The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Canucks buy out Ryan Spooner

1 hour ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

He was actually dominating at the AHL level.   Gaudette is an NHL player now.  Although he is still developing into the player he will become.  He can develop on the wing in the NHL while Sutter holds his future 3rd line centre role.  I’m pretty sure he’s not going back to Utica.

Yes totally agree One more year for Sutter perhaps he will be one of players on expansion draft unprotected list with adequate cap to qualify with min ceiling $$$ requirements him an sadly Erickson .Erickson has taken away teams lack of flexibility with his poor top 6 minutes . His defence is sound but we needed more offense from him

51 minutes ago, oldnews said:

A lot of teams would kill to be in a position to have resolved their cap with a mere Spooner buyout.

The Canucks did so why also shouldering the crap recrap bullcrap.

They are under no pressure to move anyone else - can sign Boeser, Motte, Leivo, Goldobin.

17.6 million to do so.  Potentially 18.6 if they waive Schaller.

Take worst case scenarios

7 million for both Boeser and Myers.

4.6 remains enough to comfortably sign Motte, Leivo, and Goldy imo.

Additionally, the present cap calculation (17.6) includes players like Gaudette (916k), Sautner and Brisebois (another 1.37 million) - all of whom are waiver ineligible and likely to start the season in Utica.  So that represents another 2.25ish million which they can effectively utilize to sign another veteral LHD - or acquire one (in which case they may have a contract and cap heading out in the process).

In other words they still have a fair amount of flexibility - and that's assuming they spend to the higher range on Myers.

I think they're likely looking at the very least in the range of 3 million surplus after the Myers, Boeser, Leivo, Motte, Goldy signings, possibly more - in other words ample cap with which to go into the market rather aggressively for a 3rd pairing LHD.

If they move a Baertschi or LE - their cap flexibility becomes a relative luxury.

Do you know if Roussell can start the season on LTIR considering he was injured during last season? That would give us another 3 million wiggle room.

45 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Additionally, the present cap calculation (17.6) includes players like Gaudette (916k), Sautner and Brisebois (another 1.37 million) - all of whom are waiver ineligible and likely to start the season in Utica. 

Not to say he won't clear or that his tiny salary would matter but sautner is actually waiver eligible (has 4 pro seasons under his belt). 

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

To me, this means we're signing Myers and a top 6.

3 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

myers and boeser. if he can get more, more power to him. 

If jim has a deal worked out to dump Erriksson (after his bonus is paid of course) we could see all 3.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

To me, this means we're signing Myers and a top 6.

I sure hope so.

Myers at 5 years and 5.9 million.

I wonder what UFA forward JB will try to get to slot in with Pearson and Horvat. Possible candidates for that top 6 spot:

Lee

Nyquist

Ferland 

All are top 6 players.

I hope JB stays away from cheap bottom sixers. We have too many as it is.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, CanuckinEdm said:

Why spread his money over 2 years when you can put him in Utica and only have 1.2 against the cap.

Less than that...

$2,100,000 NHL cap hit

$1,075,000 AHL exemption 

----‐------------------

$1,025,000 actual cap hit if buried.

9 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Interview in tsn.ca 2 days ago has him  saying if they add players it will be top 4 D or top 6 forwards.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/benning-says-if-they-re-signing-anyone-it-ll-be-a-top-4-defenceman-or-top-6-forward~1716955

Edited by coryberg
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I sure hope so.

Myers at 5 years and 5.9 million.

I wonder what UFA forward JB will try to get to slot in with Pearson and Horvat. Possible candidates for that top 6 spot:

Lee

Nyquist

Ferland 

All are top 6 players.

Could be wrong, but I think we sign Nyquist on July 1st, trade Eriksson within a week. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

Lee would be amazing, but wonder how much he'll command.  Had 40 goals two years ago.  Leadership and work ethic, hockey sense, goes to the net, just Benning's style, and our top-6 would be HUGE.

That would be awesome.

Lee  Petey  Boeser

Pearson  Horvat  JT Miller

When is the last time we could say we had a HUGE top 6??  Wowza.

Unfortunately, we have not heard anything about the Canucks having any interest in Lee yet.

If they sign Myers, Lee, and one lower-cost but solid UFA dman with size, this WILL be a playoff team.  Even Nyquist will mean we will be in the hunt till the end, as we will have added two 20-goal guys plus Pearson since last year.  Combine that increase in scoring with hopefully better D, and we'll be right in there.  Kindof doubt it's Lee as well, but it's very exciting as Jimbo is looking to take this team to the next level.

• Upvote 3