The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Avalanche trade Tyson Barrie, Alexander Kerfoot, 2020 6th-round pick to Maple Leafs for Nazem Kadri, Calle Rosen, 2020 3rd-round pick

Just took a quick look at CapFriendly for any decent forwards left in the UFA market that may fit our cap room and still offer good value:

Vanek (yes again please!), Maroon (love his size/grit), Lindberg (Swedish & versatile), Sheahan (still some upside?)

Any of these guys you would prefer over our RFA group below?

RFA's remaining: Goldobin, Leivo, Motte

image.thumb.png.a2967fcb90c89b3fe5717330f6e4c183.png

1 minute ago, rekker said:

I think a real good chance it happens. Tanev will be gone and a nice landing spot will have been cleared for Barrie.

Edler-Barrie

Hughes-Myers

Benn-Stecher

I could live with that. Nice balance of size and speed on each pairing. Good puck moving ability. 3 pairings that can chip in offensively. 

• Upvote 1

Avs get a 2nd line center in Kadri, and they're banking on him to get 30 goals and 60 pts again. He was pushed down the line up when Tavares joined the team. However, his act is wearing thin with player safety, and I wouldn't be surprised if he served a long suspension at some point.
Toronto get a great PMD in Barrie to play with Morgan Rielly. Since the Avs are retaining some cap, they can afford him for one year. However, I don't think they will be able to resign him when the year is up. 

Some things make sense with this trade, and some things don't. It's pretty myopic in that way. Sakic probably thinks Kadri can handle 2C duties until Jost or Newhook are ready, but he couldn't wait til the trade deadline to swing a better deal. 

15 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

Avs get a 2nd line center in Kadri, and they're banking on him to get 30 goals and 60 pts again. He was pushed down the line up when Tavares joined the team. However, his act is wearing thin with player safety, and I wouldn't be surprised if he served a long suspension at some point.
Toronto get a great PMD in Barrie to play with Morgan Rielly. Since the Avs are retaining some cap, they can afford him for one year. However, I don't think they will be able to resign him when the year is up. 

Some things make sense with this trade, and some things don't. It's pretty myopic in that way. Sakic probably thinks Kadri can handle 2C duties until Jost or Newhook are ready, but he couldn't wait til the trade deadline to swing a better deal. 

Where does Kerfoot fit in all this? He needs to be qualified and TO has no room. Does he get traded?

1 hour ago, Kragar said:

I'm curious though what good it does a cap-strapped team trading for players' rights (Ceci, Kerfoot).  They need pretty much all their remaining cap to sign Marner.  I suspect signing these two will take a minimum 4M AAV.  If they don't get signed, then do the Leafs really win either deal?

I'm no cap expert, but as I see it, unless Marner leaves a few million on the table (and I don't see why he should when Matthews didn't), I don't see any options for Dubas that doesn't involve trading Nylander.  However, they haven't cared much about D for a while now, so maybe moving Reilly or Muzzin are options they'd consider to keep their top-6 intact.

Ceci took a one year 4.5 million deal but expires as a UFA this year.

9 hours ago, mll said:

The 2 seasons before they added Tavares were his 2 x 32 goal seasons.  In 2016/17 he had zone starts of 37% and in 2017/18 zone starts of 40% compared to 52% last season.   In 2016/17 he was 2nd in the number of D-zone face-offs and in 2017/18 he took the most D-zone face-offs.

With regards to Kadri being able to replace Soderberg, it really not even that close.  Soderberg, that guy was an absolute beast and did everything they could ask of him.  He played 60% Dzone starts, lead the team in PK ice time amongst forwards.  He literally took 80% (220 out of 275) of all Av’s PK faceoffs last year.  And on top of that he still put up 20 goals, 50 points.  And 79% of his offense in the last 3 years has came while playing even strength.  While yes he will be 34 in October he’s not a player you walk away from.  He was that foundational player we hoped Sutter to be and sorry Kadri is not even close to being that player.  Kadri is an effective player, jut not a shutdown guy.

