The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Jordie Benn signs with Canucks

1 minute ago, RRypien37 said:

I'd rather pay a little more than the likes of Benn or Petrovic and go for McQuaid who will most likely make low 3's. 

OR Engelland who will prob get 1.5-2. Both VERY skilled fighters. 

If it was a 7/8 guy (who Petrovic is better than) I'd much rather grab Prout 

We’d win all the “moral victories”!

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

We’d win all the “moral victories”!

Well I wasn't the one who started the fighting argument. I corrected the poster because he seemed to be under the impression Petrovic was "mean". Unfortunately he is not. Nothing worse than seeing your fellow teammate get his ass handed to him on the ice while you sit there on the bench deflated. 

Edited by RRypien37
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RRypien37 said:

Well I wasn't the one who started the fighting argument. I corrected the poster because he seemed to be under the impression Petrovic could fight. Unfortunately he can't. Nothing worse than seeing your fellow teammate get his ass handed to him on the ice while you sit there on the bench deflated. 

Facts. He can’t fight.

Edited by J-23

3 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

I'd rather pay a little more than the likes of Benn or Petrovic and go for McQuaid who will most likely make low 3's. 

OR Engelland who will prob get 1.5-2. Both VERY skilled fighters. 

If it was a 7/8 guy (who Petrovic is better than) I'd much rather grab Prout 

Engelland imo is likely to wind up back in Vegas now that they moved the Miller cap, while he remained unsigned.  They need him, I'll be surprised if they fail to sign him, but who knows.  Good target - but not for his face-punching - that is secondary.

Prout is tough enough, so is Schenn, but you don't sign your depth defensemen simply based on their fight card and record.

You're unlikely to get a Benn  (that's what this news presumes, - that he's already signed) and a McQuaid imo - what they're allegedly looking for at this point is a depth ie 7/8, so saying I'd spend 3 million on McQuaid isn't really releevent.  I doubt they're out shopping for a 3 million 7/8.  In other words the options are far more limited - you're looking at Schenn (who reportedly intends to move on to where he may have a top 6 opportunity, and few other 1 million and under options.

14 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

Is Adam McQuaid available?

If it's true that they're signing Benn, I doubt they'll be looking to spend that kind of money.

I think you can pretty much rule out a whole range of other guys as well as McQuaid - Stralman, Hainsey, Kronwall, probably Girardi, maybe even Chiarot = all likely to expensive as a 3rd signging.   Gunnarsson is gone, I imagine Engelland will also be.   Bortuzzo would be a nice addition but he has term.

I think the options at this point are more in the 7/8 range.

13 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Well I wasn't the one who started the fighting argument. I corrected the poster because he seemed to be under the impression Petrovic was "mean". Unfortunately he is not. Nothing 

You did start the fighting sidetrack - and you corrected no one -  your assumption was, that by mean, a player must win fights against Evander Kane or whomever  you cherry pick.

You spun off on an obsession with the less and less frequent NHL fight card.

Petrovic is mean - he hits and with frequency - he's not an easy guy to play against.   Is he as heavy or tough as anyone I cherry pick - no - but apparently you think you're getting a heavyweight at the 7/8 spot - I'm more concerned with whether the guy can skate.

I wasn't happy to see Gudbranson move on - but I'm also not expecting some 800k depth signing to replace him.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Nathan Beaulieu is rumoured to be the depth signing.

Rumoured by?

I'd take Beaulieu at 7/8  and less than a million.   I don't know if he's as tough as Dalton Prout, but he can skate, he's reasonably physical, has a good toolbox.

If we're feasting on Winnipeg FAs, I'd take him over Morrow.

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Rumoured by?

I'd take Beaulieu at 7/8  and less than a million.   I don't know if he's as tough as Dalton Prout, but he can skate, he's reasonably physical, has a good toolbox.

If we're feasting on Winnipeg FAs, I'd take him over Morrow.

Rick Dhaliwal on Twitter

• Thanks 1

Benn at a decent cap hit and term (hint, hint JB) is a solid option on the bottom pairing or as a 7 guy.

He has some grit, is defensively responsible,  and can play both sides effectively. He is also a solid penalty killer so can help Tanev reduce his overall minutes.

• Cheers 3

Benn is solid prob gonna be a bit pricey but is likely worthwhile either way.

his biggest asset is his versatility in playing left or right sides which would give us flexibility in case of injuries or if Juolevi looks good and we get a good deal for tanev or something.

on signing a depth defence, I’m a meh for that. I think we have enough alright guys in the AHL that can hold their head above water as a bottom pairing player. 

I think Benn would be a great fit for us. We would get a hometown discount. Victoria is close. Plus this is the team he grew up watching. I bet he would be super stoked to play for us and he will be gritty as all hell. I think he could easily become a 5/6 staple. Give him a chance JB.

Edited by Xur
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Xur said:

I think Benn would be a great fit for us. We would get a hometown discount. Victoria is close. Plus this is the team he grew up watching. I bet he would be super stoked to play for us and he will be gritty as all hell. I think he could easily become a 5/6 staple. Give him a chance JB.

Maybe he talks his bro into coming as well.