The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Blue jackets Should offer sheet Marner

I wouldn’t be surprised if TO ha waiting for some dumb team to offer sheet Marner at 11.5-12.   Then they can say sorry no cap space, grab the picks and run, snickering all the way.  Especially if it’s a team like CLB that is back into rebuild phase as those picks could be great ones.   That’s a lot of picks.  Could keep them in cheap ELCs for years.  And they can then spend the money on their defense. 

I doubt we see another offer sheet this year. GMs are too scared to give up 4 first round picks, and anything short of that will get matched. It's not worth creating bad blood with the other GMs unless you get the player at a fair return/deal.

The Aho deal was an exception, because GMs are more than happy to stick it to that team. The owner is openly challenging their (and all their management/coaching colleagues') compensation structure. They will do whatever they can to make sure it doesn't succeed long-term.

17 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I would so love that, seeing that drama unfold and watching the TSN panel squirm

CBJ should offer Marner $12, the Leafs would be in tough to match that. It would be like watching cockroaches scramble :)

Leafs accept the 4 1st rounders and use them to fill holes in their roster. Using the cap saved to keep their d core together long term. Easy win for them.

2 hours ago, D-Money said:

I doubt we see another offer sheet this year. GMs are too scared to give up 4 first round picks, and anything short of that will get matched. It's not worth creating bad blood with the other GMs unless you get the player at a fair return/deal.

The Aho deal was an exception, because GMs are more than happy to stick it to that team. The owner is openly challenging their (and all their management/coaching colleagues') compensation structure. They will do whatever they can to make sure it doesn't succeed long-term.

but the pick package in the Aho deal wasn't too outrageous. didn't the Habs come in only like a couple bucks shy of the next level? total dick move.. hit them where it hurts I guess

13 minutes ago, Glug Datt said:

but the pick package in the Aho deal wasn't too outrageous. didn't the Habs come in only like a couple bucks shy of the next level? total dick move.. hit them where it hurts I guess

I think that was the point. Stick it to Tom Dundon.

Dundon is challenging the management/coaching salary structure. He refuses to pay more than a set figure for each position, even when it is a fraction of what the normal salary is. And the result this year was overwhelmingly positive (though obviously some of it was due to the moves/drafting of management before he came in). With all the success they just had though, they are not giving raises, they are slashing jobs/costs even more for next year. Owners are watching, and considering if they can get away with cutting overhead too.

So if you're one of the guys who are a current GM, or even AGM, or even other scouting/management positions, what would you be thinking about this? I'd be thinking, "Screw that guy", and would do anything I could to mess it up so that his plans do not succeed. I don't think the Habs truly thought they'd get Aho with this deal, but they really messed with Dundon's plan and financial structure, which was probably the main goal all along, and 29 GMs probably stood up and cheered Bergevin for it.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Leafs accept the 4 1st rounders and use them to fill holes in their roster. Using the cap saved to keep their d core together long term. Easy win for them.

Say it's not the blue jackets but the islanders.

Islanders have depth all over and cap room.

The picks would be late first rounders and Marner and Braz and Lee would be a beast of a line....