The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo vs Bure

Rate this topic

Z.Kassian9

Luongo vs Bure  

94 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

50 minutes ago, khay said:

Is there any HoF whose jersey isn't retired by the team?

We retire his jersey if he goes in there as Panther/Canuck. If he goes in there only as a Panther, then I'd say no.

He doesn't really go into the Hall "as" anything.  He just goes in.

Yeah, there are plenty of Hall of Famers whose numbers aren't retired by some or even all of their teams.  Guys like Dave Andreychuk, Larry Murphy and Mark Recchi spent their careers giving a team something like four or five good years and then moving on.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Yeah, there are plenty of Hall of Famers whose numbers aren't retired by some or even all of their teams.  Guys like Dave Andreychuk, Larry Murphy and Mark Recchi spent their careers giving a team something like four or five good years and then moving on.

I always thought you choose the team that you represent. Thanks for pointing that out.

• Upvote 1

Luongo doesn't make it into the HoF without the Stellar Canuck teams he played on. McClean remains equally legendary and arguably more so when you factor in the underdog teams he played on and the 1994 run had MacClean as a Hero, the whole way through. 7uongo on, the other hand, is a Legend as well but was always a Legend in his own mind and never won anything to back it up.

Edge goes to McClean.

None of the Canucks should have their jersey's retired but now that Naslund is up there, the door is wide open I suppose.

As far as actual hockey player goes, Bure is head and shoulders above every Canuck who has ever worn one of the dozens of jersey variations in Vancouver. If you want to advance stat with Smiliness, Likability, Ability to speak English, Hair-do points and Twitter scores, then ya, Luongo is your man.

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

Ring of honor.  He is the best goalie of all time in Vancouver.  But still didnt do enough for his number to be retired.

I agree.. besides, retiring #1 is pretty tough for our future goalies. I think if a #1 gets retired, it needs to have brought us a cup as a minimum.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Luongo is one of the best goalies of all time & most of his best years were here in Vancouver.

Hes one of the greatest Canucks of all time. His acquisition changed everything for this franchise.

I voted yes. Should absolutely be retired IMO.

I do agree on Luongo being the Canucks best goalie, and one of the best in the league for sure, but you can't say he "changed everything for this franchise." That is a strong statement. Luongo was acquired prior to the 06-07 season. Before the acquisition, the Canucks had 42 wins in 05-06, 43 wins in 03-04, 45 wins in 02-03 and 42 wins in 01-02. After the acquisition they went to 49 wins then 39, 45, 49 and so on. Luongo made them into legit contenders from just a normal playoff team and fixed their goalie instability they had before. I am a huge Luongo fan myself but I'm just trying to be realistic.

2 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Larry Murphy is a tough one in he tended to move around a lot, peak career just spread out in too many cities.  At least in Luongo’s case, essentially his career is from just two teams.  Mark Recchi couldn’t remember the hippocratic oath, and the Medical lobby is quite strong in NA cities so they’ve blackballed him.:P

47 minutes ago, Z.Kassian9 said:

I do agree on Luongo being the Canucks best goalie, and one of the best in the league for sure, but you can't say he "changed everything for this franchise." That is a strong statement. Luongo was acquired prior to the 06-07 season. Before the acquisition, the Canucks had 42 wins in 05-06, 43 wins in 03-04, 45 wins in 02-03 and 42 wins in 01-02. After the acquisition they went to 49 wins then 39, 45, 49 and so on. Luongo made them into legit contenders from just a normal playoff team and fixed their goalie instability they had before. I am a huge Luongo fan myself but I'm just trying to be realistic.

Yeah but that team/core was declining. Jovo was gone, WCE had declined, without Luongo we wouldnt have turned things around so quickly. And wouldnt have reached the heights we did in the Gillis era.

2 hours ago, Boeserker said:

Luongo doesn't make it into the HoF without the Stellar Canuck teams he played on. McClean remains equally legendary and arguably more so when you factor in the underdog teams he played on and the 1994 run had MacClean as a Hero, the whole way through. 7uongo on, the other hand, is a Legend as well but was always a Legend in his own mind and never won anything to back it up.

Edge goes to McClean.

None of the Canucks should have their jersey's retired but now that Naslund is up there, the door is wide open I suppose.

As far as actual hockey player goes, Bure is head and shoulders above every Canuck who has ever worn one of the dozens of jersey variations in Vancouver. If you want to advance stat with Smiliness, Likability, Ability to speak English, Hair-do points and Twitter scores, then ya, Luongo is your man.

Lose that disrespect about Luongo. McLean isn't even in the same league as Lu. Lu is a top 5 goalie of all time. His stats were amazing on the bad Florida teams and before we were a good team.

I agree there are players up there that don't deserve it.

Luongo deserves it as one of the best goaltenders of all time, the best goalie in Canucks history and very well could be the best goalie we ever have.