The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Tanev possibly being shopped

I was just cruising through Sportsnet’s FA page and when it came to Ben Hutton, the put this little blurb from Twitter, talking about Tanev possibly being traded because of how long Hutton’s been in the market..? No idea whole this individual is but thought I’d share. 

First post

5845988A-7D31-43D1-9B6A-51DC33EC0CDA.png

Tanev is such a dependable defensive D-man and with a reasonable $4M cap hit... I'm sure there's trade interest around the league. We can get him for a couple draft picks. As for Sutter, we should package him with Goldobin to get a big tough guy to replace Schaller! We really don't need Hutton back if he's asking $3M+.

That will free up $8M of cap space to go after another top 6 winger via trade! There are no more top 6 forwards left in the FA market unless you don't mind an aging Justin Williams!

Eriksson.... just dump him to Utica if Edmonton isn't willing to sweeten the Lucic swap!

• Upvote 1

Considering the Canucks are pushing hard for the playoffs this year, I thought Tanev would be dealt at the deadline so that we don't have to lose any depth on D from the start of the year. If dealt at the deadline (depending on how the team is doing) then his role can be replaced shortly after when Tryamkin comes back at the end of his season in March/April or when Juolevi shows he's ready to step in and help out. Let's see what JB has up his sleeve.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Should be Gaudette, so 88 goes back where it belongs.

Oh.... you miss Tryamkin? He ain't coming back unless we got both Goldobin AND Podkolzin here to keep him feel safe & warm! No jokes!

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 2
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, mephnick said:

I just don't see why we ship out Tanev when the defense finally looks competent for the first time in years. I think he's worth more to us than whatever middling asset we would get for him. Losing Tanev moves guys up the depth chart that shouldn't be there.

I hear you... but it's all good!! 85% of CDC seem to love Biega!! He'll fill in just fine every 5 games.... 

8 minutes ago, mephnick said:

I just don't see why we ship out Tanev when the defense finally looks competent for the first time in years. I think he's worth more to us than whatever middling asset we would get for him. Losing Tanev moves guys up the depth chart that shouldn't be there.

Depends on who else we sign, not for sure it's Hutton, also Tryamkin could return late in the season. If Tanev were still durable, different story.

13 minutes ago, mephnick said:

Benning has said that he was looking to add another top 6 but the Luongo recapture prevented that.  Tanev cap would facility a top 6 singing and considering his injury prone status of past year, Benning would probably need to add another depth D anyways. 

Also Myers will log big minutes on the right side and Stetcher seems to be taking more and more responsability, hence reducing ice-time for Tanev. 

For these reasons, I can see it happening.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Vanuckles said:

Considering the Canucks are pushing hard for the playoffs this year, I thought Tanev would be dealt at the deadline so that we don't have to lose any depth on D from the start of the year. If dealt at the deadline (depending on how the team is doing) then his role can be replaced shortly after when Tryamkin comes back at the end of his season in March/April or when Juolevi shows he's ready to step in and help out. Let's see what JB has up his sleeve.

Tanev is always injured at the deadline. So no.

Edited by Me_
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2