The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[POLL] How did management do at UFA?

Rate this topic

koregen

How did management do at UFA?  

328 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, hlinkas wrister said:

Dzingel will get somewhere around twice that amount

They were talking about it on NHL Radio this morning and he said that with his low salary, he might not get more than $3mil per on the open market. Made a comment about how it is not very common for players to get more than 50% of their current salary unless they went above and beyond their previous output. That said, he has 26 G in each of the past two seasons so he seems like a legit 20+ goal guy that would be worth a long look in the top 6. Might be a good fit in COL with Kadri. At 27, he is pretty much in his prime.   

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

He's learned his lesson - no immovable contracts. The Myers one is beautifully broken down as well.

He has transformed the team into a gritty tough team to play against almost overnight. I just hope we have enough skill to score.

I agree with the first part. Disciplined contract for Myers. 

The second part I don’t get. We added grit last July 1, this year not at all. Myers biggest criticism is that he isn’t gritty, Benn is but with the loss of Schenn I would call that a push. The rest are Utica fillers. 

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Yeah...2.2m less to work with....thanks Florida...

No - thanks Lou

He could have gone the well established  LTIR route and saved both us and Florida cap room,  but instead chose to Eddard Stark it

Just now, Googlie said:

No - thanks Lou

He could have gone the well established  LTIR route and saved both us and Florida cap room,  but instead chose to Eddard Stark it

It wasn’t Loui’s choice to go on LTIR.  That’s the team’s choice.  If the Panthers refused to put Loui on LTIR Loui had no other recourse but to play - likely in the minors - or retire.  For three million over three years, I understand Loui choosing to retire.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

Why do you think we disagreed on something... all i did was say something about what Smyl said , its a holiday buddy, learn to relax!

Totally relaxed.    You and Smyl need to stop seeing each other - it seems to wind you up.   :lol:

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, FlyLow_ said:

Nobody said dump Bo, the conversation was trading him in a package for Aho which I have a hard time believing anyone wouldn't do. Aho is already a point per game player at 21.

great for Aho. So's Petey. We need Bo. 

54 minutes ago, Googlie said:

No - thanks Lou

While you may be right, I blame Florida... as they could have asked him to LTIR.

I think, he was told by the the Florida organisation NOT go the LTIR route.... and if so, why would he go against the wishes of his present/ future employer.

Either way, this stinks.... absolutely pathetic ruling by the NHL....

I can wait to see, what happens, when Weber retires....

Edited by spook007

57 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It wasn’t Loui’s choice to go on LTIR.  That’s the team’s choice.  If the Panthers refused to put Loui on LTIR Loui had no other recourse but to play - likely in the minors - or retire.  For three million over three years, I understand Loui choosing to retire.

It also impacts whether he can come back to work in another capacity for FLA. You cannot be on two separate team's payrolls at once and maintain a position with either whether on or off ice. I am sure he is going back to them in some sort of consultancy or advising role.  

• Upvote 1

I like the Myers, Benn and Fantenberg signings a lot.  In an ideal world, Myers may not be the best way to spend 6 million per year, but in our situation he's at least a bridge to a time when we can fill the need for a top 4 RD from within.  Hopefully Woo steps into the lineup in a couple of years and enters his prime by the end of Myers' contract.  And it would really help to draft more RD in the next few years.  Meanwhile, though, this is something we had to do, whether or not it works out.  Best case scenario is that Myers thrives with a new role and the right partner.  Worst case scenario:  Gudbranson.  With Benn and Hughes on board, there's a decent chance they can get better chemistry in all the parings and find the right partner and role for Myers so he plays within himself and to his strengths. 

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Yup, there is a chance.   Lots of Utica holes and lots of FAs out there.    I could see two or even three more added.

Utica is for where the prospects are to go for development and there should too many for that

21 hours ago, koregen said:

With Luongo retirement and that extra 3 mil cap hit, I don't think it was an option. I was really hoping for Nyquist as well. There is a reason Luongo "out of his own pocket" paid for an add in the province to thank the fans after announcing his retirement. He is trying to save face because his decision completely screwed the Canucks while helping his team.

Don't blame Luongo, it was the NHL that changed an existing 4 year rule and retroactively punished team for making those contracts. YOu can do 60 kmh here but then you get tickets because they changed their mind to 30 kmh, so they give you tickets for speeding the previous two months when the sign said 60 kmh.

JB definitely added the pieces we needed to improve. The defence was looking like a real problem for next year, and those 3 signings really moved us forward to having a competitive defensive core. 

I'm a huge fan of the Benn signing especially. It sounds like he is a great top 6 option that brings some toughness and stability on the back end.

Myers brings some more toughness to our game as well, and I look forward to see what he can bring to the team. Sounds like a guy that can move up and down the lineup and be a good shut down piece on D.

1 hour ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Utica is for where the prospects are to go for development and there should too many for that

That is true.   Hence the opportunity to find prospects that have not been developed fully in another organization.

