The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Jordie Benn signs with Canucks

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'd prefer to use the money we're likely going to spend on Benn to try and bolser the top 6, but that's just me.

Not getting a top 6 for the money Benn is getting.

only way we’re doing that now is if we ship out Sutter or Eriksson and make a trade for someone,

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

only way we’re doing that now is if we ship out Sutter or Eriksson and make a trade for someone,

No, but what we're going to pay Benn will likely be about half of what it would take to land a top 6. Could shift some salary around to make up the rest. As it stands right now, Bo still isn't going to have much to work with going into next season. 

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

No, but what we're going to pay Benn will likely be about half of what it would take to land a top 6. Could shift some salary around to make up the rest. As it stands right now, Bo still isn't going to have much to work with going into next season. 

Well unfortunately we have holes on D too. Unless you’re happy paying Hutton 4+ million a signing like this is necessary 

Just now, DeNiro said:

Well unfortunately we have holes on D too. Unless you’re happy paying Hutton 4+ million a signing like this is necessary 

I'd rather work with what we have in the system. Juolevi, Sautner, Teves, Brisebois. Or just hold off and make a signing from the secondary market down the line. I can't imagine Schenn is looking for a huge contract either. We'll see, but it's hard for me to believe that he'll be demanding what Benn will. 

Point is that there are always options for depth players. Top 6 though? Not much left once the market dries up, which will in all likelihood be in about 24 hours.

3 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

D was a WAY bigger priority, especially after the Miller trade. Our D desperately needed a change up and an increase in pushback and defensive play with Hughes and Juolevi coming to help on the offense side.

We're already going to have:

Miller, Pettersson, Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Baer/Virtanen/Goldobin/Leivo... Yeah that 2RW spot is a bit of a question mark but that's already a pretty sizeable improvement over last year.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'd rather work with what we have in the system. Juolevi, Sautner, Teves, Brisebois. Or just hold off and make a signing from the secondary market down the line. I can't imagine Schenn is looking for a huge contract either. We'll see, but it's hard for me to believe that he'll be demanding what Benn will. 

Point is that there are always options for depth players. Top 6 though? Not much left once the market dries up, which will in all likelihood be in about 24 hours.

Top 6 is gonna cost anywhere from 6-8 million. We don’t have that until we move Eriksson or Sutter.

In the meantime Benning has gotta do something about the D which is the biggest weakness right now. There’s no one in the pipeline that’s ready.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Top 6 is gonna cost anywhere from 6-8 million. We don’t have that until we move Eriksson or Sutter.

In the meantime Benning has gotta do something about the D which is the biggest weakness right now. There’s no one in the pipeline that’s ready.

Signing Tyler Myers to a contract that will likely fall into the dollar range you're citing seems like a pretty significant shakeup, as well as adding Hughes to the mix, who seems pretty ready to me. 

I'm not comfortable going into the season with glorified 3rd liners playing on Bo's wing yet again. He deserves to have someone playing with him that actually knows what to do with the puck. 

Also, I have my doubts that Benn is going to be as cheap as most people in this thread suspect. I can see 3 mill/4 years. 

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot

Just now, aGENT said:

Baer is a legit 2nd liner if he can stay healthy (albeit not a natural rw), Virtanen still has the capacity to develop in to one as well (as does Goldobin technically). 

Never mind that most teams top 6 don't usually consist of 6 legit top 6 players. I'm not particularly concerned.

I wish I shared your confidence, but I just haven't seen enough from Jake to think he belongs in a top 6, and Baer's concussion issues are....troubling.

But we shall see.

8 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I wish I shared your confidence, but I just haven't seen enough from Jake to think he belongs in a top 6, and Baer's concussion issues are....troubling.

But we shall see.

We don't need to nor should anyone be expecting presidents cups either.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Also a lot easier to fill the last top 6 spot internally with Jake/Baer.  I like Breezer, Sautner, et all. but they're not ready to be gifted spots and the defense needs someone with some more size and physicality.  Benn's a perfect fit with this group.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

No, but GMJB pretty much needs to make the playoffs this year. If he doesn't, I can't see him being extended.

Nope. I think the organization progressing is more important.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 3