The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What is your 2019-2020 projected lineup for the Canucks?

Rate this topic

Roberts

Ferland-Pettersson-Boeser ( Self explanatory, Ferland can play with skilled players and is there to protect! Not to mention drive the net and win board battles for these two)

Pearson-Horvat-Miller ( Big boy second line. Really like Pearsons game since he came to VAN! They can crash and bang and all skate. Will be a tough line to play against)

Baertschi-Sutter-Leivo ( Sven can score but set up these to shooters all day. All can play D, while chipping in offensively which the Canucks want from their 3rd line )

Motte-Beagle-Virtanen (Crash and bang line.IMO Virt doesn't have the IQ to play up the lineup. Looks lost. But two fast wingers and a solid defensive line that can chip in on O)

Extras Goldy/Eriksson

Edler-Myers (Goes back to Kelowna days, our 2 best d-men so they should play the most and together)

Hughes-Tanev (Hughes will be a treat to watch, could struggle on D at points. Tanev there to show him the ropes and be a solid presence)

Benn-Stecher ( Solid 3rd pair that will give it there all and not hurt you by any means)

Fantenberg

Marky 

Demko

• Thanks 1

On 9/21/2019 at 1:16 AM, Canadian said:

Barring any pre-season injuries:

Ferland-Pettersson-Boeser

Baertschi-Horvat-Miller

Pearson-Sutter-Virtanen

Motte-Beagle-Leivo

Extra: Eriksson/Goldobin

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

Benn-Stecher

Fantenberg

Markstrom

Demko

Waived/Traded:

Schaller

Biega — could be first call-up, or in AHL while players like Rafferty get looks when defense injuries occur

This looks great. Top six player gets injured slot in Goldy, bottom 6 Loui 

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 3:28 PM, EdgarM said:

Ferlund -Petterson -Miller

Pearson - Bo- Boes

LE/Baert/Goldy - Sutter - Virt

Leivo -Beagle - Motte

Edler Myers

Hughes Tanev

Benn Stech

Marky

Demko

Pearson - Bo- Boes

Leivo - Sutter - Virt(Gaudette)

LE -Beagle - Motte

Edler Myers

Hughes Tanev

Benn Stech

Marky

Demko

Schaller,Baertchi,Goldy are on the bubble.

It appears TG is favoring the bigger, hard working, fore checker as opposed to the smaller skilled players that are not core players.

LE does not fit this criteria but his defensive skills will keep him in the line up. Virt is questionable because of his consistency.

Gaudette is showing more and more that he is closer to being NHL ready.

8 hours ago, Outsiders said:

Ferland-Pettersson-Boeser ( Self explanatory, Ferland can play with skilled players and is there to protect! Not to mention drive the net and win board battles for these two)

Pearson-Horvat-Miller ( Big boy second line. Really like Pearsons game since he came to VAN! They can crash and bang and all skate. Will be a tough line to play against)

Baertschi-Sutter-Leivo ( Sven can score but set up these to shooters all day. All can play D, while chipping in offensively which the Canucks want from their 3rd line )

Motte-Beagle-Virtanen (Crash and bang line.IMO Virt doesn't have the IQ to play up the lineup. Looks lost. But two fast wingers and a solid defensive line that can chip in on O)

Extras Goldy/Eriksson

Edler-Myers (Goes back to Kelowna days, our 2 best d-men so they should play the most and together)

Hughes-Tanev (Hughes will be a treat to watch, could struggle on D at points. Tanev there to show him the ropes and be a solid presence)

Benn-Stecher ( Solid 3rd pair that will give it there all and not hurt you by any means)

Fantenberg

Marky 

Demko

this looks very close to me, barring any trades of course.

I do think a line with Sutter and Gaudette can work as well. I don't see them as mutually exclusive options for the 3rd line, there's no reason they couldn't share the C duties depending on the situation. 

Ferland Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Leivo

Baertschi Miller Virtanen

Sutter Beagle Eriksson  

i would say this this gives us 3 solid scoring lines, and a good shutdown line.

Gaudette gets called up if any of the top 3 centres get injured and centres the 3rd line. Miller gets moved up if either of the top 2 Centres get injured. If Beagle gets injured Sutter replaces him. Can’t wait until Roussel gets better. Motte and Goldobin are extras. 

Edited by Tyster

Team “I’m going to bust my butt and give it my all each and every night.

Travis Green and this management group obviously have some very tough decisions ahead of them over these next few days.    There’s obviously a number of different ways that they can go, based on a multitude of various reasons, etc.

