The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[SIGNING] Leafs re-sign Kasperi Kapanen and Andreas Johnsson

I like these contracts, could care less how they effect the Leafs but they are decent comparables to Boeser.

With these 2 signings and the Karlsson contract, think it's more then reasonable to hope for Boeser to sign a contract in the vicinity of 6.5-7X7

Edited by Quinn_Jet

20 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I think 'realistically' they need to seriously consider trading one of their primary, core assets.

Dealing Matthews could actually accomplish a lot for the Leafs, while returning players that could keep them equally, if not make them more competitive - while solving a large part of their cap problem - and might even gain a future along with a couple much needed young, affordable roster assets.   That might be a 'bold' move - but imo they need to make a bold move right now.

Would think they could move Matthews to Arizona for OEL and a good forward, or maybe a couple of their other decent young dmen.  Maybe what they should have done last year is moved Kadri after his playoff douchery Part One for a good dman and signed Beagle.  So many options, but the way their roster is going and assets bleeding out their options are narrowing rapidly. 

As has been said, they went into "tweak and sell futures to put us over the top" mode before they'd finished building.  Now they need to take a few steps back, imo, which could even put them back into the lotto.  That's why I'd said that pick for Marleau would look pretty nice right now, giving the double pleasure of enjoying every Leafs loss just a bit more.  You cannot leapfrog or jump steps, which is why imo Benning and crew are doing it the right way, going through phases of the build to keep it advancing.

These are really good signings. Damn I'm surprised they got both for so cheap. 

Toronto has holes of course but they sure got a lot of valuable forward pieces on good contracts they can move to fill those holes while keeping their top 3. 

I'd love for the Canucks to snag one of those two players. I wonder if Tanev at 50% retained has much value to TOR?

Edited by Bobby James

27 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I don't know what their 'story' would be, but I'd like to hear it.

In any event -  the problem with their 'options' is that they overlap with (self-inflicted) horrible timing.

Nylander laid an egg - .5 ppg and 3 in 7 playoff games does not exactly make for prime-time to sell him

Likewise - Kadri just made a repeat ass-hat of himself in the playoffs -  his value isn't exactly spiking (and his role in the present makeup is debatable, particularly when they didn't really have a 4th line or shutdown center either.  Some weak team-building there combined with some character problems - make a 'good' player probably not as valued on the market as they need him to be.

Zaitsev - whether they are being real or not in Toronto - expecting a return - who knows?   But I can't imagine him having positive value in the current cap climate, particularly with the volume of comparable if not better, serviceable D in the FA market, with a lot of trade rumours -and movement taking place (players like Subban, Braun being dealt, and talks around a whole range of others).

The market for these players - their recent performances - the timing - the cap tightness - imo do not make their work easier.

I think 'realistically' they need to seriously consider trading one of their primary, core assets.

Dealing Matthews could actually accomplish a lot for the Leafs, while returning players that could keep them equally, if not make them more competitive - while solving a large part of their cap problem - and might even gain a future along with a couple much needed young, affordable roster assets.   That might be a 'bold' move - but imo they need to make a bold move right now.

Agreed.  I just can't see any situation whereby they trade Matthews.  It's probably the right thing to do but even Rogers Sportsnet could not spin that into a positive story for their beloved Toronto customers.

24 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Okay, and what exactly have they won?

They have won nothing, but it is more than that. They are adding pieces that will allow them to win in the future albeit next year or the year after. Why do you think the Patriots have been so successful? They have a franchise QB who takes pay cuts to allow others to sign there and win. They also know when to cut ties with a player and that is usually when their value is at its highest. Then what do they do? Go out and find a similar player at lesser cost. Hate them or not, you cannot deny that TO is building something there. They still need a dman, but players are buying in to Babcocks style and TO is figuring out a way to make it all work. 

• Upvote 1

To Arizona:

Austin Matthews

Nic Petan

To Toronto:

Clayton Keller (885k ELC - expires next year)

Jacob Chychrun  ($4.45 million x 5).

Brad Richardson

Arizona 1st

The Laffs gain 6ish million in cap space. 

Sign Marner - have cap left to fill the remaining RHD hole.

Dont waste more assets dumping the Zaitsev contract - move him down to adequately partner Dermott.

Don't sell low on Kadri or Nylander - with no leverage whatsoever in those deals.

Hyman Tavares Marner

Jonsson Keller Nylander

Brown Kadri Kapanen

Moore Richardson Gauthier (a 4th line that might actually provide ozone starts for the Keller line).

Reilly _____(trade that 1st/Hainsey - hands off Risto!)

Muzzin Chychrun

Dermott Zaitsev

Stanley  Cup Favorites!!! 

Maybe not, but not the trainwreck it could be.

Solved - young replacement C, young 20 minute D, affordable and expiring shutdown center, cap crunch, tradeable 1st or desperately needed future for a depleting prospect pool.

Or of course - do it the #proper-rebuild way.

