The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumor) - Luke Schenn moving on?

Who needs defensemen?  Just throw out all our prospects out there.  Look how quickly Boeser & EP got used to NHL play.  Plus, Demko needs the practice.  Seeing more pucks come his way will mean he gets better sooner.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

That’s a shame, if true. Not that Schenn is anything more than a minor piece, so the loss doesn’t really impact team fortunes all that much. But he was a feel good story, was great in the room, played pretty well with Q, and looked to have found a spot to rejuvenate his career. Would have liked to have seen him stay. Seemed like a good situation, both for the team and the player.

Sadly, that wasn't sustainable beyond the short term, with Hughes probably outgrowing his ability at least by the end of this coming season. Schenn offered a lot of protection though, and I would have like to have kept that around another year. We'll see who can replace him and give Hughes room to grow.

6 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

not surprised about tampa XD they had zero toughness and got ran over. schenn would be their only policeman on that entire team. schenn on the canucks though, that toughness would rub off on the rest of the team. thats why this guy is more valuable than people want to say

Who needs toughness with two guys under 5 11 on the defense?  Though at least Stecher has about 15 extra pounds of muscle on his frame.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I would still like Vancouver to sign him just as an insurance policy. He certainly looked better than Gudbranson, for a fraction of the cost. 

12 minutes ago, Provost said:

Apparently he has a new routine and is as fit as he has ever been.

Probably looking for a little security. 2yrs, $1.25 million per kind of deal.

8 minutes ago, Lionized27 said:

If I were JB I'd have no trouble signing that deal.

I am surprised the Canucks did not sign him earlier. By all accounts he would have been happy to sign in Vancouver and he probably would have signed for even less, maybe just one year at 1 million. At worst, if things did not work out, the Canucks could put him on waivers and, if he did not get picked up, send him to Utica.  Last year he helped the team a lot and the Canucks were a better team after he joined. Both his abilities, including toughness and physical play, and his attitude helped the team. He was more valuable than expected and just seemed like a gift. But the Canucks seem so focused on landing an expensive UFA that they were apparently unwilling to devote even a small amount of cap room to him.

Anyway, I like Schenn and I wish him the best.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Who needs defensemen?  Just throw out all our prospects out there.  Look how quickly Boeser & EP got used to NHL play.  Plus, Demko needs the practice.  Seeing more pucks come his way will mean he gets better sooner.

You know, you made a real good point!! Our offense was as dry as a grandma for years and you can win games when you just outscore the opponents... just refer to the Golden State Warriors!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Who needs toughness with two guys under 5 11 on the defense?  Though at least Stecher has about 15 extra pounds of muscle on his frame.

Can he do a 7.5-pound muscle transplant over to Q.Hughes??

• Haha 1

Well this blows... 

His deal better be a 3 year deal or else I will be wondering why we didn’t sign him. Maybe it’s the fact there’s no taxes in Florida? I would’ve given him 2x2 mil without thinking twice about it. 

Thought he did a really nice job when he came over.   Give Benning credit for turning nothing into something.

I have room for him coming back as a depth D.  He looked good with Quinn and Sautner.

He makes sense for Tampa for same reason he does for us.

Benning probably wants to see how things shake out with Myers and any other UFA or trades before committing a spot, even if it is a 6-8 D spot.  There is an inherent risk of losing him but Benning is playing with house money considering what he gave up for him had negative value.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

It’s all talk to get his price up a bit right now.. I’m sure there is a fair offer from any club interested in LS..  but sometimes the savings in tax payout tilts the scale.

We are taxed too much in this country..   would really like to see a flat tax for all up here to experiment with (including corporate).

I think if it started at 15-17 % we would still have our social infrastructure, and you and I would have more money in our pocket to stimulate the economy in a big way, and be healthier for it.

• Cheers 1