The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are You Okay If The Canucks Offer Sheet Over 11 mil?

Rate this topic

ItTakesAnArmy

I just don't think Benning does this. A guy with a drafting background like him is going to bet on his ability to find good players. If we still had Mike Gillis at the helm...go right ahead and offer sheet Marner. Honestly, I bet it would have been done by now and we'd be waiting for the Leaf's answer.

Just now, Noseforthenet said:

I just don't think Benning does this. A guy with a drafting background like him is going to bet on his ability to find good players. If we still had Mike Gillis at the helm...go right ahead and offer sheet Marner. Honestly, I bet it would have been done by now and we'd be waiting for the Leaf's answer.

And the fact that good luck trying to find people to take on Sutter and Eriksson’s contracts

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

They should try to trade for Marner instead of offer sheet. 

Boeser plus for marner 

If the plus wasn’t crazy, I’d easily do that deal.  Bess + Tanev (50% retained) for Mini Mitch 

• Upvote 1

No. I wouldn't be okay with such an offer sheet as we need cap space to sign our young players later on. I think it would be mismanagement on our part in the long run and this doesn't even take into account all of the picks we would lose.

Edited by The Lock

Just now, klw604 said:

4 1sts, you gotta be out of your mind, this league is all about drafting and developing,

That's why that JT Miller sucked, all 1st rounders effect your future

Leafs had no first this year, and traded next year’s to dump Marleau.  JB feels our young core is now ready to push fir the playoffs.  He’s supporting them in their efforts by providing top end support players.  Miller is the ideal winger for Petey and Bess.  Plus, he’s on a great contract, and he’s in his prime. 

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Leafs had no first this year, and traded next year’s to dump Marleau.  JB feels our young core is now ready to push fir the playoffs.  He’s supporting them in their efforts by providing top end support players.  Miller is the ideal winger for Petey and Bess.  Plus, he’s on a great contract, and he’s in his prime. 

And guess what, who's coming up in the leafs pipeline ?

Kyle wellwood?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, klw604 said:

And guess what, who's coming up in the leafs pipeline ?

Kyle wellwood?

I agree.  The Leafs have nothing coming up to support their young core.  That’s why I’m glad JB is going to support our young guys now.  We have lots of top prospects coming up as support players (or core guys) over the next 1-4 years.  We have a window to win now, and for at least 5 more years.  Waiting too long to open the window would put us where the Leafs are right now.  That’s not good for sustained winning.  

Not really. I said two years ago already that with the cap and the way things are headed with salaries that the Canucks are in a good spot. IE, I think we are better off with a Horvat and Boeser for the same cap hit as a McDavid. Look at the Blues. Even D wise if we can get Myers and next year Barrie at reasonable hits that's a real good start to a great D if we can sprinkle in a Hughes and Tryamkin, OJ, Woo, Rathbone. I like where we are headed and it's only a matter of time where we can shed some of our excess contracts. 

• Like 1

Remember how this forum crucified Edmonton for pushing their young guns too soon, about how they didn't develop them properly?

What do you think putting the weight of the franchise on these sub 24's is doing? Almost the exact same thing as Edmonton and Buffalo.

Bo - 23, Brock - 22, Elias - 20, Hughes - 19, Jake - 22, what makes what the Canucks are doing better than what Edmonton and Buffalo is/has doing? Why would it work for the Canucks and not those teams?

Offer sheet Tkachuk for 8.5 mil 6 yrs, that is a 1,2,3 picks stuff, if the Canucks still had their first then offer sheet and Kyle Connor or Laine for 9 mil yrs that is 1,1,2,3 but he #1 could have been staggered over the 4 years. Both Calgary and Winnipeg could match but both are capped out and might let go.

I would prefer Point, Marner and especially Rantenen but TO and Colorado have tons of cap space and would match.

How to make the cap space? The minors, Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle and Schaller. Baerstchi on LTIR (concussions) Roussel on LTIR and trade Pearson with retention.

6+4.375+3+3.7+3+2= 19 mi or so. If accepted 17 to 19 mil in offer sheets leaving around 8 mil for Boeser but his should be around 6.5/7 for 5 years, all contracts without clauses.

That would put the team

Bo - 23, Brock - 22, Pettersson - 20 Jake - 22, Hughes - 19, Tkachuk - 22, Laine/Connor - 21/22

Now that would be a core in 3 years to shake the division. Cap hell could follow but the astute trading of high end assets could retool the team with high draft picks in 4/5 years and the salary cap will also be going up significantly due to the US TV contract. This is similar to the OLD Edmonton frame work, many young players of the same age.

