The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Goaltending Situation Going Forward

Rate this topic

ButterBean

One of Jim Benning’s comments recently caught my attention when he said he expects Thatcher Demko to play 20-30 games this upcoming year. The next year after that it’s not realistic to have both of them on the roster. In my opinion we should trade Markstrom while his value is still high and roll with Demko going forward and he’s hitting his prime. I feel like the longer we wait the more Marky’s value can go down and there’s a possibility we lose him for nothing in free agency. This could be yet another case of JB’s poor “asset management”. 

Now if Marky plays lights out this season and proves that last year wasn’t some fluke, we face the decision of using Demko as trade bait. Demko could fetch us more (considering his age and draft status) and we could get a solid haul for him like a impactful dman/forward and/or picks/prospects. That would also buy some time for DiPietro waiting in the wings and taking over once he’s ready in roughly 3 year or so. 

Either way I’m pretty confident with either of these goalies being our starter. How do you guys see the situation playing out and who do you think should be our guy, Markstrom or Demko? 

• Upvote 2

It's a bit of a tough situation because Markstrom's contract is up after this season. I'd obviously prefer to hold on to Demko, but he's still unproven. Even if we resign Markstrom, the Seattle expansion draft also throws a monkey wrench into things as well. We may end up being forced into a situation where we have to lose Markstrom for nothing. 

So that brings up the possibility of trading Demko. While he'd certainly be a nice trade chip, it requires us to have a lot of faith in DiPietro going forward, and I'm not sure that I do. 

I could see a situation playing out in which we resign Markstrom next year, then move him at the trade deadline later that year. However, because of the timing and the fact that the expansion draft would be right around the corner at that point, I can't imagine us netting much of a return.

Like I said, we may be looking at a situation where we're forced to lose Markstrom for nothing. It's nobody's fault really, just a perfect storm of bad timing (The expansion draft, Markstrom's contract, and Demko's development curve).

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Upvote 3

Demko. There should be no talks of trading him. Markstrom is 29 and he finally a decent year. But a few months of good hockey doesn't constitute as an elite player.

Demko is an elite prospect. He will be a top rung goaltender. Probably won't see him play more than 30 games this year. However I believe Markstrom is nothing more than a stop-gap until Demko is truly ready to play 60+ games.

• Upvote 3

Markstrom. The guy is an absolute beast. But the NHL is moving towards 2 starters on good teams, so the combo of Marky and Demko going forward is great. 

I think its been a few months since we saw VAN play so we are forgetting what we saw from Markstrom.

Edited by Johnny Torts
Did great, given the fact that Pouliot was trying to score on him most nights.
  • Upvote 3

Dump demko now for a top 4 D or a bonafied top 6 scorer marky can hold the fort for the next 3 years ...alot of teams seem to be looking for goalies and his value right now or at least by the deadline will be high because based on what ive seen from him he plays stiff and will be very injury prone going forward hes definently a trade chip that can be used to benefit this team to make them even more competetive 

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Each team can only protect one goalie as per expansion draft rules. That means there will be 30 backup goalies exposed to Seattle.

If you protect nine players, you can THEN protect two goalies.

Double check this: it's 3 D and 7 F and 1 G.

or

9 combined D and F with 2 goalies....

4 minutes ago, 6string said:

If you protect nine players, you can THEN protect two goalies.

Double check this: it's 3 D and 7 F and 1 G.

or

9 combined D and F with 2 goalies....

I was under the impression that it was either seven forwards, 3 defensemen and one goalie, or eight skaters (regardless of position) and one goalie.

• Cheers 2