The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Tanev possibly being shopped

2 hours ago, zimmy said:

The thought of him taking one more hard shot, whether body or head, and lying prone on the ice is haunting me. I don't doubt that he is receiving the best medical advice available but it seems someone with his history is taking an extraordinary risk. He's a father now, a responsibility I'm sure he takes seriously, and I assume he plans to have more children and grow a family with his lovely wife. Can't imagine the conflicted feelings he might experience if he was forced to walk away from the game before he was ready but I know it would be a courageous thing to do. 

Yeah your right. Health comes first for sure! Love Baer! He has improved his game and was looking like a consistent 50 point player. Hopefully he can recover like Crosby. Remember when everyone said Crosby was done and was worried for his health?

6 minutes ago, HOFsedins said:

Yeah your right. Health comes first for sure! Love Baer! He has improved his game and was looking like a consistent 50 point player. Hopefully he can recover like Crosby. Remember when everyone said Crosby was done and was worried for his health?

Being reminded of Crosby gives me some hope. He’s been able to flourish without materially changing his game over a fairly lengthy period. Why not Baer!

7 hours ago, Odd. said:

Tanev, especially with the signing of Myers, should have a decreased role on our backend. I guess the perk with having Myers is that some of the defensive assignments (not all because Myers is deficient defensively) can be allocated to him, giving Tanev much more time off and perhaps decrease the chances of injury. 

I think bringing in Benn helps more with this facet.

10 hours ago, GreyHatnDart said:

Are people just blindly hating Benning now cuz this has happened on occasion that a player going to FA the following season couldn’t get traded, for whatever reason? Same thing as literally every team in the league has happen to them every year? Oh. Okay. 

:rolleyes:

I guess I am just still sour we let Dan ham go for nothing. Upset we have waited too long and lost trade value on  Tanev. Coulda shoulda traded Hutton. Got fleeced on Kessler trade. Just sour

• Haha 1
  • Wat 2

14 minutes ago, Krzysl said:

I guess I am just still sour we let Dan ham go for nothing. Upset we have waited too long and lost trade value on  Tanev. Coulda shoulda traded Hutton. Got fleeced on Kessler trade. Just sour

Hutton?  No team wanted a guy with arb rights where the settlement was going to be over 4 million, and once settled the team had no choice but to accept it.  Hutton is likely going to sign for half that as a UFA.  

Hammer wouldn’t accept a trade.  Gillis gave him a NTC.

Tanev we should have traded two years ago.  I agree.  We shouldn’t trade him now though. 

Edited by Alflives
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hutton?  No team wanted a guy with arb rights where the settlement was going to be over 4 million, and once settled the team had no choice but to accept it.  Hutton is likely going to sign for half that as a UFA.  

Hammer wouldn’t accept a trade.  Gillis gave him a NTC.

Tanev we should have traded two years ago.  I agree.  We shouldn’t trade him now though. 

Well said Alf. I'm in the same boat with Tanev. We need all hands on deck and creating a hole on D to fill a hole at forward doesn't make sense. I'd rather just see who has the best camp out of Goldobin, Leivo, Virtanen etc and give the them a shot in the top 6. We need all the defense we can get.

Edited by VIC_CITY
  • Upvote 1

Just now, VIC_CITY said:

Well said Alf. I'm in the same bought with Tanev. We need all hands on deck and creating a hole on D to fill a hole at forward doesn't make sense. I'd rather just see who has the best camp out of Goldobin, Leivo, Virtanen etc and give the them a shot in the top 6. We need all the defense we can get.

I'm not opposed to keeping Tanev, if that's what happens. We'll be better/deeper with him here (when he's healthy/playing <_< ) than moving him. No argument. But I also think we should certainly explore moving him as well, as he's gone one way or the other this year and I'd prefer to get SOMETHING for him now before he's injured and immovable AGAIN.

But by all means, if we do trade him, there would need to be a plan in place to either have a younger, but ready D coming back, or to sign one of the remaining, available UFA's to replace the body. Will it be a downgrade in individual talent? Probably. But I'm not convinced it will be a downgrade in overall team performance if his replacement plays closer to 82 games...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Petey Castiglione said:

JB still working from the sounds of it.

Sutter's year wasn't terrible, but teams will use the fact he was injured for 21 games two seasons ago and 56 games last season against Benning. Same with Tanman. Honestly if we can move one or both without retaining cap or taking bad cap back that is a win given the circumstances. Recouping high-ish picks is even better. Without our 1st potentially this year it'd be nice to load up on some 2nd and 3rd rounders to make up for that.

