The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[POLL] How did management do at UFA?

Rate this topic

koregen

How did management do at UFA?  

328 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Share your love or hate for this years UFA.

I think last year many of us were a little disappointed with the UFA signings. It wasn't completely bad because we did acquire Antoine Roussel, who I have become a huge fan of. We did not want to enter the season with the same defense as we had in the previous year, but it's basically what ended up happening. To sum it up, we did not sign or acquire via trade a top 6 forward or a top 4 defense man.

This year management has succeeded in filling those holes, we got a top 4 d man and a top 6 forward. Our back end will only have 3 returning regulars, next season we will have 3 new faces. I'm obviously focusing on the acquisition of Tyler Myers and Jamie Benn with this poll but if you add Quinn Hughes, that is one serious makeover for our back end. 

For me it has been one of the more exciting off seasons because I'm seeing our team trending upward and in the right direction.

Edited by koregen
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, koregen said:

Uh, it is only July 1st.   Come back in August and see as lots of FAs still out there.   Further, your poll is really odd.   Between Average and Excellent there is "Good" or "Above Average".    Picking up two top 6 Dmen at pretty close market value (lots had Meyers pegged as $50 million and Canucks got him at 60% of that without protection requirements...Meyers must have wanted to be in Vancouver) is certainly as good as could be expected when that was your stated goal.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, fecklund said:

It's barely been 3 hours.....

3 minutes ago, fecklund said:

It's barely been 3 hours.....

All of the big names are signed, it happens kind of quick...

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Bobrovsky at $10 million

Panarin at over $11 million

Duchene at over $8 million 

Hayes at over $7 million

Benning just signed 4 defensemen for under $10.5 million on the first day of free agency...whether they are depth, top 4 or utica that's pretty incredible

yeah totally agree if they would have traded tanev and/or Loui Eriksson then Vancouver would have the cap to sign another top 6 forward but alas not possible with there current situation and there is not a lot of value for Eriksson.

• Upvote 2

Myers is a good and fair value. Good signing fills a need and at a decent hit. 

I don’t think the other two dmen do anything to help up, I don’t like those signing kinda just more same of the love affair with bottom tier players. I would rather see saunter and a couple of the other farm hands cycle through there and others get those  positions. 

Reminds me a lot of Patrick wiercoat and the many  others that were similar signings. 

Moving tanev would be a wise move now. 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 3

7 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Uh, it is only July 1st.   Come back in August and see as lots of FAs still out there.   Further, your poll is really odd.   Between Average and Excellent there is "Good" or "Above Average".    Picking up two top 6 Dmen at pretty close market value (lots had Meyers pegged as $50 million and Canucks got him at 60% of that without protection requirements...Meyers must have wanted to be in Vancouver) is certainly as good as could be expected when that was your stated goal.

You think the Canucks will sign a bunch more free agents?

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Bobrovsky at $10 million

Panarin at over $11 million

Duchene at over $8 million 

Hayes at over $7 million

Benning just signed 4 defensemen for under $10.5 million on the first day of free agency...whether they are depth, top 4 or utica that's pretty incredible

Who is the 4th defenceman?  Myers, Benn, Fantenberg, and....

I would say 

Edler 6

Myers 6

Benn 2

Fantenberg 850K

14.85 for 2 top 4 d and 1 versatile veteran 5th d and a depth d, is pretty good value. 

Just now, Westcoasting said:

You think the Canucks will sign a bunch more free agents?

Yup, there is a chance.   Lots of Utica holes and lots of FAs out there.    I could see two or even three more added.

4 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Yup, there is a chance.   Lots of Utica holes and lots of FAs out there.    I could see two or even three more added.

Be nice if they could find that top six winger they were hoping for but it sounds like the cap is an issue now.

19 minutes ago, koregen said:

We did a very good job, were not finished though we must loose Sutter and LE and add a top 6 forward(Hopefully Lee now Nyquist is gone)

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, combover said:

Myers is a good and fair value. Good signing fills a need and at a decent hit. 

I don’t think the other two dmen do anything to help up, I don’t like those signing kinda just more same of the love affair with bottom tier players. I would rather see saunter and a couple of the other farm hands cycle through there and others get those  positions. 

Reminds me a lot of Patrick wiercoat and the many  others that were similar signings. 

Moving tanev would be a wise move now. 

.....and LE & Sutter

• Upvote 1

I think Benning did well. Still question if Myers is worth 6, but that's the UFA market for you, and at least it isn't 7x7. We really couldn't expect better if Myers was the target.  Benn is a good signing and we got some depth on d too.

I first didnt like the Miller signing but I finally realized that is the price you pay for guaranteed talent who plays the style of game we need.

Overall, I give Benning a B+.

He would get an A from me if he manages to get Loui the heck out of here without giving anything up.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Westcoasting said:

Be nice if they could find that top six winger they were hoping for but it sounds like the cap is an issue now.

With Luongo retirement and that extra 3 mil cap hit, I don't think it was an option. I was really hoping for Nyquist as well. There is a reason Luongo "out of his own pocket" paid for an add in the province to thank the fans after announcing his retirement. He is trying to save face because his decision completely screwed the Canucks while helping his team.

24 minutes ago, koregen said:

Seems like you make A LOT of topics with one-line posts that don't contribute much to the discussion.

Part of me sees your avatar as the face you make when people go "omg... another koregen thread"

But to avoid going off topic. I think management did a good job. It's just that it's already been discussed in other threads.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1