The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Goaltending Situation Going Forward

Rate this topic

ButterBean

8 minutes ago, 6string said:

If you protect nine players, you can THEN protect two goalies.

Double check this: it's 3 D and 7 F and 1 G.

or

9 combined D and F with 2 goalies....

No you cannot...

https://www.nhl.com/news/seattle-2021-nhl-expansion-draft-rules-same-as-vegas-golden-knights-followed/c-302586918

Current NHL teams can protect seven forwards, three defensemen and one goalie, or eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goalie, under the following conditions.

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No you cannot...

https://www.nhl.com/news/seattle-2021-nhl-expansion-draft-rules-same-as-vegas-golden-knights-followed/c-302586918

Current NHL teams can protect seven forwards, three defensemen and one goalie, or eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goalie, under the following conditions.

250686232_doh(2).jpg.322da0253edca421fef7fc73020da74b.jpg

Edited by 6string

12 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I was under the impression that it was either seven forwards, 3 defensemen and one goalie, or eight skaters (regardless of position) and one goalie.

7 - 3 -1 equals 11

8 - 1 goalie equals 9

A no brainer then, I'll protect 11!

And still keep the same goalie!

Edited by 6string

I'm leaning towards trading Markstrom near the deadline unless we're in playoff contention (which is very possible). Either way, I envision us losing Markstrom and signing another netminder to trade off with Demko in a 1A and 1B situation for 2020-21. I love Marky, but Demko is younger and could easily end up as good or better.

Keep markstrom. Hes just entering his prime. He was MVP of the team for a reason last year. I would sign him to a 4-5 year deal. By year 3/4 Demko should be a solid 1B and really pushing for the starting job if all goes well. Cant throw all our trust in Demko right away he still has a lot of things to work on and isnt at NHL starter level right now. 

Seattle must choose a minimum of 20 players under contract for the 2021-22 regular season and those with an aggregate Expansion Draft value that is between 60-100 percent of the prior season's upper limit for the salary cap. Seattle cannot buy out players chosen in the Expansion Draft earlier than the summer following its first season.

* All players with no movement clauses at the time of the draft, and who decline to waive those clauses, must be protected and will be counted toward their team's applicable protection limits.

* All first- and second-year NHL players, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward protection limits.

In addition, all NHL teams must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the draft:

* One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played in at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

* Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

* One goalie who is under contract in 2021-22 or will be a restricted free agent at the end of his current contract immediately prior to 2021-22. If a team elects to make a restricted free agent goalie available to meet this requirement, that goalie must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the team's protected list.

* Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a team's player exposure requirements unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection.

If the defense improves its play by 20 percent and Markstrom still working with Clark I can see his save percentage going up by quite a few points.If Demko is rolled in 1 out of every 4 games and plays well then Marky could be traded out for the lost first rounder.A proven quality starting goalie has significant value by January for a desperate team.Definitely by the trade deadline.

8 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I'm leaning towards trading Markstrom near the deadline unless we're in playoff contention (which is very possible). Either way, I envision us losing Markstrom and signing another netminder to trade off with Demko in a 1A and 1B situation for 2020-21. I love Marky, but Demko is younger and could easily end up as good or better.

A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush

Either way, the Canucks will be losing a better player than Luca Sbisa in the Seattle expansion draft simply because the roster is better and deeper.  DiPietro will be hidden in the minors.  Who knows, he may be the best of the 3 goalies.  I expect good D and forwards exposed as well but they should be able to protect the core.

An interesting point is that we'll find out who management thinks the core of the team will be.  

I just hope they don't have to protect Loui Eriksson :sadno:

Doesn’t anyone remember Lack?  His stats were even better then Markstroms, and what did we get for him?   Goalies are the easiest position to fill league wide, heck look what that guy did in the playoffs at 35 that we discarded Mckenlly or however you spell his name.  

Trading Markstrom won’t get us much of a return, we might be better off keeping him and using him a expansion bait.   Who would you rather lose a Lind type prospect (2nd rounder who by then could be on the cusp of the NHL) and get maybe a 2nd rounder for Markstrom in a trade AND lose his veteran sheltering of Demko, OR lose Markstrom in the expansion draft, keep him for two more years and keep Lind or equivalent...