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

Sutter's year wasn't terrible, but teams will use the fact he was injured for 21 games two seasons ago and 56 games last season against Benning. Same with Tanman. Honestly if we can move one or both without retaining cap or taking bad cap back that is a win given the circumstances. Recouping high-ish picks is even better. Without our 1st potentially this year it'd be nice to load up on some 2nd and 3rd rounders to make up for that.

Sutter is worth far more to us than what we'd get in a trade, he's a great shut down C and Gaudette can learn a ton from him.

You'd think Winnipeg would be calling Jim for Tanev by now.... 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Sutter is worth far more to us than what we'd get in a trade, he's a great shut down C and Gaudette can learn a ton from him.

They should also be calling for Risto.

Ehlers for Risto... Not sure what we'd get back for Tanev from them.

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I like Sutter don't get me wrong, but I think Beagle and Bo could also fill that mentor role. So it's not like we NEED to keep Sutter. We also have Manny behind the bench. Sutter is great when around, but if moving his cap helps Benning improve the top 6 by going after Johansson or Dzingel (preferably on modest 4ish mil deals) then I'd rather move out Sutter.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I like Sutter don't get me wrong, but I think Beagle and Bo could also fill that mentor role. So it's not like we NEED to keep Sutter. We also have Manny behind the bench. Sutter is great when around, but if moving his cap helps Benning improve the top 6 by going after Johansson or Dzingel (preferably on modest 4ish mil deals) then I'd rather move out Sutter.

With the addition of Miller (as well as the kids naturally getting stronger/more experienced), it also likely means that Pettersson/Boeser's line also needs less than the 70% sheltering they saw last year as well that was provided to them by the likes of Beagle, Sutter (and Horvat when Sutter was out). 

I doubt he gets moved this summer (though not impossible) especially as I think his trade value goes up if he gets some games/stays healthy but it's quite possible at some point this season we see him moved from a team that no longer needs quite as much sheltering as it once did.

15 hours ago, oldnews said:

That adds at least a few million of cap, and leaves the team without a top 4 RHD.

The additional problem = you're trading to add to the area the team is deepest, while taking from the position it is shallowest.  It recreates the position the team was in heading into free agency, but leaves them looking at the leftovers of the UFA market., and entering a trade market where a gaggle of RHD have already been moved / taken off the market.  Interesting whether that ought to enhance Tanev's value.

They could cpnceivablymove Stecher up - but they'd still need to add a RHD - while having capped themselves out.

Your entire premise is flawed because you fail to differentiate between top 6 and bottom 6 forwards while at the same time making that distinction between top. 4 D.

Top 6 forwards are NOT a strength of the organization. We have four of them (Petterson, Boeser, Horvat, and Miller) plus some placeholders in Baertschi and Pearson.  Miller is even questionable as he is probably a sixth of a top 6 and lower on a good team.  Benning has talked a lot about our top 6 forwards, and hasn’t mentioned Baertschi’s name.

At the same time, we have five top 4 D currently (Edler, Myers, Hughes, Stecher, Tanev).  You are simply objectively wrong in saying that moving Tanev leaves us without a top 4 RHD.  Every reasonable metric says Stecher is a top 4 guy... maybe not an elite one, but neither is Tanev at this point, and we have Myers for that side as well.  We have two top 4 RHD plus Tanev.  We additionally have Benn, Juolevi, and possibly Tryamkin before the end of the season to finish of our D corps.  Benn and Tryamkin being valuable in that they both play either side.

So, trading to add Gusev at the cost of Tanev is not (as you assert) trading from a place of weakness to a place of strength.  Schaller and Reaves in the deal are a wash positionally wise, but are adding to an area of weakness in some toughness at the expense of an area of surplus... of fairly meaningless depth forwards.

It is a luxury to have Tanev for the 50 or so games he will play, and if we can add a top 6 forward and keep him, or course we do.  If we can swing a trade with no salary retained, great.

Unfortunately in the world of reality, trades need to meet the other team’s needs as well.  Tanev with salary retained has value to strapped teams.  Tanev without salary retained has much less value.

If we did that deal with Vegas we are in a better position to find another 6-8th D than we are trying to find a legit top 6 forward.

Miller-Petterson-Boeser

Gusev-Horvat-Pearson

Leivo-Sutter/Gaudette-Virtanen

Roussell-Beagle-Reaves

Motte

Edler-Stecher

Hughes-Myer

Juolevi/UFA-Benn

Sautner/Biega/Fantenberg

*Tryamkin possibly in time for the last part of the season and playoffs.

Edited by Provost
  • Wat 1