The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Jordie Benn signs with Canucks

3 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

Canucks are in the mix to land everyone but Panarin

I mean we are in the up swing of things a great looking future and have the ability to add pieces why wouldn’t players be attracted to Vancouver right now?? Guarantee there is other talks with players we don’t even know about as well, the miller thing came out of nowhere 

• Wat 1

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Sportsnet has turned him into one of their sports tabloid journalists.

Its not about having sources or credibility anymore, it’s about getting views and creating controversy.

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

He does have good contacts with agents, which is how he tends to get accurate information regarding players and contracts.  The problem is he's transposed that into prognosticating based on that information, speculating on what he thinks it means or predicting what it will result in.

Yes, he has carved himself a career doing sports. However, I do believe he has become the TMZ of the sports world, instead of what he used to be like.

The fact that Dhaliwal said that Edler was leaving already shows how much he's changed as a reporter.

• Wat 1

36 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Rick Dhaliwal loves attention. This guy really has no clue what’s going on...

22 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Even just a few months ago I considered him one of the most legit sources out there, but he's gone way off the rails this offseason. 

If you guys are talking about Rick saying Edler was headed to free agency and then not it’s because he was headed there until the next day Edler decided to agree not to have a no move clause beyond 2 years, and who broke that news? Rick Dhawliwal did.  Also not every player the Canucks have interest in come through, teams have to agree on a trade.  His reporting has been bang on and we’re lucky to have someone breaking this Canuck news, I enjoy hearing which players the Canucks look into.  He breaks the most news and has the most sources in our market.  He can annoy me on the radio so I’m not a huge fan of him personally but Give credit where credit is due. 

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Just scanning his entire feed now. I think what's soured his rep with some people has been the amount of speculation and rumor he's diving into. That, coupled with the Edler thing. That said, it could be that every rumor he's cited has had credibility to it, and the Canucks just never pulled the trigger on any of them. We'll never know either way. I'm still following him on Twitter and still trust him more than almost anyone else. 

Perhaps it's the fact that the Canucks are far more active than they usually are that's causing some of the confusion. When there's smoke coming from so many different sources, it's hard to nail down where the fire actually is. 

This plus I believe the success he had coupled with the desire to be known as an "insider" rather than just a reliable source lead him down this road. Twitter hits, radio appearances, his "Cherry" schtick on 650 am. He has sort of been sucked into the vortex of "click bait" and "first out of the gate"

Edited by Borvat

15 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Just scanning his entire feed now. I think what's soured his rep with some people has been the amount of speculation and rumor he's diving into. That, coupled with the Edler thing. That said, it could be that every rumor he's cited has had credibility to it, and the Canucks just never pulled the trigger on any of them. We'll never know either way. I'm still following him on Twitter and still trust him more than almost anyone else. 

Perhaps it's the fact that the Canucks are far more active than they usually are that's causing some of the confusion. When there's smoke coming from so many different sources, it's hard to nail down where the fire actually is. 

If so, and the organization is doing it intentionally, that's fantastic.

Light everything on fire, the Vancouver media can burn down with it.

In a market like this, it's too difficult to get the "No Leaks Lou" Lamourellio approach, so leak EVERYTHING and drive the credibility of everybody down so that the real moves are obfuscated behind the cloud of crap.

Or it could just be a coincidence.

• Cheers 3