Both ideas have merit as maybe Demko is ready in a year and like I’ve already stared its easy to find a back-up...but we’d likely also have to trade an asset to do that which also needs to be factored in.   It really comes down to Demko...

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Hughes alone isn't good enough?

It’ll take time for him to adjust his game to the NHL level.  Plus Green isn’t going to throw him in the deep end of the pool right away.  If Edler & Tanev weren’t fragile and or not have a lot of mileage on their bodies, I might feel different.  Whether one thinks Hutton is only a third pairing guy or not, he’s another guy that needs to be replaced (he HAD worked well with Stecher to form a fine pairing before they were overworked as a result of injuries on the D).  Right now, we’re dangerously thin on the blueline.

Look at Boeser as an example.  Looked gassed at times as a result of playing a long season.  His conditioning will improve as he gets the hang of it.  Same will happen to Hughes.  He’s still a kid.  He’ll get better but it will take time.  82 NHL games with the Canucks travel schedule is like a long marathon.  

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

Marky stealing games last season is great.  He's finally arrived. 

The real question is what's best for this club long-term?

At Markys age/experience can we realistically expect him to continue to become significantly better?  I can see more consistency,  but an outright better goalie?    I just don't know? 

Demko on the other hand fits the core age profile,  but if he's the goalie we all hope he will be are we going to be able to afford him when he emerges from elc/RFA status?

JB's got some tricks up his sleeve as witnessed by the Miller acquisition- let's see how the Goaltending situation plays out.

• Cheers 1

Sign Marky to a 1yr extension so he becomes a UFA before the ED.  Like Edler, they can re-sign after the draft.

With Pearson entering UFA before the ED, the Canucks can easily protect their best forwards: Bo, Miller, Pete, Brock; and 3 of Gaud, JT, Roussel and Beagle can be protected as well.  2 more seasons before the decision has to be made, so only the core forwards will be a sure thing and their maybe trades involving 1 or 2 of the others.

Only Stecher and new ufa rd guy would need to be protected, so they have 1 extra space at D.

I think the Nucks will do alright for the ED.

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

Marky stealing games last season is great.  He's finally arrived. 

The real question is what's best for this club long-term?

At Markys age/experience can we realistically expect him to continue to become significantly better?  I can see more consistency,  but an outright better goalie?    I just don't know? 

Demko on the other hand fits the core age profile,  but if he's the goalie we all hope he will be are we going to be able to afford him when he emerges from elc/RFA status?

JB's got some tricks up his sleeve as witnessed by the Miller acquisition- let's see how the Goaltending situation plays out.

Markstrom can still have a long career if he’s the type of goalie that peaks in his thirties...happens from time to time...heck Thomas was 37 when he beat us and won a bunch of hardware two years in a row...

That would be great for the Canucks ... we’d have options, it really depends more on how Demko plays and if he’s really going to be an upgrade...everything points in that direction, he’s better then Markstrom was at the same age..but for now anyways he’s going to be sheltered, play the easier teams etc.  

When Schneider was pushing Luongo he was really really good...time for a good old fashioned goalie battle..

53 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Sign Marky to a 1yr extension so he becomes a UFA before the ED.  Like Edler, they can re-sign after the draft.

With Pearson entering UFA before the ED, the Canucks can easily protect their best forwards: Bo, Miller, Pete, Brock; and 3 of Gaud, JT, Roussel and Beagle can be protected as well.  2 more seasons before the decision has to be made, so only the core forwards will be a sure thing and their maybe trades involving 1 or 2 of the others.

Only Stecher and new ufa rd guy would need to be protected, so they have 1 extra space at D.

I think the Nucks will do alright for the ED.

It’s the guys like Lind that they have to worry about too...someone out of the woodwork might have a great camp before the expansion draft and force us to protect him too.   Losing an average vet is fine.  We just don’t want to lose a promising young player like CLB did with Karlsson, or Theodore in ANA...man they both got burned big time, bet they wish a re-do.

edit: OJ needs protection too doesn’t he?

Edited by IBatch

11 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Each team can only protect one goalie as per expansion draft rules. That means there will be 30 backup goalies exposed to Seattle.

I am glad someone gets how this works.   EVERY time someone talks about expansion draft, it seems they think every single Canuck exposed will end up in Seattle.    EVERY team will lose at most one player...ONE player.

• Cheers 1