The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What are the hidden costs of running a NHL team?

Rate this topic

Doesntmakesense

I am a marketing student going for my MBA and we were given an assignment to break down the balance sheet of the Vancouver Canucks (as an estimate).

So far I have the following research and numbers confirmed:

Home Games : 41 (average ticket price $125) (average attendance 17,125) 

Home Game Revenue Expected: 41 x 17,125 x $125= $87,765,625

TV/Radio Revenue (Canucks Share): $11,000,000

Canucks Merchandise Sales: $9,000,000

Arena Food/Drinks team share: $14,000,000

Team Promotions/Extra Revenue: $7,000,000

Total Revenue: $128, 765, 625 

Now for the expenses:

Team Payroll: $81, 500,000

Arena Maintenance: 

Arena Workers Salaries:

Flights:

Hotels:

Food:

Medical/Insurance:

Team Office Salaries:

Canucks Marketing Materials/Ads:

Cost of Food/Cost of Goods:

I am very confused how owners find extra income to pay millions to their coaches, like Bab in Toronto. It was much better for the owners to pay $1 mill or less for coaches, there is no reason why coaches salaries are going up. The coaches salary is a direct hit on the owners wallet, it is dumb to accept $6 million throwing away for a coach when you are getting nothing back for it.

And this is just the start of the expense of a hockey team, what about the first class air travel, premium hotels etc? Can this be reduced to regular air travel, reduction on hotels, food vouchers etc?

I plan to be a hockey team owner my self one day, at 35 though I am struggling to understand how to afford all of the expenses above without significantly cutting costs along the way as a potential future owner.

Thoughts are welcomed. 

Aren't player salaries paid in USD?  Since your ticket revenue is $125 avg (in CAD I assume) you need to convert the salaries to CAD as well.  That chops into your other expenses even more than you had originally anticipated.

I don't think most people invest in sports teams to make a profit.  I'd be willing to bet it's more about the prestige of owning your own team, the contacts you make and how it affects your other business ventures.  

• Upvote 2

Two thoughts:

1. It looks like you're estimating an income statement instead of a balance sheet. 

2. I'd guess that there's a substantial amount of income from promotions with Rogers and other big corporations. Recall that the Canucks named their entire arena after Rogers and how much Rogers must be paying them for that. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, The Sedge said:

Aren't player salaries paid in USD?  Since your ticket revenue is $125 avg (in CAD I assume) you need to convert the salaries to CAD as well.  That chops into your other expenses even more than you had originally anticipated.

I don't think most people invest in sports teams to make a profit.  I'd be willing to bet it's more about the prestige of owning your own team, the contacts you make and how it affects your other business ventures.  

Good points. I also wouldn't be surprised if the Canucks have invested in forward or future contracts to mitigate the effects of exchange rates. They might also have non-cash things like amortization hitting their books and lowering their taxes. In the end, things like paying staff boil more down to cash flow than income, since the cold hard cash is what has to hit the bank accounts of employees.

Playoff revenue - be sure to subtract 35% for league revenue sharing

Impact of overall league revenue sharing

Property tax

Business tax

Training camp/ development camp expenses

Exhibition game expenses revenue

Farm team impact

Suggest you familiarize yourself with pages 389 - 398 of the CBA that covers:

HOCKEY RELATED REVENUES REPORTING PACKAGE 20XX-XX LEAGUE YEAR

Just now, Tre Mac said:

Don't forget that fat cheque the Canucks write to the sunbelt teams every year lol.

I found it ironic (but fun still the same) the Leafs gave the Canes a first round pick so the Canes could use the Leaf’s equalization money to buy out Marleau.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Two thoughts:

1. It looks like you're estimating an income statement instead of a balance sheet. 

2. I'd guess that there's a substantial amount of income from promotions with Rogers and other big corporations. Recall that the Canucks named their entire arena after Rogers and how much Rogers must be paying them for that. 

Well put.

Not to get technical but the value is on the balance sheet. The income statement is bad. Canadian revenue against US expenses in an unpredictable business.

You want to own the rink and the land around it aka condos and concerts just like the Canucks. Other than the fan aspect, I would assume that's why the they own them.

2 hours ago, Doesntmakesense said:

I am a marketing student going for my MBA and we were given an assignment to break down the balance sheet of the Vancouver Canucks (as an estimate).

So far I have the following research and numbers confirmed:

Home Games : 41 (average ticket price $125) (average attendance 17,125) 

Home Game Revenue Expected: 41 x 17,125 x $125= $87,765,625

TV/Radio Revenue (Canucks Share): $11,000,000

Canucks Merchandise Sales: $9,000,000

Arena Food/Drinks team share: $14,000,000

Team Promotions/Extra Revenue: $7,000,000

Total Revenue: $128, 765, 625 

Now for the expenses:

Team Payroll: $81, 500,000

Arena Maintenance: 

Arena Workers Salaries:

Flights:

Hotels:

Food:

Medical/Insurance:

Team Office Salaries:

Canucks Marketing Materials/Ads:

Cost of Food/Cost of Goods:

I am very confused how owners find extra income to pay millions to their coaches, like Bab in Toronto. It was much better for the owners to pay $1 mill or less for coaches, there is no reason why coaches salaries are going up. The coaches salary is a direct hit on the owners wallet, it is dumb to accept $6 million throwing away for a coach when you are getting nothing back for it.

And this is just the start of the expense of a hockey team, what about the first class air travel, premium hotels etc? Can this be reduced to regular air travel, reduction on hotels, food vouchers etc?

I plan to be a hockey team owner my self one day, at 35 though I am struggling to understand how to afford all of the expenses above without significantly cutting costs along the way as a potential future owner.

Thoughts are welcomed. 

LOL total revenue $128 mill more like $250mill plus

Profits between $10-15 mill this is probably low 10%-15% non playoffs playoffs $20-$50mill plus, full cup run probably closer to $100mill.

And then there is all the other events.

Canucks memberships

Licenses

Trademarks

The list would go on and on for revenues either direct or indirect.

• Cheers 1