The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Luongo Retires

Rate this topic

Making Luongo the captain was always criticized, and rightfully so due to position. But am I the only one who feels its positive for Lu looking back on his career?

I think it goes to show how not only the kind of leader he was, but how dedicated he was to the game, his craft & his team. It wasn't the right thing, but Luongo definitely earned his position as a leader, if not the leader, on those teams earlier on in his tenure.

8 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Dammit, Jim. I'd be screaming at Bettman right now. 

This is one of the reasons I’m so supportive of Benning. 

This is all class. 

They may be screaming at Bettman just now or at least voicing their displeasure about the situation, but on the facade Benning takes it on the chin, despite it being none of his doing. This is another spanner in the wheel, but no whining, crying or a $&!# load of excuses... as usual all class. 

Way to go Benning. 

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

21 hours ago, apollo said:

I'm still in shock... Roberto could have just gone on LTIR but he chose to turn his back on the fans that cheered him more than ANY fanbase in the history of sports. 

Name 1 other athlete that got cheered for over 30 times a night when on home ice?  Not to mention all the Luuuing we did when our fans were at road arenas. 

This is a vengeful act by Luongo who truly never loved Vancouver and always saw himself as a Florida man... Way to let your wife call the shots Lui. 

SMH 

This is really unfair on Luongo. 

He loves the Vancouver fans, but I would still think that the treatment he received on Torts watch still stings...

Florida have been good to him so he is hardly going to go against their wishes. 

The real d!cks in this, is Florida for pushing him to retire instead of LTIR and the league ( all the clubs) for coming up with this ridiculous back dated rule in the first place. 

PS. I’m also enraged by this... never expected this to happen, but Florida just gave Canucks a one fingered salute....

Hopefully one day we will be able to do the same. 

Edited by spook007
  • Upvote 4

12 hours ago, apollo said:

My blood is boiling. 

As for Luongo buying an ad in the province... This means absolutely nothing. It's not even pocket change for him. 

It means absolutely nothing. 

His entire NHL letter he talked about Florida... Its %100 clear Vancouver means absolutely nothing to him. He mentioned Vancouver once bringing up the Sedins and burrows 

The day he goes into the ring of honour will be a travesty. He doesn't deserve it one bit unless he resolves this. It's clear he retired because of injuries. 

We made him into the icon he became. We revolutionized the act of "Luuuing" 30+ times a game. 

Guess he didn't feel enough support from the 18500 fans who cheered him 30x a game....  he only had Florida's best interest at hand and has turned on the die hards that supported him through thick and thin 

Selfish move Roberto. Glad we spanked you and your pathetic franchise on January 13th 2019. Florida is the most pathetic dumpster on this planet. 

SMH... He choses to go somewhere where school shootings are big and the country is ran by trump over our pristine province... 

Edit: I need some time away from this bs. I've never felt so betrayed hockey wise. If luongo wants to be part of the panthers front office and never win a cup in his life then I guess that's his prerogative and I should support him never wanting to win a cup 

Ohhhhhhhh big boy has her blood boiling?  Outta here fool.  Luongo owes you nothing and although you post 100x’s a day neither does anyone else.  Get a hobby besides posting here 24x7.

Luongo is the greatest goalie we ever had and no matter how many shyte posts you make in every GDT or which ever thread you find, it will not change that fact.  

You are a bitter chump.  Quit being a bitter girlfriend.

Edited by I_AM_CANUCKIAN
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, apollo said:

Gilman deserves 0 blame. Him and Gillis played by the rules and did what was best for us. 

Why is Chicago being treated differently than us? Hossa signed 3 months before Luongo. 

If I'm Gilman I sign that contract 100 times over. It got us back to back league championships. 

The league is to blame. 

I wouldn't be angry had Chicago got the same penalty but this is clearly bs 

All over the place.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, I_AM_CANUCKIAN said:

Ohhhhhhhh big boy has her blood boiling?  Outta here fool.  Luongo owes you nothing and although you post 100x’s a day neither does anyone else.  Get a hobby besides posting here 24x7.

Luongo is the greatest goalie we ever had and no matter how many shyte posts you make in every GDT or which ever thread you find, it will not change that fact.  

You are a bitter chump.  Quit being a bitter girlfriend.

God bless your soul... my plate is full in terms of hobbies but thanks for your concern :)

I'm outraged because I'm passionate about this team and this just isn't right. The Hossa contract was even worse than Luongos... Hossa and the Hawks cheated even more since be "retired" 1 season earlier. 

Chicago gets off free and Vancouver has to suffer the 3 million? For 3 years?! 

Ryan Callahan, Kovalchuk, Mike Richads... All these American teams just had these massive contracts wiped clean... But when it comes to us, we get this?! 

It's not right and what's even worse is that Luongo didn't just do one last favour for our fans. This was spiteful. 

At the end of the day, Luongo knew what officially retiring would cost Vancouver and he didn't care how that made the fans feel. The same fans that stuck with him through thick and thin. 

He's just not the man I idolized for almost 15 years and it hurts. 

Clearly he still feels bitter about how things turned out here and doesn't like the city. His province ad was a pr move 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

Im not sure if the league realizes it, but without the Canadian teams and fans the league would probably fold faster than Luongo with deuce seven off suit. 

Just another clear indication of the bias held against vancouver. You dont even need to wear a tinfoil hat for this one. 

Would it fold faster than Loungo with a deuce between periods?