cup that selfish fella

Lol, as for the cup he's 2011 cup champ in my books anyways but that's thanks to the Sedins Burr Kes Edler Hansen and company. 

22 minutes ago, FireGillis said:

The cap penalty is not high enough for anyone to be mad at Luongo for. It's not really a big deal. It would have been worse if he retired later. 

$3M isn't insignificant over the next 2 years as the cap is expected to not jump very much next year either and the difference between being able to sign a $3M player and $5M player is pretty substantial especially if the team is competitive and trying to make the playoffs. The 3rd year we should hopefully have a bigger jump in the cap so it will matter less. 

That said I don't blame Lu at all. Gillis & team offered him the ridiculous contract and it sounds like Florida are the ones not wanting to go through the ordeal of getting him on LTIR as it has no benefit to them. This isn't Lu's fault. 

Edited by Maketherightmove

5 hours ago, apollo said:

My blood is boiling. 

As for Luongo buying an ad in the province... This means absolutely nothing. It's not even pocket change for him. 

It means absolutely nothing. 

His entire NHL letter he talked about Florida... Its %100 clear Vancouver means absolutely nothing to him. He mentioned Vancouver once bringing up the Sedins and burrows 

The day he goes into the ring of honour will be a travesty. He doesn't deserve it one bit unless he resolves this. It's clear he retired because of injuries. 

We made him into the icon he became. We revolutionized the act of "Luuuing" 30+ times a game. 

Guess he didn't feel enough support from the 18500 fans who cheered him 30x a game....  he only had Florida's best interest at hand and has turned on the die hards that supported him through thick and thin 

Selfish move Roberto. Glad we spanked you and your pathetic franchise on January 13th 2019. Florida is the most pathetic dumpster on this planet. 

SMH... He choses to go somewhere where school shootings are big and the country is ran by trump over our pristine province... 

Edit: I need some time away from this bs. I've never felt so betrayed hockey wise. If luongo wants to be part of the panthers front office and never win a cup in his life then I guess that's his prerogative and I should support him never wanting to win a cup 

ur a luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuser

• Upvote 1

The man was treated like garbage by Torts but played like a boss for the most part of his time here, and does not deserve the crass comments about not doing the Canucks a solid in the way he retired.  Deserved a Vezina and a Cup.  Mad respect for Roberto, and here's hoping that he enjoys a well deserved retirement.  I also hope that he's brought back for a big thank you ceremony.  

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Hockey God said:

The man was treated like garbage by Torts but played like a boss for the most part of his time here, and does not deserve the crass comments about not doing the Canucks a solid in the way he retired.  Deserved a Vezina and a Cup.  Mad respect for Roberto, and here's hoping that he enjoys a well deserved retirement.  I also hope that he's brought back for a big thank you ceremony.  

/thread.

13 hours ago, IBatch said:

Without checking this I’m almost certain your wrong there, Roy certainly won 200 for MTL before going to COL.  

Agreed that goalies don’t play for as long as they used to but the ones that do can still pile up the wins if their team is good enough and they stick around.  With the shoot out and OT wins not counting as ties like they once were, it’s a lot easier to pile up the Ws too.  Ask Lundqvist has like 90 of them.   Quick .. Vasilevsky has a decent chance of getting 400 if he sticks around...

Luongo records with Vancouver will eventually get broken just like he did with McLean (who faded fast approaching 30).   Will take some time but it will happen.  Rinne is another current goalie that’s piled up the wins for one franchise so far..

Ok maybe I was wrong about the 200 win but still the only 1 of 2 that legit leads 2 franchise in win. I honestly dont see the Canucks win record being broken anytime in the near future. As most goalies dont even enter the league nowadays till they are 25 26 and they have to stay competitive and as a starter for 10 plus years. Also the team have to be relatively competitive Rinne vaseilesky lundquist are all top tier goalie in their prime. Vancouver's chance of having a top tier goalie is relatively slim. They certainly never had a home grown one with the exception of Schneider but he only had like 2 good years with devils and then injury and stuff pretty much ends his career as a #1. Before Luongo it was captain Kirk and with all due respect not even the same tier. 

13 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

We benefited for years sometimes you gotta pay.

Did you know that marian hossa signed the exact same deal except he had 4 years of 1 million at cap... None of which he played? 

This NHL is a joke. They aren't treating us fairly. 

4 minutes ago, Nuck1991 said:

sedins kes bur and all other are too be blamed for game 3, 4, 6 and 7?

The league and its referees chose the outcome of that series. The 2011 Canucks were miles better than any team that year, especially the bruins 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hockey God said:

If the league is going to apply the joke known as the "Luongo rule" - it's better that he retired now than in a year or two.

None of it is on Luongo.

The cap recap is a joke.

And if anyone is to "blame" - it's the much-vaunted cap genius / guru Gilman

Laurence Gilman Would Sign the Luongo Contract Again: “Ten Times Over”

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

If the league is going to apply the joke known as the "Luongo rule" - it's better that he retired now than in a year or two.

None of it is on Luongo.

The cap recap is a joke.

And if anyone is to "blame" - it's the much-vaunted cap genius / guru Gilman

Laurence Gilman Would Sign the Luongo Contract Again: “Ten Times Over”

Gilman deserves 0 blame. Him and Gillis played by the rules and did what was best for us. 

Why is Chicago being treated differently than us? Hossa signed 3 months before Luongo. 

If I'm Gilman I sign that contract 100 times over. It got us back to back league championships. 

The league is to blame. 

I wouldn't be angry had Chicago got the same penalty but this is clearly bs 

Edited by apollo
  • Cheers 1

@apollo I fail to see how you can now bash Luongo for this and say he lacks class doing this to the Canucks.

The truth is Luongo’s camp reached out to the Canucks to inform them he was likely to retire so they could plan around the cap hit. That is all class. 

• Upvote 1