The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Avalanche trade Tyson Barrie, Alexander Kerfoot, 2020 6th-round pick to Maple Leafs for Nazem Kadri, Calle Rosen, 2020 3rd-round pick

3 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Can see Barrie re-signing with Toronto absolutely, but not for $8M per unless he has a fantastic 2019/2020.  

If they can't pay Jake Gardiner what makes you think they have the cap for Barrie?

• Like 1

Just now, Maddogy said:

If they can't pay Jake Gardiner what makes you think they have the cap for Barrie?

Right now they dont but depends on what they can do during the season to make room next year I guess. Barrie is also >> Gardiner in my opinion at least. 

1 hour ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Can see Barrie re-signing with Toronto absolutely, but not for $8M per unless he has a fantastic 2019/2020.  

Muzzin.  Barrie.  And two others will need contracts

Plus Market.

Never gonna happen

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

Ya I'm not really sure what Dubas is thinking here. The only D they have signed beyond this season is Reilly. I will assume they are holding on tightly to Liljegren and Sandin.

They're pretty much all in for this year because that team will not be able to afford all of those players the year after. I can't say it's the greatest team to put together but I guess anything's possible.

6 minutes ago, The Lock said:

They're pretty much all in for this year because that team will not be able to afford all of those players the year after. I can't say it's the greatest team to put together but I guess anything's possible.

The Raptors model.

8 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

So once Marner is signed, after their top-8 forwards (if including Hyman) the bottom 4 will be chosen from among:

image.png.fd0df290a272027e286b734707154508.png

Perhaps they will promote someone from the AHL, but a guy like Bracco isn't going to work in the bottom-6.

This is exactly the mentality that the Leafs' management group wants to challenge: that you can't win with just skill.

Problem is their own coach doesn't believe it either. 

• Upvote 1

I get that it’s easy to hate on the leafs and preach a lot of doom and gloom but people seem to be overlooking the fact that they just acquired a 60 point right shot defense (with retained cap) and a 40 point center for a player that fails to play in the post season.  

Last season they took the cup runner up to 7 games without Kadri in the line up. This year they added Kerfoot and a huge upgrade on Gardiner with Barrie. Ceci over Zaitsev is an upgrade. 

As for what happens next season. Nylander is likely moved which frees up 7 million is cap space. Muzzin has Ceci likely aren’t getting raises unless Ceci breaks out and the rest of there core is set. So that leafs potential cap space to resign Barrie if they choose. All though I think they will happily go after tanev at a much cheaper cap hit. 

Andersen is UFA in two years Reilly needs a new contract in 3. So it makes sense that the leafs go big in order to get themselves over the hump. Is it really that much different than what JB is doing? Supporting his core with the best chance to win.