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

That is true.   Hence the opportunity to find prospects that have not been developed fully in another organization.

Where do they go? The team has the 6 years worth of draft prospects and all these other ones? Who gets trained and where then? Isn't that well over 60 players that can be described as prospects? But only 4 players?

Edited by ItTakesAnArmy

18 hours ago, DS4quality said:

I'm not upset by the signings at all. I think the Myers deal is fair, and I like Jordy Benn for that price. We have 6 NHL defensemen and Fantenberg/Biega are probably not the worst 7/8 pair. He adressed some holes in Utica and has the summer to sign Boeser. I'd like one more bonified forward, or I'd like Green to keep Loui with Pearson and Bo and build his trade value, he also played well with Petey and Goldie early in the year so I still think there's some value. 

But if he can offload Loui with out giving any future picks away I'd be ok with that. I'd also like Gaudette to play first line centre in Utica and get some experience so he can develop into a solid #3 centre. 

Loui will never play for Vancouver again, no way, no how.

2 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Where do they go? The team has the 6 years worth of draft prospects and all these other ones? Who gets trained and where then? Isn't that well over 60 players that can be described as prospects? But only 4 players?

You think that every draft prospects makes it to the NHL?   Having been through the "system", I can say that it is a brutally intense and constantly evaluative process where you are assessed, re-assessed and then assessed some more on a pretty much constant basis and you are rarely given more than a season or two to show that there is a potential to rise to a projected level or you are simply not re-signed.   The majority of every team's draft picks are no longer with their drafting team three years after they are selected.   

What four players are you talking about/referring to?   The Canucks have had a number of prospects "gradudate" from Utica and will be adding a few more to the Comets this season so if you are speaking of OJ, Jasek, Lind and Gadj then those are currently four that have 'made the cut' but EP40, Virtanen, Boeser, Demko, Hughes, Gaudette and Horvat have all "graduated".   That is the key hope for prospects.    Utica will have others join the "four" this year.    As they will each and every year in the past and will again in the future.

Prospects can be drafted (any of the names above, inclusive of your "Four"), signed (as were Rafferty, Teves, Tanev, MacE, Stech, Graovac, Kielly etc.), or traded for (Goldy, Baer, Vey, Motte, etc).

Given how empty the pipeline cupboard was empty in Vancouver it has taken four or five years to get to the point where finally prospects are emerging and depth for developing is starting to come from within.   That still needs to be augmented where it can be and the FA process (e.g. the Teves and Graovac's) is important.    

9 hours ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

Awful.

People are just excited for the season rather then looking at the real picture.

i watched tyler Myers in Kelowna buffalo my second team over hundreds of times he hasn’t been the same since rookie season doesent use his size and makes tons of errors. He doesent really bring good two way play (maybe on a high scoring jets team he’ll stack up points)

hes not worrh even four million and  thats what we have a 6-7 dman I. Jordie benn (on a good team)

so Benning is paying 14 million this year of our cap to

luongo not his fault Myers benn and Fantenberg another 7-8 dman.

good god Myers is not the answer. He’s not a huge upgrade on Hutton.

we actually have lost more then we have gained Lol and Hughes is 19, is absolutely not the answer yet either dahlin just had a historic season for 18 yr olds second best ever and it didn’t help buffalo much.

we couldn’t get Colin Miller for a third rounder? Benning moves that and a first when we’re rebuilding on a decent forward but not great in J.T. Miller but can’t sign the right cheaper miller who’s better at his positioN.

all good when we miss the Playoffs benning is toast and then onto a good GM, I’m sick of benning and his overpaying of free agents it never ends with hiM, yeah he drafted Pettersen and bowser he also drafted virtanen Juolevi and a guy the first nine gms

called a s bust this year. Watch him be our yAkss

Another whiner, this crap is getting old quickly

Try being a fan of another team instead, since Vancouver is doing such a terrible job, pls spare us you BS

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

I see your math has not improved any. Hint: if you have to count over 10 take your shoes off. 

6 years drafting at seven rounds is only 42. As for only 4 players you will have to remove your thumb out of your butt and your other hand out of your pants to count that high. :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

They were talking about it on NHL Radio this morning and he said that with his low salary, he might not get more than $3mil per on the open market. Made a comment about how it is not very common for players to get more than 50% of their current salary unless they went above and beyond their previous output. That said, he has 26 G in each of the past two seasons so he seems like a legit 20+ goal guy that would be worth a long look in the top 6. Might be a good fit in COL with Kadri. At 27, he is pretty much in his prime.   

Seriously? A 27 year old player scores 26 goals and 56 points and had 23 goals the previous season, and you believe that all he would command on the open market is $3M per year because he was significantly underpaid on his last contract?

Because you think someone said it on the radio, so it must be true? Wow, I have a great deal for you on a really nice bridge. Don't let anyone know, cause they would all want it.