The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Tanev possibly being shopped

3 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I blocked that dork ages ago :lol:

Smart man. I will do more of that I think. I find 90% of posters in here are fun to have conversations with. But man.....a few are insufferable lol.

I am not sure why some actual humans would find it imperative to try to win every single conversation or post they make in an online forum.  I mean...we all come here to get more knowledge on the Canucks don't we??

Very weird behaviour.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Cheers 1

If he was traded years ago, he was worth at least a 1st, although you can't really blame Benning for wanting to keep him around for the next core given his age and the stability his game offers.

He struggled a bit last year, but before that the difference between how our defense looked with and without him in the lineup was night and day.

If he has a good year and stays healthy (big if, at least on the latter), should be able to get something like a 2nd + 3rd at the deadline... hopefully. To start the season, coming off an injury-plagued weak year, he's worth more to the team than on the trade market.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

With the new additions, I don't see any better FA options to Tanev out there.  

Unless the club is confident that Raferty or Woo is ready now.  I dont see it and I think if Tanev is moved it would be at the TDL.  

For his cap hit and what he brings, I could see the club keeping him if it looks like we are playoff bound.  

Is there any indication whether or not Tanev would re sign with us or not? 

We could lose him for nothing.  

I would trade him whenever the best opportunity comes along . 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

Is there any indication whether or not Tanev would re sign with us or not? 

We could lose him for nothing.  

I would trade him whenever the best opportunity comes along . 

IDK.

I believe making the playoffs might be a bigger need than asset management.  Tanev might be lost for nothing.  Lots of time between now and the TDL.  

I’d love to add a top 6 but if it is Tanev that we move out to clear cap space I’d rather add Gardiner for same contract as Myers.

Gardiner will Probly cost about 1.5 million more than Tanev but I think there is room once you send players to Utica.  We can also move Rousell to IR for a few months. 

On 7/6/2019 at 7:55 AM, flat land fish said:

The way the leafs are adding D with expiring contracts it would seem Tanev is a match made in heaven

Just send us Nylander once Marner is offer sheeted for 12.5.

We retain 50 % on Tan man. Problem solved.

2 hours ago, babalu said:

Just send us Nylander once Marner is offer sheeted for 12.5.

We retain 50 % on Tan man. Problem solved.

This is a great deal for both teams.

Finacially however, it skews the Canucks’ ability to manage their cap.

9 hours ago, Me_ said:

This is a great deal for both teams.

Finacially however, it skews the Canucks’ ability to manage their cap.

So we take on a 7 million dollar player who was on pace for 40 points last season and retain on Tanev essentially making it cost about 9+ million to acquire him and lose depth on our defense that won't be able to be replaced with quality with the cap spent already and this would be a great deal for us?

If they wanted Tanev with 50% retained, they should've given us Zaitsev and Kapanen (while there was no rumour to this, it's something I would've been happy with and think many others too). This deal would've freed up space (which we now know would be about like 5 million in savings.

Only deal I'd consider now to save them is Tanev retained for Ceci and a pick.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

17 hours ago, theo5789 said:

So we take on a 7 million dollar player who was on pace for 40 points last season and retain on Tanev essentially making it cost about 9+ million to acquire him and lose depth on our defense that won't be able to be replaced with quality with the cap spent already and this would be a great deal for us?

If they wanted Tanev with 50% retained, they should've given us Zaitsev and Kapanen (while there was no rumour to this, it's something I would've been happy with and think many others too). This deal would've freed up space (which we now know would be about like 5 million in savings.

Only deal I'd consider now to save them is Tanev retained for Ceci and a pick.

Cap shmap. Nylander is likely to bounce back this year.

He would be a good fit next to Petey.

Not sure why anyone would want Ceci. 

• Wat 2

3 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

I love how people are like trade Tanev and then the trades include cap coming back... The whole idea of trading Tanev is because we need the cap relief. Trading Tanev and signing Boeser gets us just under the cap.

We have 5.5 mil on cap space right now. We can exceed the cap ceiling by 10%. Trading tanev has nothing to do with cap implications whatsoever. The only tanev trade that makes sense for us is ome that creates future assets. We can maximize the assets coming in by retaining some salary.

9 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

I love how people are like trade Tanev and then the trades include cap coming back... The whole idea of trading Tanev is because we need the cap relief. Trading Tanev and signing Boeser gets us just under the cap.

If you get us down to a 23 man roster, we have just enough cap to get Boeser signed for around 7-8 million if needed. We don't need to trade Tanev as a cap dump. Anyone else we "dump" is simply for more wiggle room. Our cap situation is just fine.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, babalu said:

Cap shmap. Nylander is likely to bounce back this year.

He would be a good fit next to Petey.

Not sure why anyone would want Ceci. 

Let me guess, all you looked at was Ceci's +/-? Nylander bouncing back to a 60 point player still does not make him worth taking on 9+ million in cap space.