The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Tanev possibly being shopped

On 7/6/2019 at 4:04 AM, Phat Fingers said:

IDK.

I believe making the playoffs might be a bigger need than asset management.  Tanev might be lost for nothing.  Lots of time between now and the TDL.  

Don't count on TDL.  Tanev has been injured the last 2 years just before the TDL.  Thus negating any chance to trade him.

48 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

We have 5.5 mil on cap space right now. We can exceed the cap ceiling by 10%. Trading tanev has nothing to do with cap implications whatsoever. The only tanev trade that makes sense for us is ome that creates future assets. We can maximize the assets coming in by retaining some salary.

Trading Tanev has everything to do with cap implications. If we trade Tanev it's to free up cap space not to take on cap. Yes, you can exceed the cap by 10% but that's only if you have someone you can put on LTIR. Once that person comes back you then need to free up cap space. If everyone is healthy then we are over the cap. You can't assume throughout the year your team will never be full healthy.

3 hours ago, peaches5 said:

I love how people are like trade Tanev and then the trades include cap coming back... The whole idea of trading Tanev is because we need the cap relief. Trading Tanev and signing Boeser gets us just under the cap.

I think the idea of dealing Tanev at this point would be to take advantage of the very widespread cap crunch - dealing Tanev at his cap hit, possibly even retained, might command a worthwhile return.   For me it would have to either included a younger RHD replacement, or have a RHD placeholder in cue who does not set the team back to far in terms of performance.

Not going to repeat all my proposals here - ie Tampa, NYI / Cernak, Mayfield, etc.

But one 'new' idea might be to deal him to Ottawa as an LE incentive, while possibly taking a RHD back.

To Ottawa

Tanev

Eriksson

Goldobin

To Van

Boedker

Borowiecki   (or Hainsey - unlikely having just signed him but stranger things have happened).

Ottawa adds a worthwhile prospect/pick to make up Tanev's value.

Why would Ottawa want Tanev or spend a pick?   Because it then gives them the option of turning around and flipping him  - ie to Toronto - and taking the strapped Leafs to the cleaners in the process (if they choose).   Tanev to Toronto - via Ottawa - gives Ottawa a lot of flexibility to take a cap hit (ie Nylander).

They could also re-enter the deflated UFA market (to fil the hole this would create in moving a Borowiecki)- which still has some decent defensemen unsigned.

6 hours ago, peaches5 said:

Trading Tanev has everything to do with cap implications. If we trade Tanev it's to free up cap space not to take on cap. Yes, you can exceed the cap by 10% but that's only if you have someone you can put on LTIR. Once that person comes back you then need to free up cap space. If everyone is healthy then we are over the cap. You can't assume throughout the year your team will never be full healthy.

I really dont feel like explaining rhis to you. We have enough space to sign boeser. Believe me or not I dont care. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, peaches5 said:

I love how people are like trade Tanev and then the trades include cap coming back... The whole idea of trading Tanev is because we need the cap relief. Trading Tanev and signing Boeser gets us just under the cap.

It has been explained by numerous posters numerous times that the Canucks have enough room to sign  Boeser without trading Tanev. Just read the thread. 

• -SN- changed the title to [Speculation] Tanev possibly being shopped

Thought this was inetresing, Steve Simmons reported yesterday:

Apparently, Matthews would rather not spend so much quality time with Kapanen in the upcoming season.

No Leafs player logged more ice time on Matthews’ wing than Kapanen did last season. The duo appeared together for roughly 524 even-strength minutes. They were typically accompanied by either Patrick Marleau or Andreas Johnsson.

Kapanen set a career high of 44 points last season and was awarded a three-year, $9.6 million contract this summer. The Leafs are in a notoriously tight cap situation. The last thing the team needs is an internal conflict between players. But it looks like that’s precisely what they’ve got. Things have been brewing between Kapanen and Matthews for some time.

Toronto needs to iron this out because realistically the front office has bigger things to worry about than two guys not wanting to skate together. Matthews and Kapanen have been butting heads for a while now and, in his article, Simmonds believes the two will be split up. He says that Matthews could end up centering William Nylander and rookie Ilya Mikheyev. Kapanen, on the other hand, would end up with Johnsson and Alexander Kerfoot as linemates in Simmonds’ theory.

Sounds like the Leafs have trouble in their room, and Matthews is one of the participants. It would probably be in their best interest to trade Kapanen.

Tanev for Kapenen?  

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Apparently, Matthews would rather not spend so much quality time with Kapanen in the upcoming season.

No Leafs player logged more ice time on Matthews’ wing than Kapanen did last season. The duo appeared together for roughly 524 even-strength minutes. They were typically accompanied by either Patrick Marleau or Andreas Johnsson.

Kapanen set a career high of 44 points last season and was awarded a three-year, $9.6 million contract this summer. The Leafs are in a notoriously tight cap situation. The last thing the team needs is an internal conflict between players. But it looks like that’s precisely what they’ve got. Things have been brewing between Kapanen and Matthews for some time.

Toronto needs to iron this out because realistically the front office has bigger things to worry about than two guys not wanting to skate together. Matthews and Kapanen have been butting heads for a while now and, in his article, Simmonds believes the two will be split up. He says that Matthews could end up centering William Nylander and rookie Ilya Mikheyev. Kapanen, on the other hand, would end up with Johnsson and Alexander Kerfoot as linemates in Simmonds’ theory.

Sounds like the Leafs have trouble in their room, and Matthews is one of the participants. It would probably be in their best interest to trade Kapanen.

Tanev for Kapenen?  

Steve Simmons might be worse than all of our reporters combined. I think Alflives might be a better reporter even. :P

Edited by The Lock
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Steve Simmons might be worse than all of our reporters combined. I think Alflives might be a better reporter even. :P

haha, I know Simmons by looking at him (big Leafs fan I think), but didn't realize how unreliable his reporting is. Who knows?

9 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Tanev for Kapenen?  

If T.O. is now screwed by the cap and their players being childish, lets not help them.

Schaller for Kapanen at 50% retention.  :ph34r:

• Upvote 1