The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Luongo Retires

Rate this topic

5 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

A retroactive penalty in the current CBA which Aquillini agreed to. It's BS that other teams weasel out of it, but our owner agreed to this. 

Right Aquilini should have just not signed it. That would have gone well. Why didn’t he think of that? What a dumbass.

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

MG said he would fight tooth or nail if the capture is ever applied. Time to re-hire MG?

And this is why you don't trust someone who expects themselves to still be here when it happens in an industry practically based on firing GMs and coaches.

Anyone who's buying that he'd fight it after 10 years is so gullible that I have a piece of swampland for sale.....

Edited by The Lock

I remember the day we acquired Luongo, it was on the front page of the newspaper.

I was so excited, he was my favorite goalie at the time and I couldn't believe we got him.

He came in and absolutely stood on his head for us for the first couple years.

Changed his style after that groin injury but ultimately he was a terrific player.

Remember the special with Bobby Lu reading his poem or haiku? Whatever it was.

"Luuuuuuu.....Beautiful"

Or the twisted tune of "Lola" redone as Luongo.

"Well he is the teams most passionate guy and he saves our ass almost every night yeah Luongo! La la la Luongo!"

He really seemed to enjoy his time here until the last couple years when the gong show began. He gave it his all for us.

I think he was treated unfairly at times, all goalies get blown out sometimes, he couldn't score goals for our offense starved team in the end.

Thank you Roberto 

You were one of my favorites

What a shame you never got a Vezina or the cup.

Have a great retirement.

Now let's see if we get slapped with recapture, I assume we will, in typical Canuck fashion.

• Upvote 2

So the free agency class of 2022 looks decent with players like Coutourier, Seth Jones, Alexandre Barkov. This could and should be the year the Canucks make a big free agent splash to compete for the cup.

All things said and done today, hopefully the hockey gods give us a break to get Eriksson gone, but if he rides it out as is his right the Canucks would get 9 million in space from those two contracts/penalties off the books.

Hopefully for the time being Juolevi and eventually Woo turn into must have type players. The team can still be competitive

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I have said it once, twice a hundred times.

The Luongo deal was ratified under the old CBA.  As such it was agreed upon by the team, 29 different owners and the leagues head offices and NHLPA.  The joke about the "Luongo rule" after they changed the rules was that the league would try to enforce this but lose because it was signed in good faith.  If the league attempts to hold the Canucks liable after changing the parameters of the contracts than no court in the world would side with the league.

Because at days end, this was signed off on under the old CBA and at no point in time can you change the terms of an agreement after they are signed.  I don't recall Luongo agreeing to a rule change and as he was one of the signatories of this contract it is still binding under the old rules as well.

I hope Luongo finds a "medical illness" but at the same time hope he outright retires as the greatest goalie to never win a cup because the Canucks would destroy the league in a court fight on this period.

For further reference about "rule changes" see the NJD Kovalcash issue in which the league fined NJ but then relented once, then twice and gave them their pick back

You're quite right. I just hope the Canucks don't let this slide, and fight it as they should. There is no way that the Canucks should have that amount count towards their cap hit. 

It's too bad Lu couldn't have just looked for a medical reason not to play, as it sounds like his body no longer works, but he always did have a big ego - it's part of the package, so announcing his retirement early rather than helping out Florida or Vancouver through medical tests / rationale to omit the cap relevance seems a bit like a me-above-the-teams move.

Edited by Slegr

I live in Calgary. Usually go to at least one Canucks game a year at the Saddledome. But I only went to one game this season, against the Panthers. Rocked my Luongo stick-in-rink jersey.

Good to see him go out on his own terms.

Edited by D-Money
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I guess there wasn’t any room left on Robida island for poor Lu! Hossa,Prongs,Callahan all sitting pretty on the beach. Joffrey Lupul was not in good shape to play and his contract gets swept under as well. Only the Canucks that get the punishment. No wonder why they labeled the rule the “Luongo rule”, it’s a good thing we have cap space, won’t get all the FA shopping that we were hoping for. Perhaps a blessing in disguise. 

That said about the present, I will and hopefully all long time Canucks fans will always remember the past and what a great goalie Lu was for this franchise. He got us to one game of winning it all, won the country gold in his adopted city and broke numerous records for this team. Those are memories he gave us and I am forever grateful that he gave us those. WE LOVE LU! Now and forever!

20669FAC-D8CF-442F-A3D9-60F391ED58BD.jpeg

39C332D0-C33E-4FA4-844C-15FF80DBBA92.jpeg

8BD4D269-630D-48CA-8688-E2F7F643D109.jpeg

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

So I am surprised this actually happened. Everybody I have ever heard talk about this on the radio (Kevin Woolley repeatedly and Brian Burke) sounded so sure Luongo would just go onto LTIR for the remainder of his contract instead of retiring.

I just wanted to apologize to everyone who ever started a topic about or brought up Luongo’s cap recapture penalty, I often said it was pointless to talk about. 

Anyways I was dead wrong and you were all right haha.

Anyways with this $3 million cap hit plus Millers $5.25 million dollar cap hit, Boesers $6-7 million cap hit (assumption) plus other RFAs, we are running out of cap space quick.

We still have players who we can try and move to clear up more cap space like Brandon Sutter or a Louis Eriksson post July 1, only worth trading if you don’t take a worse contract (Lucic). 

What once looked like a free agency period where we could sign 2 big name players, is quickly becoming maybe 1 big name player or more likely 1 2nd tier player overpaid long term (because it’s Free agency).

Should we still try and sign 1 of the top free agents or because of our quickly disintegrating cap space, should we just be patient in free agency and maybe try and actually steal a good player (via trade) from a team in cap hell?

Edited by TheRealistOptimist
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

He says it right in his letter, he's having health issues, problems with his hip. He needed to stop playing, I think the Canucks can appeal the recapture based on a number of things, including that.

there's a clear conflict of interest here. Florida gets 1) to clear cap space, 2) clear a roster spot, 3) not carry LTIR money. If this was fair, Florida would carry their portion of the recapture and not us.

At the very least, we should be able to count our recapture as LTIR money since he says he needed to retire due to hip problems. 

• Upvote 3

GREAT SAVE LUONGO!

OH WHAT A SAVE BY LUONGO!

BINGO BANGO BONGO, HIS NAME IS ROBERTO LUONGO!

Acquiring Luongo is definitely in the top 3 best trades in Canucks history next to acquiring Nazzy.

Best goalie to never win a Cup!

Thank you LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2