The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Lightning sign Luke Schenn

16 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Maybe he really didn't want to be here, but its hard to believe that. He played well, fans loved him. He played the way we had hoped Gudbranson would have, at a fraction of the price. I hope JB offered him at least a million.  And he STILL chose Tampa Bay @ $700,000. That would be the only excuse for the Canucks not to have him resigned.  Does anyone honestly think Fantenberg as a depth D is worth $150,000 more than Schenn, and what he brings in size?  Brother Jim give your head a shake.

On 7/2/2019 at 10:54 AM, aGENT said:

Playing as #3 or #4 on the right D depth chart, on a contender, in sunny FLA and paying no income taxes or.... Sitting as #5 right D in beautiful but rainy, higher taxes and cost of living Vancouver who's certainly looking up but just coming out of a rebuild...?

Higher on the depth chart = more likely to play. 

This has nothing to do with whether Benning wanted to re-sign him.

14 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Maybe he really didn't want to be here, but its hard to believe that. He played well, fans loved him. He played the way we had hoped Gudbranson would have, at a fraction of the price. I hope JB offered him at least a million.  And he STILL chose Tampa Bay @ $700,000. That would be the only excuse for the Canucks not to have him resigned.  Does anyone honestly think Fantenberg as a depth D is worth $150,000 more than Schenn, and what he brings in size?  Brother Jim give your head a shake.

Maybe Tampa is offering ice time too since they need cheap depth. We would be offering him a #7 spot if he replaces Fantenberg. Why would we offer a million for a #7 guy? 700k goes further I'm Tampa than here and he's on a contender, which maybe he feels like he should try and go for a Cup after seeing his brother win one.

Honestly this is nothing worth losing sleep over and certainly not head shaking worthy. Schenn was AHL fodder only months ago.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kilgore said:

Because Schenn chose lower taxes, nicer weather, more ice time, a stronger team and a realistic chance of a Stanley Cup ring, Benning needs to give his head a shake?

Are you sure you didn't take a wrong turn? Sounds like you were looking for HF Boards, where posters enjoy talking and hearing that nonsense.

• Haha 2
  • Wat 1

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Higher on the depth chart = more likely to play. 

This has nothing to do with whether Benning wanted to re-sign him.

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Maybe Tampa is offering ice time too since they need cheap depth. We would be offering him a #7 spot if he replaces Fantenberg. Why would we offer a million for a #7 guy? 700k goes further I'm Tampa than here and he's on a contender, which maybe he feels like he should try and go for a Cup after seeing his brother win one.

Honestly this is nothing worth losing sleep over and certainly not head shaking worthy. Schenn was AHL fodder only months ago.

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

Because Schenn chose lower taxes, nicer weather, more ice time, a stronger team and a realistic chance of a Stanley Cup ring, Benning needs to give his head a shake?

Are you sure you didn't take a wrong turn? Sounds like you were looking for HF Boards, where posters enjoy talking and hearing that nonsense.

Wait.... I'm confused. Tampa, a Cup contending team, thinks he can play a bigger role than the Canucks do on our team? 

Can't have it both ways. 

Either Tampa's GM is really stupid, or JB needs a good head shake.

IMO from the eye test I saw, he'd fit in as a 5 or 6 D on the Canucks. At least before we got Benn. (Could have used the cap space) Moving up or down depending on the opposition. He's a presence we sorely lack on this team.  

We have a team full of reluctant fighters. He looked like he actually enjoyed the role. Not as a literal fighter per say, but as a mean aggressor on the ice. When's the last time we had that, in that weight category? And he can move the puck well.

Maybe no amount would have kept him here, I just hope JB tried is all.

8 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Wait.... I'm confused. Tampa, a Cup contending team, thinks he can play a bigger role than the Canucks do on our team? 

Can't have it both ways. 

IMO from the eye test I saw, he'd fit in as a 5 or 6 D on the Canucks. At least before we got Benn. (Could have used the cap space) Moving up or down depending on the opposition. He's a presence we sorely lack on this team.  

We have a team full of reluctant fighters. He looked like he actually enjoyed the role. Not as a literal fighter per say, but as a mean aggressor on the ice. When's the last time we had that, in that weight category? And he can move the puck well.

Jordan Benn >>>> Luke Schenn

• Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Can't have it both ways. 

Tampa is in more of a cap crunch than me are, they needed cheap depth who they can offer a spot to while their top guys take on most of the minutes. We got Benn and Myers who are both significant upgrades in comparison to Schenn and would take up spots in the top 6. It's arguable if Fantenberg is better than Schenn or not, but Fantenberg is at best a #7 right now, so he would be guaranteed a playing spot. Fantenberg is paid more, but as mentioned, 700k is more money in the pocket in Tampa.

I'm certain that Benning tried. It's probably much like how Montreal offered Benn the same contract, but he simply chose us over them.

• Upvote 1

Can't have it both ways. 

Tampa has a FAR better top 4 than we do that can play 48+/- minutes a night. It's also FAR more expensive. They need a cheap bottom pair that only needs to play 12+/- minutes.

We on the other hand have an inferior top 4 but require a more balanced top 6 and hence actually have a better 3rd pair than Tampa likely will that will likely be required to play closer to 15-18 minutes.

As counter as it may seem, Schenn wouldn't make our 3rd pair.

• Upvote 1

Can't have it both ways. 

?

Tampa lost both Stralman, and Girardi.

Schenn is still likely their 4 in the present.

Sergachev, Cernak, Ruuta, Schenn - but that competition, to beat Ruuta for a spot, as opposed to Stecher (and Biega) - is probably a better bet for Schenn, than the latter.

Has little to do with contending team last year, Tampa being 'stupid', etc.

Btw, Gudbranson - that was the last time the Canucks had that in that weight category - right before Schenn got here.

Unfortunately they don't really have that now - but Schenn wasn' t really an option imo, other than as a 6RHD here, which is what he'd be in the present.  No wonder he moved on.

• Upvote 1