The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Putting the Miller trade in context: What is Horvat worth?

Rate this topic

Tomato Pajamas

23 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He's a grittier Horvat-light 

If Miller was available mid year without all the cap and NTC pressure, IMO, with that contract, you're looking at a first, solid prospect and a mid pick.

We got a very good player at a very good price.

Time will tell, Booth and Eriksson were suppose to be good top 6 players for us too. Miller could be more of a Sutter than a Horvat, wont know for sure until he comes in and produces.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

we did. It was still expensive but we got quality back. It was painfully clear that Petey and Brocks line needed a player like this, and we really had no one to take that role on our roster. Miller-Petey-Brock is a legit NHL top line that teams will have a hard time stopping.  

I think Miller will play on a line with Horvat and Pearson.

Baertschi Pettersson Boeser

Miller Horvat Pearson

Sutter Gaudette Virtanen

Roussel Beagle Leivo

4 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Time will tell, Booth and Eriksson were suppose to be good top 6 players for us too. Miller could be more of a Sutter than a Horvat, wont know for sure until he comes in and produces.

Time will tell.

For the record, I never wanted Eriksson and Booth was not as good of a player as Miller.

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, Yung1 said:

Actually pretty silly comparables. Loui was signed over 30 y/o and booth was a player with concussion history who actually had a pretty decent first season with us before he ran into more injuries. 

JT Miller is just entering his prime and has so far been very durable in his career. He was also buried in one of the most talented forward groups in recent memory. All signs point to JT Miller being a promising addition and to say "oh well he could turn out to be $&!#" is beyond reasonable pessimism. 

Loui was 30 years old and coming off a 30 goal and 60 point season. He had also had 3 70+ point seasons and 2 60+ point seasons. Just saying he was clearly not a good fit here, shouldn't be the same with Miller but its too early to say he will be another Horvat. The guy has been traded twice already and Lightning could have traded a guy like Tyler Johnson or Palat or Killorn instead as they are in win now mode. He also spent a little time in AV's doghouse and on lightnings third line.       

Edited by Bure_Pavel

I personally don't think Miller and Horvat's game are similar at all. But that's likely to do with how both players have been utilized on their respective teams.

Horvat's entry into the NHL has been more of a trial by fire. Until Pettersson came along, Horvat and the Canucks had been in the trenches. Miller has been on a contending team for his entire career. Yet Horvat has better numbers. He's a player that's been tested and seasoned in adverse circumstances. I know that's more of an intangible, but I think it shows that if the circumstances were reversed Horvat would have posted better numbers with the Rangers and Lightening. 

But to answer your question. I guess it would depend on who our dance partner was and where that first overall was at. 

If New Jersey offered us the first overall, a third and Eddie Lack. I would absolutely pull the trigger. The Canucks would have a 1A and 1B at centre. Imagine a powerplay with Pettersson, Boeser, Podkolzin, Q Hughes and J Hughes. 

If Colorado offered Ottawa's first, a third and their AHL goalie at the trade deadline, I'd ask for more because of the risk attached on our end. Since who know's if Ottawa's pick would have won the lottery or if they'd have managed to claw their way into a playoff spot. 

Edited by Clock Tower Prison
  • Upvote 1

Well thought out post, Pajamas. Enough so that most of the "JB did it so I will pretend it's stupid" posters have so far stayed out. The only criticism I have is you could have made it more readable by breaking down your "wall of text" paragraphs into a more digestible size.

...was listening to 960 the fan...boys were talking about all the first round picks that were not qualified by their teams this year...there are a lot of them.

People should remember, 1st round picks are not guaranteed NHL players....(i.e., Nail Yakupov to name one).

• Cheers 2

I think Bo is by far and away the better of the two players. So I am not even going to use the comparison.

All I can say is it would take a s**t tonne to make me willing to part with Bo.  His leadership.  His reasonable contract. The fact he doesn't regularly play with linemates of his talent level but still puts up near 1st line numbers. The fact he's just a great guy and plays the way we want him to play. The fact he is a big body and defensively responsible while still contributing. He's literally exactly what we need and want for our 2nd line center. 

2 1sts wouldn't even do it for me.  (Unless they were really high - *maybe*)

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Johnny Torts said:

1st Rounder, 2nd Rounder, (A) level prospect. To Start.  And there would be a bidding war for Bo's services.

I second this value for Bo.  Not being a homer, just an impartial assessment and that 1st rounder better be somewhere in the 3rd-15th overall.