The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning: June 27th, 2019 (Recapture penality/free agency)

Rate this topic

Rush17

33 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

While I don’t necessarily agree with your thoughts on Benning, as a fighter I was always taught if you’re gonna go down, go down swinging. Swing away JB. Swing away. 

Na straight punch. No swing. Hit them before they expect it. In the jugular. ..

I guess no one expects the canucks to make an impact but i think(hope) Benning has other plans...

Edited by bpow
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, amplified0ne said:

Will be very interesting to see what happens with Shea Weber, 24+ million cap recapture if he retires in the last season of his contract.  Would the league allow that to be charged to Nashville?  If they change the rules or make an exception that will be very telling.

I'm sure they'll trot out that old excuse that "it's a different era now" so they can screw the Nucks now but let an American team off the hook later

11 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

The rumors that Lou wanted to go onto LTIR and Florida forced a retirement has left a bitter taste in my mouth. There should be recourse here for our team. Instead we're just going to accept this bull$&!#. 

How can Florida force him to retire?

1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

I think we just have to trust the man. Have faith in him and his ability to get us over this little speed bump. 

One positive is we have a lot of prospects in the cubboards. Most of which will be on very affordable contracts.

If we were adding all through free agency then I'd be worried. We got lots of kids who can step in over the next 3 years. Most importantly in 2 years time when our salary might get tight with Petey and Hughes up.

Good chance a few of: Lind, madden, gadjovich, hoglander, Lockwood, among others will be here. Not to mention podz who could be here late in the 20-21 season.

We got prospect depth coming up. Plus Miller and Bo are on great value deals for the next 4 years.

Don't try and douse panic with logic! :gocan:

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

if they let Weber's contract slide we should ask for the same judgement retroactively.

How would that work though? An additional ~3m added to our cap? Wouldn’t ever happen. Regardless, it’s a joke, but the people somehow pissed off at Luongo for this are being pretty silly. Be mad at the league, or even the Panthers for pushing Luongo to retire, but he’s not really to blame for this.

As Canucks fans, should we really be surprised?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

7 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Hopefully not like Semin

hTOqFLu.gif

But more like Sea Bass

tenor.gif?itemid=4096960

We laugh at Semin's slapping, but who is the turtle taking that?  That guy needs some serious laughing directed his way.  My God!  :lol::lol::lol:

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

The rumors that Lou wanted to go onto LTIR and Florida forced a retirement has left a bitter taste in my mouth. There should be recourse here for our team. Instead we're just going to accept this bull$&!#. 

Of course Lou would. Then he still gets paid. The league can send the player to an independant doctor for assessment the team gets fined if determined to be in violation. I suspect Florida would rather take the minor cap penalty then actually have to pay Lou to not play.

5 hours ago, timberz21 said:

How can Florida force him to retire?

Force is the wrong word.

How about the unspoken "force" of less of a chance at being a part of the Florida organization after he leaves hockey? Less of a chance he'll get honors like a jersey retirement or at least the equivalent of a ring of honour accolade? He and his Florida family are not moving back here anytime. I'm sure he realizes that pleasing the Panthers is more beneficial to him than helping his old team way up in Canada.

Edited by kilgore

41 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Force is the wrong word.

How about the unspoken "force" of less of a chance at being a part of the Florida organization after he leaves hockey? Less of a chance he'll get honors like a jersey retirement or at least the equivalent of a ring of honour accolade? He and his Florida family are not moving back here anytime. I'm sure he realizes that pleasing the Panthers is more beneficial to him than helping his old team way up in Canada.

So your talking about blackmail?   I'm sure Dale Tallon has more integrity than that.  Easy to throw these type of accusation from out here, but ultimately Luongo has always been a class act, I'm sure Florida wouldn't treat him that way. 

That is pure fiction.  If that was true, do you really think Luongo go along and would want to be part of such shady and unethically management and organization?  I mean come on, think about it.

Edited by timberz21

7 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

So your talking about blackmail?   I'm sure Dale Tallon has more integrity than that.  Easy to throw these type of accusation from out here, but ultimately Luongo has always been a class act, I'm sure Florida wouldn't treat him that way. 

That is pure fiction.  If that was true, do you really think Luongo go along and would want to be part of such shady and unethically management and organization?  I mean come on, think about it.

I said "unspoken".  

Come on.  its common sense. Not a conspiracy.  Its not like Lu's decision to retire is illegal.  Its just something that with other players in a similar situation have all gone on long term IR. That Lu forfeited money in order to help the Panthers. That he's long been rumoured to be interested in being a part of the Panthers org for awhile now, and his wife's family is not going anywhere. Its all circumstantial, but its a bit of a stretch to think the Panthers wouldn't be happier with him if he forfeits 3 million dollars for himself, while saving the Panthers of millions. You can argue that all this was random, that Lu didn't take into consideration at all of the Panthers situation. But, just my opinion, I doubt it.