The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Tanev trade idea #10,000 - VAN-WPG

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

So Winnipeg managed to lose 2/3 guys of their right side d. They don't have a legit 2nd pairing. 

Is this finally the trade opportunity that many have been waiting for?

Morrissey-Tanev e.g., would be a nice pairing for them. 

They've been rumoured to want to move on from Ehlers as well - could we get this done:

Ehlers for Tanev, Virtanen and another prospect to balance out the deal?

Jake would fit their size and speed game nicely too. 

Or is there a different deal you'd prefer? 

nice idea jimmy

not sure how the nucks really could retain on tanev to do the trade

they are verging on salary cap squeeze themselves and ehler's contract has to be accommodated

but i like the concept.. and agree a bit of an add will still be required

ehlers is a talent

put him on a line with bo and pearson and i cannot see how he can be a passenger

he'll play to their level or will feel uncomfortable

i see him as still having some upside and needing consistency in his game

but man that sure would round up the top 6

and ehlers is cost controlled for a longish term reasonable deal

and no trade restrictions on that contract

he can always be moved if a prospect surpasses him in the top 6

i think he will retain value

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

nice idea jimmy

they are verging on salary cap squeeze themselves and ehler's contract has to be accommodated

ehlers is a talent

put him on a line with bo and pearson and i cannot see how he can be a passenger

Ehlers gets paid more than Bo.  I think Ehlers would compliment Bo, but he is overpaid.  

3 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

nice idea jimmy

ehlers is a talent

for the Ehlers deal we wouldn't retain on Tanev's contract - his 4.45 and Jakes 1.25 get us nearly all the way to Ehlers salary. Bury Schaller and we're OK cap wise. 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Ehlers gets paid more than Bo.  I think Ehlers would compliment Bo, but he is overpaid.  

um?

so we are only allowed to target players paid less then bo ?

we should ignore contracts signed since bo signed and ignore where the market is going ?

ehlers may be a bit of an overpayment

but if he is more consistent . .his contract will have great value in a couple of years

bo was overpaid when he signed as well

but now he is viewed as a very friendly contract

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

um?

so we are only allowed to target players paid less then bo ?

we should ignore contracts signed since bo signed and ignore where the market is going ?

ehlers may be a bit of an overpayment

but if he is more consistent . .his contract will have great value in a couple of years

bo was overpaid when he signed as well

but now he is viewed as a very friendly contract

Players who a clearly not as good as Bo, who signed contracts to more money than Bo at the same time shouldn’t be traded for.

i think Ehlers would be a good winger for Bo, but Ehlers is overpaid.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Players who a clearly not as good as Bo, who signed contracts to more money than Bo at the same time shouldn’t be traded for.

i think Ehlers would be a good winger for Bo, but Ehlers is overpaid.

guess what

you are going to like almost any contract signed by any nhl player who is a solid prospect in the future

prepare to be disappointed

brock is going to get quite a bit more then bo.. and i'm not sure he is worth the difference

ehlers was a better prospect when he signed and had shown better production then bo

bo has continued to progress since he signed

ehlers did not and may have had a slight regression

his contract was considered good value when signed

bo was believed to have been signed for slightly too much

time has altered our views of these contracts

3 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

guess what

you are going to like almost any contract signed by any nhl player who is a solid prospect in the future

prepare to be disappointed

brock is going to get quite a bit more then bo.. and i'm not sure he is worth the difference

ehlers was a better prospect when he signed and had shown better production then bo

bo has continued to progress since he signed

ehlers did not and may have had a slight regression

his contract was considered good value when signed

bo was believed to have been signed for slightly too much

time has altered our views of these contracts

Ehlers is overpaid.  We don’t want that contract.  If he was worth the dollars he’s paid, the Jets wouldn’t be shopping him. 

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

I was thinking that Ehlers would be an ideal play making winger for Bo and Pearson.  I think Tanev (with salary retained) plus JV is very fair. 

