The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Luongo Retires

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Digging up a link, but on 650 they just said Friedman reported that Luongo is likely to retire this week.

Didn't Fried report that Eagle was hitting UFA and not signing here as well? 

Congrats to Luongo, well deserved.  I think he has too much integrity to dose off on LTIR.  Prefers to hang them up the right way.

Still, Unbelievable how this team never gets a break while others always finds a way.  At least, the impact is manageable right now.

Edited by timberz21
  • Cheers 1

Just now, goalie13 said:

End of a great career.  Too bad injuries caught up with Luongo.

If this is a straight up retirement rather than one of those LTIR unfit to play situations, then yikes, doesn't this burn the Canucks with a $3M cap hit for the next 3-years?  That would lower the current cap space of about $17.5M to $14.5M which puts the Canucks in a cap crunch to re-sign Boeser, their RFAs and additional help.  No hard feelings to Luongo of course for the likely decision to straight up retire, this just works out terribly for the Canucks.

If Boeser is re-signed for a $6M hit (irrespective of term - this is also lower than what Boeser could get), then that leaves $8.5M to re-sign 8 RFAs of which Leivo, Goldobin and Motte are most likely to be in the NHL.  They still need to sign at least two D (one of which would occupy a top-4 role) and presumably a 3rd D for added NHL depth though this might accelerate the need to have Juolevi play a big role at the NHL-level.

I might be mistaken but management could open up cap space by burying part of the Spooner and Schaller contracts in the minors but that won't be that much help.  Eriksson's contract is looking way more like an anchor at this point.  While I wasn't too troubled by Roussel's and Beagle's deals, if it was possible to sign them each for less than $3M per year, then those extra dollars may be that much more important now.

Not sure if buyouts will benefit the Canucks too much at this point.  There have to be some trades upcoming though I'm thinking the odds of Eriksson being exchanged for another bad contract may be less likely now since the Canucks would want to clear cap space themselves.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well, damn. I thought he'd go LTIR.

Well, at least we know. 

So all these contacts around the NHL and teams cut breaks and we get stuck. Unreal. It is seriously difficult at times to be a Canuck fan. Tough to argue we aren't cursed at times. Why the hell cant he just say my body is broken and I cant play? WTF?

• Cheers 3