For comparisons sake, In the last 3 years Kadri has played a grand total of 4:42 on the PK and has taken a whopping 6 faceoffs.  Again that’s the SUM of 3 years not game average.  While yes he did put up two 32 goal seasons, 40% of that production came while playing on the top power play unit.  He was given low Ozone starts the two previous years but he was far the go to shutdown player.  In 2016-17, Komarov took just as many Dzone draws as well as had just as low of ozone starts. Leafs also went out and picked up Boyle to fill that role a the TD.  In 2017-18, It’s bit out of context to use Kadri’s 40% ozone starts as correlating him to a shutdown guy that year as the only 4 forwards received higher than 50% ozone starts.  Marleau Martin, Moore, Kapanen, Komarov all received under 43% ozone starts,  Heck even Nylander only got 47%.

Then after Tavares signed his role change,  Kadri got higher ozone starts and less of a role on the top PP unit (despite getting higher PP TOI) and his numbers dropped. Kadri could be an affective second line center, but if the Av’s are expecting him to be an upgrade or a close replacement for that shutdown center role they gave up in Soderberg they are in for a rude awakening.  Had they kept Soderberg this would be less of an issue, but they really don’t have anyone (today) that can fill that role. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Ceci took a one year 4.5 million deal but expires as a UFA this year.

Good to know, thanks.  Capfriendly shows the contract signing, but not reflected against their cap total, so I think my logic still stands.

3 hours ago, D-Money said:

Agreed. I don't get the people who think Colorado did poorly here. Unless they 1) are biased against Kadri as a player, or 2) think Kerfoot will be well worth what he'll be getting in arbitration (spoiler: he won't...he's essentially their forward version of Hutton - maybe they'll re-sign him for cheap, or maybe he'll clean up at arb and they'll let him walk).

Barrie is obviously the best player, but it's 1 year of him at a reasonable rate, then either pay through the nose for a 29 year-old, or let him walk for nothing.

I wouldn't have liked it if Benning traded the 1st from the Miller trade for one year of Barrie. And, even if you don't like him, Kadri is at least = Miller.

I really liked the route the Av’s were going.  I just don’t really like the direction they have taken this years as much.  I feel like they had there glimpse of success while getting on a hot streak and got under the belief they are a lot closer than they really are, a few tweaks away.  This is very similar to what the oilers did their first off season after making the post season.  They shipped out players of need and replaced them with areas they thought would make them stronger in the post season, not realizing the players they moved were huge key’s to their success.   

Moving Barrie was the right move and using him to fill a 2nd line center was what they needed to do. I just don’t know if Kadri is that player I would have went after and I for sure wouldn’t have moved out a 42 point player in Kerfoot in the process.  Av’s need more scoring and they need to spread it out. 

Even if you look at the players in verse out have they really added that much?

Kadri 43 points, Soderberg 49 points

Donskoi 37 points, Kerfoot 42 points

Makar  ? points, Barrie 59 points

So really the Burakovsky’s 25 point season is all they added.  They are really banking on Jost, Makar, Compher, Girad having break out years to pick up the needed offence.  They are also banking on Grubauer to be able to handle the number 1 role after loosing Varlamov who played he majority of the games last season.  They better hope that MacKinnon and Rantanen can at least match their previous season totals.  Av’s were a bubble playoff team last year and were two wins away from missing, while they have some real promise I think they are banking on too much on best case scenario. 

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, oldnews said:

The Avalanche are going to be damn good regardless, but it's a move I would never even have considered - you have to  think there are better forwards out there that could be taken in a Barrie deal than Nazem Kadri.

We will likely never be privy to the discussions that took place, so it could well be that Kadri has been a golden boy in Sakic's eyes and an offer appeared on Dubas' desk that he simply couldn't so no to.  Or maybe Dubas is just that hard a negotiator that he put Sakic through the wringer.  Somehow the first seems more likely, but either way it's part of the overall rescue plan the Leafs definitely need.  Maybe they flip Kerfoot if he comes at $4mil but their bottom-6 are all sub-$800K castoffs, unproven prospects, or retreads and really needs help. 