However - I propose the following:    The Canucks should Ice a linemate that is consistent with the culture and values that they’ve been trying to create for years.  Period.  

“What is this culture?” you may ask?    This culture is about

1) work ethic

2) conducting yourself professionally both on an off the ice 

3) giving it your all 100% of the time.

If there are two players (Player A and Player B), and Player A is slightly better than Player B but displays less heart and commitment to battling each and every night, then Player B will get the nod.  Period.   This is the culture that Benning, Weisbrod, Green, and the Aqua’s have tried to create here.   

Based on the above, here is the line-up that I propose:   

Ferland-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Miller

Baertschi-Gaudette-Sutter (or Leivo)

Motte-Beagle-Leivo (or Sutter)

Virtanen

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

Benn-Stecher

Fantenberg

Markstrom

Demko

To the minors

-Goldobin

-Schaller

-Eriksson

Why Jake Virtanen?

The obvious question that you might be thinking is, “why have I included Jake Virtanen in my Line-up when he doesn’t fit the culture of “giving it your all?”    The reasons are as follows:   Virtanen is still young and he has a lot of talent.    You can’t ignore that.   Trading him or getting rid of him when his value is relatively low would be foolish.   However - Virtanen needs to know that a serious message has been sent to him, and that he needs to step up:   Hence - starting him as the 13th forward.    Virtanen needs to know that he needs to step up and earn the right to play every night......and that if he doesn’t, Roussel will be replacing Virtanen when Roussel comes back.    The message to Virtanen will be that he’ll need to show great work ethic and hustle when he’s in the line-up......to the point where he matches Tyler Motte’s work ethic and hustle.  . If Virtanen can’t beat out Motte and someone like Leivo, then JV will be gone when Roussel returns.

On 9/22/2019 at 8:03 AM, EdgarM said:

Pearson - Bo- Boes

Leivo - Sutter - Virt(Gaudette)

LE -Beagle - Motte

Edler Myers

Hughes Tanev

Benn Stech

Marky

Demko

Schaller,Baertchi,Goldy are on the bubble.

It appears TG is favoring the bigger, hard working, fore checker as opposed to the smaller skilled players that are not core players.

LE does not fit this criteria but his defensive skills will keep him in the line up. Virt is questionable because of his consistency.

Gaudette is showing more and more that he is closer to being NHL ready.

I guess my line up is looking pretty accurate. No Goldy and No Baert. Our depth is starting to weed out fairly good players which is a good thing. We have added toughness and more scoring depth, can't wait for this season to start.::D

• Cheers 1

A line up like this could look good in a couple months

Pearson Horvat Miller 

Leivo Gaudette Sutter 

Roussel Beagle Virtanen 

Motte Eriksson 

Edler Stetcher

Hughes Tanev 

Benn Myers 

Fantenberg 

Markstrom 
Demko

Edited by kenhodgejr

i think it makes a difference if they are going for 3 scoring lines and 1 checking line or 2 and 2? if they are going with one checking line, i see motte, beagle and sutter there.  i like roussel on the 3rd line with gaudette and either leivo, or virtanen, that would leave louie and schaller as the extra forwards or waved when roussel comes back.  

i do like stech with edler and myers with benn. 

if they are going 2 and 2, then sutter on the 3rd line makes sense. roussel/sutter and one of gaudette, virtanen or leivo. the 4th would stay beagle, motte and schaller or louie.

6 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

A line up like this could look good in a couple months

Pearson Horvat Miller 

Leivo Gaudette Sutter 

Roussel Beagle Virtanen 

Motte Eriksson 

Edler Stetcher

Hughes Tanev 

Benn Myers 

Fantenberg 

Markstrom 
Demko

3 hours ago, smithers joe said:

i think it makes a difference if they are going for 3 scoring lines and 1 checking line or 2 and 2? if they are going with one checking line, i see motte, beagle and sutter there.  i like roussel on the 3rd line with gaudette and either leivo, or virtanen, that would leave louie and schaller as the extra forwards or waved when roussel comes back.  

i do like stech with edler and myers with benn. 

if they are going 2 and 2, then sutter on the 3rd line makes sense. roussel/sutter and one of gaudette, virtanen or leivo. the 4th would stay beagle, motte and schaller or louie.

Stech is not crafty or big enough to play against "top lines". Hughes will make the top pairing before Stech does. Stech has a lot of competition on his heals so he needs to step up offensive output or he will be following Biega's footsteps.