On 7/1/2019 at 2:31 PM, Tomatoes11 said:

Well, we are going to for sure sacrifice a big part of our future by tossing the 3rd and 1st we gave up for Miller.

Myers, no but I’d rather have Gardiner. 

And even if the picks took 3-5 years, well it’s been 5 years, they would have been ready by now....which in turn would have bought time for the picks we pissed away for Miller to be ready....

but thanks to benning, the chain has been broken to hell and now we are screwed big time of Miller doesn’t didn’t pan out like the rest of his trades haven’t.

Literally nothing paned out, even his only good ones in The Hansen and Burrows trades.

Again get real.  In only fantasy land are we throwing our future away by trading a first, low odds of being a lottery pick, and a 3.  Only 7 players have made the NHL and played 200 games for the Canucks in ALL the rounds 3 and onward since 2000.  In 18 years that’s all we got and half of those guys were bums anyways.   Playing the odds we lucked out getting a player like Miller in his prime right now.   The best we could hope for with our first is a guy like him, and as most people that understand this deal have pointed out, he wouldn’t be in the lineup for at least 3 years, probably more like 5.  Huge hole upfront locked in for 4 more years and a good cap rate, and we could easily have him for those years and flip him for another first as a rental if he keeps up similar play, and I bet he’s going to have a career year next year on the top line.  Last year going up and done the lineup he would have being the 23 highest scoring LW in the league BTW... math is math and this was a super move for our team.  It says losing is no longer part of the culture and we are moving up.  EDM endless rebuild failed because of poor drafting (virtually nothing after the first round) and poor trades (Hall)..they never knew when to add strengths where there was weaknesses.   

THEN Benning goes on and plugs a HUGE hole we have on the right side for ANOTHER good cap hit.   But all his signings suck right?   He’s getting better.

Do you like the Myers signing?  Or is this another BAD move.  Cost us no picks, no bodies nothing but cap space we’d use anyways.  Out goes Schenn/Guddy for Pearson and Myers...wow can’t see how that’s a loss.   Poo-poo and Hutton too, in comes Benn and Hughes.  Pretty big transformation, Stetcher as a third pairing guy makes me giddy, that’s where he should be and he’s actually pretty darn good. 

Given how he’s managed the rest of the teams cap structure I don’t expect Boeser is going to be overpaid either.  Hope he locks him in for 7 x 8 buying some UFA time and keeping him here for a decade.  

See the problem with your endless dribble about the past is your not seeing the improvements right under your nose and you never give credit where its due, instead you take things and flip it and find the negatives and try and make that the dialogue.  Of course this works and your statements are often partially correct.  Things are not that black and white.

Id expect if we do miss the playoffs that Benning has a good chance of getting fired and you will get your wish.  And then a few mistakes in you will start a new dialogue about how that GMs a bum and go from there.  Hope your not viewing life the same way as that must be a hard path.  Why don’t we at least wait and see how things go first.

We have a much different lineup then last year.   One more year under the belt for the emerging core...plus two very decent - good vets playing key roles that before were played by chumps.   I imagine if EP could make Goldy look good that Miller is going to look very good and given he can do the heavy lifting for the line he might not tire out this time.  I remember two months in how EP was near the top of the leader board in PPG.   We have that for a full year and he would win the Hart.  

9 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

The only fact here is that you are a mouth breather.

You still never even addressed my original point. You said players in Edmonton party hard because there is allegedly nothing to do in Edmonton and that's why they want to play in big cities. Do you really think that there is so much more to do in a bigger city that the players won't party just as hard? I should probably just give up since you started quoting facts but I'm bored so humour me mouth breathing monkey.

First of all I said Hall and Eberle was partying in Edmonton, 

Second of all,  they wanna live in a beautiful city, with good weather, 

Just slow down and take a deep breathe, 

Compare weather in Vancouver vs Edmonton for example ....

Would you rather choose Edmonton's climate over Vancouver's 

On 7/1/2019 at 8:53 AM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Repeat after me.

Offer sheets don't work, because the target's team match. 

It will work if a team is like 7 million dollars left in the cap to sign and I can offer sheet him 8 million and force them to make a trade or force them to not match and get picks back.   The problem is that the teams doesn't want to lose their picks is the reason why they don't offer sheet that often.