The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Nichushkin on waivers for purpose of buyout

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

It’s plain obvious that more NA players/Scandinavians players enter the draft than Russians. So the chances of a NA bust is obviously greater than a Russian bust.

How about find me one Russian superstar that was highly touted in the draft that was picked in the top 10, and I’ll show you 10 Canadian superstars that was a top 10 pick, within 5-10 years. 

You're making yourself look like a fool in this thread.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, CanuckGAME said:

You're making yourself look like a fool in this thread.

By stating the truth? 

If we didn’t draft Podkolzin, I bet no one would be so defensive about this topic.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, shiznak said:

Nice to see you went back 15 years to find a Russian who went in the top 10 that made an impact.

Why top 10 though? Why not Russians that turn out to be studs like Sergachev, Kuztensov, Kucherov, or Panarin?

18 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Why top 10 though? Why not Russians that turn out to be studs like Sergachev, Kuztensov, Kucherov, or Panarin?

Because, I said I wasn’t keen on picking Russian early in the draft, and wasn’t a fan of the Podkolzin pick. Of course, people went into defensive mode, because we can never say anything negative about our team or have a different opinion.

Those players you mentioned, sans Sergachev, who I don’t think is that great of a player, went in the later rounders. Tarasenko was  probably the last Russian who went early in the draft that turned into a superstar (9 years ago) and even then he wasn’t considered the top Russian in his draft class. Burmistrov was.

Edited by shiznak
  • Wat 1

17 hours ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

But but he’s Malkin  2.0!!! Why did we take this Horvat guy!! Omg our GMs suck!!! 

:bigblush:

I still remember Mike Gillis getting heat from Canucks fans for passing up on that guy.  That will never get old. on hfboards.com too.  non Canuck fans seem to be happy we took a 3rd character checker over a 1st line 6'4 highly skilled big guy from Russia.    how wrong they were.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, shiznak said:

Because, I said I wasn’t keen on picking Russian early in the draft, and wasn’t a fan of the Podkolzin pick. Of course, people went into defensive mode, because we can never say anything negative about our team or have a different opinion.

Those players you mentioned, sans Sergachev, who I don’t think is that great of a player, went in the later rounders. Tarasenko was  probably the last Russian who went early in the draft that turned into a superstar (9 years ago) and even then he wasn’t considered the top Russian in his draft class. Burmistrov was.

So you don't think it might have been smart to pick Russians like Kucherov or Panarin early in the draft? I guess that seems reasonable to you, but I doubt if many sensible people would agree with you.

• Upvote 2

I was happy with the Bo Hovat pick especially after you can hear the praise from hockey analysts like Pierre Maguire praising Horvat. 

Though I wonder who was that other team that ranked him at 4th ?

Edited by iinatcc

21 hours ago, coryberg said:

Yeah just look at Washington and Pittsburgh. They have to be kicking themselves for drafting Ovechkin and Malkin ahead of those good old Canadian boys Cam Barker and Andrew Ladd!

Yeah but then there are the Kucherov's and Bure's of the world.  

22 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Are they behind him or still plaguing him?  Guess that would dictate any level of interest from us.

Well, of course his back issues are behind him. 

Ok, I'll show myself out. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, shiznak said:

By stating the truth? 

If we didn’t draft Podkolzin, I bet no one would be so defensive about this topic.

You come from the Willlie Desjardins school of thinking.  

If the Blues don’t have Tarasenko and Berbashev, they’re not the champs this year!

11 hours ago, shiznak said:

Sorry, but that is just dumb. 

12 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Speaking of Yakupov he seems to be doing well in the KHL. Maybe he will return to the NHL based on his recent success in the KHL 

Yakupov has just signed new 3-year contract with SKA St.Petersburg (where Podkolzin is going to play). Last season Yakupov played in 47 regular games with 33 (23+10) points and +22. In 18 playoff games he got 8 (4+4) points.

3 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

Yakupov has just signed new 3-year contract with SKA St.Petersburg (where Podkolzin is going to play). Last season Yakupov played in 47 regular games with 33 (23+10) points and +22. In 18 playoff games he got 8 (4+4) points.

Hopefully Podkolzin isn’t asking Yakupov for advice next season.

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

So you don't think it might have been smart to pick Russians like Kucherov or Panarin early in the draft? I guess that seems reasonable to you, but I doubt if many sensible people would agree with you.

Clearly at that time 30 GMs thought the same or else they would have went early.

It’s easy now to say I’m we were wrong, because of how well they’re doing, but history has shown more often than not that Russian tend fizzle out into nothing. 

Look, I have nothing against Russians. If NA players had the same percentage of becoming “bust” potential. The argument would be the other way around for me.