The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[POLL] How did management do at UFA?

Rate this topic

koregen

How did management do at UFA?  

328 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, Alflives said:

Then we have cap space to make a trade and steal a great player like we did with Miller.  

Use that cap for a TDL bait too, where possible. 

Regardless, our 3 newest players are all players who will change the image of the franchise as being a pushover. For the first time in years, I’m not embarrassed by how pathetically soft this team is. Hopefully it goes from victim to bully! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

56 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

There was a guy named Miller they signed.   He is a top 6 (and perhaps top 3) winger.    Given they have Pearson, Boeser, Baer and Miller - that is a decent top 6 set of wingers.   The price of the top 6 guys in this FA period (term as much as $) has been insane.   Miller is on a really good deal.   Meyers just signed for what seems to be a discount (certainly not a premium) and so the CAP issue can be addressed with some other moves but it would appear only overpayments would result.   Did you have one signing in mind?

I thought Miller played goal. Fill me in I am completely unaware of any other Miller signings. ;)

Edited by Chris12345
  • Haha 1

I rated it a B on the forum poll. We addressed out biggest need which was depth on D. 

if the Myers signing means less work load and a healthier Tanev, that is a huge win for us. 

I would've like to have seen a top 6 forward signed as well but the summer is still young.

If JB does nothing else but trade away Sutter and Eriksson's contracts, he would get an A+ from me. 

• Upvote 2

I think that Benning has had a good couple of months.  Maybe his best as a GM.

1.  Revamp D

DelZotto for Schenn

Guddy for Pearson

not sign Hutton, Pouliot

sign Edler for 2 @ $6.0

Meyers for 5 @ $6.0

Benn for 2 @ $2.0

Fantenberg for 1 @ $850

2.  Bolster top 6

add Pearson

add Miller

subtract Granlund

buyout Spooner

So D is way better year over year and the forwards are better too.

Meyers may not be everybody's favorite but he is a bona fide top 4 RHD (not top pair so don't be disappointed) so he makes the back end much better.  And for me, term was the real issue signing him and cudo's to JB for keeping it to 5 years at a reasonable cap hit.

So the minuses are the right pieces.  And the pluses are good and on the right terms

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

Think I read somewhere Pete also can play wing I know shocking news. Also at the time Aho was drafted he was a LW crazy right. Its like juggling while riding a unicycle. People can do more than one thing.

The Aho offersheet was a joke, at your silly fantasy world question. Not discussing fairy land with you any more. 

Chillout take a polar dip.

Totally chilled out.....just curious where all the suggestions are versus the vague "sign a top six".   Enjoy your fairy land.    Cheers.   :)

1 hour ago, FlyLow_ said:

Aho is way better than Horvat so that's an easy decision. Him and Petey are pretty much clones, which is why he's my 2nd favourite player.

Sure, dump Horvat.   Great plan.   I am sure with his contract you will find takers.    

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Sure, dump Horvat.   Great plan.   I am sure with his contract you will find takers.    

I'm sure guys like MacKinnnon and R O'R would appreciate it when facing us. 

Had we been able to add Nyquist, it would have been a spectacular day for Benning. However, because of the money tied up in bad contracts and the Luongo recapture penalty, we weren't able to do all we were able to do to improve the club. Still, Benn and Myers signed for less than they could have had, so today is still a pretty significant win. The defense is leaps and bounds improved.

• Upvote 2

Still don't love overpaying Myers and not looking forward to watching him struggle against the speed of the Pacific Division, but at least the contract wasn't as much as projected. However going back to the Tanner Pearson move we have continued to add desperately needed size with skill through the off-season, and that must be commended. 

I would have been fine if all we did was sign a couple depth D and stay the course this off-season, but if the plan now is to go for it then there is certainly still work to do. The biggest need now is a top 6 scoring winger. We still have injury prone players in crucial spots that can't be relied on and players that hinder more than they help to get rid of like Goldy and LE. We also still don't have a big push from the prospects and guys that still need to take the next step like JV and OJ. Maybe that will change this year, but I have a hard time seeing it.

Overall the team is better than last year already, nobody can dispute that but there was a significant cost and there's still a lot of work to be done on both the big club and in Utica. I've been reading all of the forums the last few days and nobody has even mentioned what would happened if any of our young stars have a set back. That can happen, they happen all the time to good players, so adding more scoring depth is a must if the plan has changed to going for playoffs once again.

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Had we been able to add Nyquist, it would have been a spectacular day for Benning. However, because of the money tied up in bad contracts and the Luongo recapture penalty, we weren't able to do all we were able to do to improve the club. Still, Benn and Myers signed for less than they could have had, so today is still a pretty significant win. The defense is leaps and bounds improved.

makes me think there isn't any interest whatsoever in Loui. Had there been even a minor inkling of a possible deal I bet Jim goes over the cap today to move Loui later. 

Loui's Utica bound, I have no doubt about that now. 

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Yes suddenly we have depth in the top of D not just the bottom. 

This is a good sign that league perception of the Canucks is changing and that Benning is learning from past mistakes.

He stuck to his offer to Edler and got what he wanted. He got both Myers and Benn for affordable prices.

Both Meyers and Benn wanted to come here.

In the case of Jordie, he turned down the same deal to come here instead.

The last, affordable, player on my wishlist is Michael Ferland. The fact that he hasn't signed yet could mean a cheaper price tag.

Getting him would cap off my offseason.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

makes me think there isn't any interest whatsoever in Loui. Had there been even a minor inkling of a possible deal I bet Jim goes over the cap today to move Loui later. 

Loui's Utica bound, I have no doubt about that now. 

I think we will see Loui in the lineup for at least one more year. 

He is not a terrible player, just overpaid. 

9 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

Still don't love overpaying Myers and not looking forward to watching him struggle against the speed of the Pacific Division, but at least the contract wasn't as much as projected. However going back to the Tanner Pearson move we have continued to add desperately needed size with skill through the off-season, and that must be commended. 

I would have been fine if all we did was sign a couple depth D and stay the course this off-season, but if the plan now is to go for it then there is certainly still work to do. The biggest need now is a top 6 scoring winger. We still have injury prone players in crucial spots that can't be relied on and players that hinder more than they help to get rid of like Goldy and LE. We also still don't have a big push from the prospects and guys that still need to take the next step like JV and OJ. Maybe that will change this year, but I have a hard time seeing it.

Overall the team is better than last year already, nobody can dispute that but there was a significant cost and there's still a lot of work to be done on both the big club and in Utica. I've been reading all of the forums the last few days and nobody has even mentioned what would happened if any of our young stars have a set back. That can happen, they happen all the time to good players, so adding more scoring depth is a must if the plan has changed to going for playoffs once again.

You know Myers is a good skater and has pretty good lateral movement, right? 

2 minutes ago, spur1 said:

I think we will see Loui in the lineup for at least one more year. 

He is not a terrible player, just overpaid. 

I can't see it for the team chemistry, it would be too distracting.