I like it

dipietro+ Virtanen + Tanev (nothing retained) for ehlers, then we need another d man not necessarily r shot d man because hughes and Benn can play the right. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I think that is only true by speculators and not the Canucks.   Nothing on my radar shows Jake being used as bait by the Canucks.   I think Green was sincere when he said the best Jake will be the 24 plus Jake and he has a plan for the kid that showed some great strides last season.   This year with the likes of Pearson and Miller in the line up all year and Benn, Edler and Myers on the back end should free up Jake to be more of what he can be without feeling he is the obligatory big bodied guy.    I remain bullish on Jake to be a playoff horse in the NHL - and hoping that is with the Canucks (OR if they do trade him, to the Cats or Canes please).

Agree with this so much.  I think Jake will grow even more this year. Especially now that we have a few more D men (Hughes/Myers) who should be able to hit him with a pass at speed... $&!# even Benn can make a pretty decent first pass. He is made for the playoffs and this year showed to me that Ehlers just doesn't have it. 

Edited by Gnarcore
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Canucks Curse said:

I like it

dipietro+ Virtanen + Tanev (nothing retained) for ehlers, then we need another d man not necessarily r shot d man because hughes and Benn can play the right. 

I keep swinging like a cheap saloon gate on Ehlers.  I think his playmaking skills would be great with Bo.  Then I think about his contract (6 x 6).  I like not retaining on Tanev though.  Would Tanev waive his limited NTC to go to the Peg?

Ehlers value is at an all time low, and he had a better playoffs the year before (though still not great) then he did last year. He's a legit top 6 forward and his contract isn't all that bad. Best of all, he only has a limited no-trade clause and it doesn't even kick in until 2022, so if still no shows during the playoffs, it shouldn't be that difficult to move him and recoup our losses.

Besides, I think Bo would keep him honest. 

8 hours ago, sonoman said:

Really hoping J.T. Miller can mentor Jake into becoming the player we all hoped for

Well lets hope that doesn't involve mentoring Jake into becoming a non-factor in the playoffs.

• Wat 1

22 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Well lets hope that doesn't involve mentoring Jake into becoming a non-factor in the playoffs.

Same playoff point total as Stamkos and Kucherov this year.  Knocked out in round one. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, sonoman said:

Same playoff point total as Stamkos and Kucherov this year.  Knocked out in round one. 

3 goals in 61 playoff games says hi :sadno:

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I keep swinging like a cheap saloon gate on Ehlers.  I think his playmaking skills would be great with Bo.  Then I think about his contract (6 x 6).  I like not retaining on Tanev though.  Would Tanev waive his limited NTC to go to the Peg?

Here is the thing Alf

Ehlers is talented, but not only is he a light weight and not really made for the playoffs, but we end up trading size as well...……..me no likey!

IMHO, it is better we take out Virtanen and see if we can get a 2020 1st for Tanev 50% + DiPietro, it is not that I do not like DiPietro, but rather he is of high value, and we have Demko already here. It makes him somewhat expendable.

Now,  DiPietro's value should be high ( 64th OA in the 2017 draft) should be at least a very high 2nd today, that coupled with Tanev at 50% should get us a very nice 1st, which will be ready 1 year after the Seattle expansion draft. Which is key, IMHO

So, if we are going to move Tanev, let's move him early, as we could probably sign a descent RHD short term replacement. IMO any "young" assets should be coming on board after the draft, as anyone's we can not protect, will be expansion folly if it is high end

I honestly feel our future really starts in 2 years, and having a strong list of solid ELC's, will keep us there. I think as much as it is about talent, it is about budget as well.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

PS...………..I would not mind Josh Brooks (Montreal) +

Montreal says no thank you.  Montreal is set at RHD (Weber and Petry) They aren’t moving a top prospect for an injury prone RHD one year away from UFA.  Let alone adding to  him 

they need a legit top 4 LHD. Something Vancouver can’t offer