The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Goaltending Situation Going Forward

Rate this topic

ButterBean

41 minutes ago, IBatch said:

It’s the guys like Lind that they have to worry about too...someone out of the woodwork might have a great camp before the expansion draft and force us to protect him too.   Losing an average vet is fine.  We just don’t want to lose a promising young player like CLB did with Karlsson, or Theodore in ANA...man they both got burned big time, bet they wish a re-do.

edit: OJ needs protection too doesn’t he?

If Lind /Jadjovich (or anyone else) are playing well enough to replace Gaud, JT, Russel or Beagle, they would get protection and the players they are replacing (who may already be traded within the next 2 seasons) would be traded or left unprotected.  I don't have +++ faith in Gadj making the jump at that point, but I guess Lind migh have a shot.  I don't see any of the prospects that would be ED eligible by that time ever becoming a Karlsson or Theodore though.

Not sure about Juolevi, but if he does and he is playing like we think he can; he'd be protected for sure. If Tryamkin plays in 20/21 season he would be eligible for the ED.

It's hard to speculate as the ED is 2 seasons away and there will likely be some changes by then.  The Canucks look to be setting themselves up to make sure they don't lose a player that is important to the future of the team.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Doesn’t anyone remember Lack?  His stats were even better then Markstroms, and what did we get for him?   Goalies are the easiest position to fill league wide, heck look what that guy did in the playoffs at 35 that we discarded Mckenlly or however you spell his name.  

Trading Markstrom won’t get us much of a return, we might be better off keeping him and using him a expansion bait.   Who would you rather lose a Lind type prospect (2nd rounder who by then could be on the cusp of the NHL) and get maybe a 2nd rounder for Markstrom in a trade AND lose his veteran sheltering of Demko, OR lose Markstrom in the expansion draft, keep him for two more years and keep Lind or equivalent...

Both ideas have merit as maybe Demko is ready in a year and like I’ve already stared its easy to find a back-up...but we’d likely also have to trade an asset to do that which also needs to be factored in.   It really comes down to Demko...

Really? Goalies are the easiest position to fill? Backup goaltenders, absolutely, but not starting goaltenders. When was the last true #1 goaltender that got traded? 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

191zzx.jpg

For Risto?  Ya, that's not even close to enough.  However, the Sabers do need forwards who can play defensively.   

A fair trade for Risto would need to include a defensive minded (young) center, so I think it starts with Gaudette, and goes up from there.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

For Risto?  Ya, that's not even close to enough.  However, the Sabers do need forwards who can play defensively.   

A fair trade for Risto would need to include a defensive minded (young) center, so I think it starts with Gaudette, and goes up from there.  

I'd like to know what other offers Botterill has gotten for Risto.  That's the only way to accurately gauge his worth.

16 hours ago, ButterBean said:

One of Jim Benning’s comments recently caught my attention when he said he expects Thatcher Demko to play 20-30 games this upcoming year. The next year after that it’s not realistic to have both of them on the roster. In my opinion we should trade Markstrom while his value is still high and roll with Demko going forward and he’s hitting his prime. I feel like the longer we wait the more Marky’s value can go down and there’s a possibility we lose him for nothing in free agency. This could be yet another case of JB’s poor “asset management”. 

Now if Marky plays lights out this season and proves that last year wasn’t some fluke, we face the decision of using Demko as trade bait. Demko could fetch us more (considering his age and draft status) and we could get a solid haul for him like a impactful dman/forward and/or picks/prospects. That would also buy some time for DiPietro waiting in the wings and taking over once he’s ready in roughly 3 year or so. 

Either way I’m pretty confident with either of these goalies being our starter. How do you guys see the situation playing out and who do you think should be our guy, Markstrom or Demko? 

You need goaltending depth. I'd be just as happy with letting them split for a couple of years.

No need to rush anyone, its easy to put yourself in a situation where you suddenly are scrambling to find one. Look what happened when we promoted Demko this year.