Edited by oldnews

14 minutes ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

They have won nothing, but it is more than that. They are adding pieces that will allow them to win in the future albeit next year or the year after. Why do you think the Patriots have been so successful? They have a franchise QB who takes pay cuts to allow others to sign there and win. They also know when to cut ties with a player and that is usually when their value is at its highest. Then what do they do? Go out and find a similar player at lesser cost. Hate them or not, you cannot deny that TO is building something there. They still need a dman, but players are buying in to Babcocks style and TO is figuring out a way to make it all work. 

That’s a bit of a different thing. Brady runs the show in NE. You could make that comparison if you cited Tavares or Matthews taking a pay cut to “lead the team” in that aspect, both of whom did not. I have nothing against either Kapanen or Johnsson, and both are good contract signings but that comparison doesn’t really fit here imo. 

End of the day, it’s the Nylander fiasco coupled with the Tavares signing that’s now led the Leafs to shoot themselves in the foot, which a lot of people said right from the start. 

1 hour ago, Borvat said:

Teams that have a longer window and win get buy in from their stars.  I am hopeful Boeser see's that and buys in.  In my mind his contract is extremely important to set the bar for this group and determine how long this group can stay together.  Long term I give him a bit more - 8 years.  Shorter term I play hard ball.

I agree completely here, this Boeser contract is extremely important, they did real well with Bo, this is the next piece.

26 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Taking a pay cup only benefits owners. 

Financially sure.

But if your goal is to win and be on a tight knit team that has a chance to compete for a long time, then hopefully your willing to only make 45 mil over 7 years VS 55 mil over 7 years.

Only 45 Million... I mean your still going to be super rich.

I like to think I would leave some money on the table in order to play competitive hockey with a solid group of guys, compared to asking for the world and never really getting a good chance to win it all.

Brock seems like a real character guy but we will see what really motivates him sometime this summer.

2 hours ago, Kosmo Kramer said:

I agree completely here, this Boeser contract is extremely important, they did real well with Bo, this is the next piece.

Financially sure.

But if your goal is to win and be on a tight knit team that has a chance to compete for a long time, then hopefully your willing to only make 45 mil over 7 years VS 55 mil over 7 years.

I like to think I would leave some money on the table in order to play competitive hockey with a solid group of guys, compared to asking for the world and never really getting a good chance to win it all.

Brock seems like a real character guy but we will see what really motivates him sometime this summer.

It's not about the money or else players would play for $100,000.

2 hours ago, Kosmo Kramer said:

Financially sure.

Good assessment, Brock will also be young enough to get another monster contract as a UFA. 100M+ in career earnings. At my current wage my career would need to be 800+ years to make that amount. 

These contracts are insane when you begin to compare to the real world. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

Great, what pieces are they adding?  Cut ties with which peaked players that didn't simply walk away for nothing as UFA?  Found what similar players for who at what lower costs?  These are their own RFAs, and they do not need "a dman" -- have you seen their roster?

Edited by Hutton Wink

50 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

It's not about the money or else players would play for $100,000.

It is about money too for sure, they arent going to play for nothing. I just think the difference between 6.5 mil a year and 8 mil a year becomes pretty minor once your already a millionaire.

What you can only buy 3 houses instead of 4?

I understand there is pressure from the NHLPA as well for guys not to take 1 mil deals instead of close to market value as to not ruin it for everyone else, they definitely feel pressure from what I have read.

4 hours ago, oldnews said:

To Arizona:

Austin Matthews

Nic Petan

To Toronto:

Brad Richardson

Arizona 1st

Dont waste more assets dumping the Zaitsev contract - move him down to adequately partner Dermott.

Don't sell low on Kadri or Nylander - with no leverage whatsoever in those deals.

Hyman Tavares Marner

Jonsson Keller Nylander

Brown Kadri Kapanen

Moore Richardson Gauthier (a 4th line that might actually provide ozone starts for the Keller line).

Muzzin Chychrun

Dermott Zaitsev

Solved - young replacement C, young 20 minute D, affordable and expiring shutdown center, cap crunch, tradeable 1st or desperately needed future for a depleting prospect pool.

Auston Matthew is worth a lot more than that.  You can start with 3 -1st round picks and Chychrun.  Even then I can't really see this happening in anyway shape or form.

A more awesome trade for the Leafs would be

Matthews

kadri

Reilly

For 

Barkov

Ekblad

Plan the parade if that happens.  I don't think Florida does it, but maybe you can even it out.

Edited by CaptainLinden16

9 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

The Leaves are ripe for poaching a-prospects. Hutty is headed to LA. 

Tanev 50% retained for Zaitsev + Sandin + Bracco. 

Gives them just enough room to sign Marner and they get a right side upgrade. 

Are we starting a new tv series and need some midgets on the roster?  -_-

7 hours ago, oldnews said:

To Arizona:

Austin Matthews

Nic Petan

To Toronto:

Brad Richardson

Arizona 1st

Hyman Tavares Marner

Jonsson Keller Nylander

Brown Kadri Kapanen

Muzzin Chychrun

Dermott Zaitsev

Why are you giving Dumbass all of your great trade ideas?  You know he reads these forums right?  ^_^

• Thanks 1