The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Trade Sutter & sign Marcus Johansson

Trade Sutter with 20% retention to any team for a 4th or 5th rd round pic. (the key is cap space)

Then Sign Marcus Johansson.  Trading Sutter frees up the cap space needed to sign Johansson at about 3 years X 4.5 million.

Some teams may have missed out on their guys at center ice and want to pick up Sutter with 20% retention.  

The Canucks add a player who has more offense than Sutter for a top 6 role and much like JT Miller is versatile enough to play 3rd line center (if Gaudette proves not to be ready) in which case Baer can stay in the top 6.

The Canucks would be tight for cap but will be ok as they can send some currently rostered players on cap friendly to Utica. 

Edited by brian42

12 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Trading Sutter is easier said than done. At his cap hit, and with his injury issues, I don't know how moveable he is right now. I kinda feel that if it could have been done, Benning would have already done it to make room for Nyquist.

I agree but it's possible if a team missed out on a free agent or wanted a 3rd line/ checking Center with some retention for a very small price that it could be done.  Another option would be shaller and a 4 for a 7 or something like that to a team like Ottawa. 

Edited by brian42

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

San Jose is down a few bodies? 

They could easily sign somebody like Sutter in free agency. Marcus Kruger is one name off the top of my head. Much cheaper.

Sutter straight across for Turris. Nashville saves slightly more than $1.5 million of cap space for the next 2 years and then Sutter's contract comes off the books. They will also get a solid depth center playing behind Johansen and Duchene. Canucks will take a flyer on Turris and see if we put him up on a line with Petey/Bo and see if he can rejuvenate his offence from his Ottawa days. Turris is $6 million cap hit for another 5 years. Predators clearly doesn't want to hold on to him for any longer. If Canucks make this move, they will have find a way to dump Eriksson's contract, which is even harder to do so.

31 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

Sutter straight across for Turris. Nashville saves slightly more than $1.5 million of cap space for the next 2 years and then Sutter's contract comes off the books. They will also get a solid depth center playing behind Johansen and Duchene. Canucks will take a flyer on Turris and see if we put him up on a line with Petey/Bo and see if he can rejuvenate his offence from his Ottawa days. Turris is $6 million cap hit for another 5 years. Predators clearly doesn't want to hold on to him for any longer. If Canucks make this move, they will have find a way to dump Eriksson's contract, which is even harder to do so.

I’d rather have Sutter, only because his  contract expires sooner.  Turris would handcuff us both with the longer term and the higher salary.  If Turris was had only 2 years left I’d do it.