10 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I'd like to know what other offers Botterill has gotten for Risto.  That's the only way to accurately gauge his worth.

Risto is minute munching young D man, with offence, and bite.  He's on a really good cap dollar too.  I think the Sabers should keep him, but (any offers they look at) should be really good ones. IMO.  For the Canucks that starts with Gaudette, and goes up from there.  

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

191zzx.jpg

The Sutter part's probably worth a chuckle (though you could use some good defensive players...but you can find those for less than giving up Ristolainen).

You do however need a legit starter. Markstrom + isn't really all that funny given that. The '+' would be the question mark though. And you can probably nab a decent quality, young top 6 F straight across for him without splitting the asset instead which is what we'd be offering. That's likely the impasse as either we'd have to overpay in multiple assets or it's just unlikely to happen. 

Just now, Alflives said:

Risto is minute munching young D man, with offence, and bite.  He's on a really good cap dollar too.  I think the Sabers should keep him, but (any offers they look at) should be really good ones. IMO.  For the Canucks that starts with Gaudette, and goes up from there.  

I think there's a 50-50 chance that the Sabres keep him.  Being on a comparatively low-ish dollar contract with 3 more years on it gives Botterill a year to sit on him and barring injury not lose any trade value.

2 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I think there's a 50-50 chance that the Sabres keep him.  Being on a comparatively low-ish dollar contract with 3 more years on it gives Botterill a year to sit on him and barring injury not lose any trade value.

I really want you guys to be better than the Loser Leafs.  I think Risto help a lot in that regard.  

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

The Sutter part's probably worth a chuckle (though you could use some good defensive players...but you can find those for less than giving up Ristolainen).

You do however need a legit starter. Markstrom + isn't really all that funny given that. The '+' would be the question mark though. And you can probably nab a decent quality, young top 6 F straight across for him without splitting the asset instead which is what we'd be offering. That's likely the impasse as either we'd have to overpay in multiple assets or it's just unlikely to happen. 

The goaltender market has more available goalies than spots open right now especially with Bobrovski leading the class.  The Sabres don't really need to trade for a goalie.  They can pick one up on the free agent market.

It's not a good time to be a career average goalie looking to get paid.  Also, Markstrom played great for the second half of last season.  I'm not confident, as I'm sure NHL GM's aren't, that he won't start out slow again this season.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I really want you guys to be better than the Loser Leafs.  I think Risto help a lot in that regard.  

I'd like the Sabres to be, but unfortunately it will be at least a couple more seasons until the young guys can move up.  Even Cozens is likely to be sent back to juniors this season.

Just now, SabreFan1 said:

I'd like the Sabres to be, but unfortunately it will be at least a couple more seasons until the young guys can move up.  Even Cozens is likely to be sent back to juniors this season.

Just don't do something really stupid like trading Risto to the Leafs for W. Nylander.  

Just now, SabreFan1 said:

Maybe if you get the Bills to take up hockey and the Sabres to take up football it would fix the problem. :ph34r:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

The goaltender market has more available goalies than spots open right now especially with Bobrovski leading the class.  The Sabres don't really need to trade for a goalie.  They can pick one up on the free agent market.

It's not a good time to be a career average goalie looking to get paid.  Also, Markstrom played great for the second half of last season.  I'm not confident, as I'm sure NHL GM's aren't, that he won't start out slow again this season.

Yes, any trade would presume that the Sabres struck out on landing a better goalie than what Markstrom (plus additional assets) would provide.

It's no given that the few guys actually equal/better than him want to sign in BUF.

But by all means carry on with 2nd rate 'starters' and backups... ;)  

4 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Maybe if you get the Bills to take up hockey and the Sabres to take up football it would fix the problem. :ph34r:

The Bills are actually looking good this year.  Most have the Bills and the Jets actually challenging the Pats for the division title this year.

There is actually a running joke that the Bills' top cornerback has a goalie academy going...

• Cheers 1