The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Oscar Fantenberg

18 minutes ago, jovocop55 said:

Bust, thinking of tkachuk lol

Could be argued that way, but I have a different view. Juolevi might become a bust, but I do not see that from his development to date. Year after being drafted he played in the OHL and for Finland (internationally). The year following he was with TPS (a pretty good team) and once again played for Finland. In 2018 - 19 he went to the AHL and got into only 18 games due to injury. 

regards,  G.

Edited by Gollumpus
  • Like 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Dombrova22 said:

Errr... how long do you want the kid to develop for? It's been 3 years since he's been drafted. Sure he got hurt, but really... 

Not a huge fan of rushing defensemen. Coming off an injury and playing a 3/4 or full season with Utica will help him and I heard rumours that he struggled defensively at times. Don’t get me wrong , the spot is there for him to take if he earns it but I can’t see the coaching staff rolling with 2 rookies full-time this year. Of course if one of Edler or Hughes ends up getting injured, i’d love to see him in there. Not trusting Benn, Fantanburg, Sautner, Brisebois, etc. in that top 4. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Just found out Schenn got 1-year, $700k deal with Tampa... and we couldn't beat that and picked up Fatenburg instead??  What gives??

Jordie can play both sides and we needed more help on the left side anyways. We got Myers, Tanev, Stetcher, and Biega on the right side which may have swayed Schenn’s decision on playing time/oppurtunity. Also replaced Schenn’s size/hitting with Myers. Just my guess.

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The player gets to choose where they want to go you know right?

I liked Schenn, but I think Fantenburg is a better, more skilled, more versatile player than Schenn.

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Just found out Schenn got 1-year, $700k deal with Tampa... and we couldn't beat that and picked up Fatenburg instead??  What gives??

Tax free Stanley Cup contender where he likely falls at #4 right D.

Here he'd be likey #5 RD, less likelihood to get in the lineup, not on a contender and pay more taxes for the privilege.

Edited by aGENT

19 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

I also know our team didn't try hard enough to find good bargains... 

well do please tell us all

the details of all the discussions the canucks have been having

behind the scenes

because frankly, the rest of us are not privy to them

what did the canucks do?

what didn't they do?

i'm waiting for details

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, combover said:

Shows Canucks don’t have a lot of faith in any of the farm hand young d. ( oj included) 

Reminds me of pat weirdcoat  signing. Pointless. 

Myers we need I get that but these kind of signings Ben included are just another schaller gagme brumistrov mdz ect ect ect.....

Saunter OJ and the others could cover what these two offer. 

I think it means they want OJ starting in Utica given he hasn’t played in almost a year. He needs to get his legs under him and be ready. He’ll be up by mid to late season when the injuries hit. Better for him to get top pairing time down there vs 6/7 here. We’re not grooming him to be a bottom pair dman. Same reason Gaudette will start in Utica on the top line. Mid season, JB makes some moves and voila, up they come, ready to contribute and we have more picks in our pocket. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Fantenburg is much better than Schenn.

He played 3rd pairing on Calgary in the playoffs last year. Schenn wouldn't be close to cracking that lineup.

• Like 1