Time fixes cap issues and this should allow them to tread water this year but that in no way makes them a better team than the one that's been bounced in three straight first round appearances.  And if an offer sheet comes down on Marner, picks could well be coming their way and unless Dubas parlays some into real players their playoff aspirations will be seriously teetering.

15 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

This is so unfair...  the Leafs did whatever they wanted to get cap space...  trading Marleau, Kadri, Zaitsev.... boom! Just like that!!

And for us, we are still scratching our heads as to how our team will look next season still being stuck with overpaid under-performers like Sutter and Eriksson... pretty damn funny to see on TSN today that we have the richest 4th line in Eriksson - Beagle - Sutter. 

Only an idiot would say that is our 4th line.  TSN boneheads at it once again I guess.

Sutter is the 3C or traded if JB/TG think Gaudette can take over (probably should go to Utica for a stint). We are 2 days into July. I think there is still a bit of time for JB to make a couple of moves.  ::D

7 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Yeah, the way I see it is that even if Barrie is a rental, the Leafs get him for much of the season plus get to move him at the TDL, plus being able to move him to a contender at 50% off, instead of Colorado being able to do the same thing.  For that, they paid the difference between Kadri and Kerfoot, and a 3rd vs a 6th?  That difference is nothing compared to what Barrie will pull at the TDL.  Avs could just as easily have retained at the TDL themselves instead of now, and had Barrie in the lineup until then.

Toronto isn't going to trade Barrie at the deadline if they see themselves as a contender imo.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Just took a quick look at CapFriendly for any decent forwards left in the UFA market that may fit our cap room and still offer good value:

Vanek (yes again please!), Maroon (love his size/grit), Lindberg (Swedish & versatile), Sheahan (still some upside?)

Any of these guys you would prefer over our RFA group below?

RFA's remaining: Goldobin, Leivo, Motte

image.thumb.png.a2967fcb90c89b3fe5717330f6e4c183.png

No thanks to more bottom 6 players. We have enough.

As JB had stated, he wanted top 6 forwards and top 4 D.  None of those names fit in our top 6 and none would be better than baertschi - who is probably our lowest level top 6 guy.

14 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Toronto isn't going to trade Barrie at the deadline if they see themselves as a contender imo.

Okay, so Barrie won't be traded.

:unsure:

But maybe just maybe, they can clue in and parlay him into what they really need (shutdown D, bottom-6 matchup C) and actually improve the team.

5 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

But maybe just maybe, they can clue in and parlay him into what they really need (shutdown D, bottom-6 matchup C) and actually improve the team.

I think they see themselves as Cup contenders this year which is why I do not think they consider trading barrie, whether that is a smart decision or not.

If they end up having a really crap year and end up missing the playoffs they would get a bit of a haul for barrie as you say. But with the talent they have I think they are a pretty sure bet to get into the playoffs. 

11 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

No thanks to more bottom 6 players. We have enough.

As JB had stated, he wanted top 6 forwards and top 4 D.  None of those names fit in our top 6 and none would be better than baertschi - who is probably our lowest level top 6 guy.

Yes and No.....

For instance, maybe it's better to have Maroon over Leivo? Baertschi and Tanev should be traded for a legit top line winger!!

9 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Hello McFly.  Spezza.  :shock:

2 hours ago, Kragar said:

Good to know, thanks.  Capfriendly shows the contract signing, but not reflected against their cap total, so I think my logic still stands.

yeah I agree with your reasoning - still a cap crunch.

If anything, I don't think that's a very good deal for the Laffs.  1 yr at 4.5 and he's expiring - no cap gain relative to Zaitsev - and puts them in a potential loss situation if he turns out alright for them and they can't afford to re-up him again  - or he upticks out of their range - or elects to move on elsewhere.  They get the cap space back, but essentially get nothing but a rental for Zaitsev and  Brown.

Edited by oldnews
  • Upvote 1