The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Tanev possibly being shopped

13 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I like Sutter don't get me wrong, but I think Beagle and Bo could also fill that mentor role. So it's not like we NEED to keep Sutter. We also have Manny behind the bench. Sutter is great when around, but if moving his cap helps Benning improve the top 6 by going after Johansson or Dzingel (preferably on modest 4ish mil deals) then I'd rather move out Sutter.

for sure if we could accomplish that by moving him then its a step up. 

24 minutes ago, aGENT said:

They should also be calling for Risto.

Ehlers for Risto... Not sure what we'd get back for Tanev from them.

their 2020 1st, otherwise they can enjoy getting picked apart, particularly when (not if) Buffy is out with injury 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

With the addition of Miller (as well as the kids naturally getting stronger/more experienced), it also likely means that Pettersson/Boeser's line also needs less than the 70% sheltering they saw last year as well that was provided to them by the likes of Beagle, Sutter (and Horvat when Sutter was out). 

I doubt he gets moved this summer (though not impossible) especially as I think his trade value goes up if he gets some games/stays healthy but it's quite possible at some point this season we see him moved from a team that no longer needs quite as much sheltering as it once did.

That's a good point about Miller. He does provide some of that added vet presence and has the added benefit of actually being a top 6 forward.

I am not really concerned with what we'd get back for Sutter, as the value in trading him is really the 4mil in cap that can be spent on Johansson. Since moving him later for a 3rd rounder instead of say a 4th rounder now isn't worth losing out on Johansson who likely doesn't spend the start of the season a UFA. Moving Sutter also frees up that roster spot for whichever top 6 forward Benning might be after in Free agency still whereas moving Tanev for cap just kinda creates a hole on defense.

Just now, N7Nucks said:

That's a good point about Miller. He does provide some of that added vet presence and has the added benefit of actually being a top 6 forward.

I am not really concerned with what we'd get back for Sutter, as the value in trading him is really the 4mil in cap that can be spent on Johansson. Since moving him later for a 3rd rounder instead of say a 4th rounder now isn't worth losing out on Johansson who likely doesn't spend the start of the season a UFA. Moving Sutter also frees up that roster spot for whichever top 6 forward Benning might be after in Free agency still whereas moving Tanev for cap just kinda creates a hole on defense.

Miller's also sound defensively and can pitch in on face offs. Two of the bigger reasons that line was as (rightly) sheltered as it was.

Personally I think Sutter fetches a fair bit more than a 3rd if he's healthy.

Any Tanev move would need to be based around a plan to bring in another body on D (UFA or otherwise). So not really a hole.

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Miller's also sound defensively and can pitch in on face offs. Two of the bigger reasons that line was as (rightly) sheltered as it was.

Personally I think Sutter fetches a fair bit more than a 3rd if he's healthy.

Any Tanev move would need to be based around a plan to bring in another body on D (UFA or otherwise). So not really a hole.

Bring someone back in a Tanev deal likely brings cap back. Even if it's only like 1-2mil that's cap we can't really afford if we want to target a top 6 forward this summer (although that likely depends on the Boeser extension). A Sutter trade can be done straight up for a pick no cap back or retained hopefully. Even if that means we leave value on the table it's worth it to improve our top 6. Getting an extra nickle later for Sutter isn't worth losing out on potentially getting a quarter now in Johansson. At least in my opinion.

9 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Bring someone back in a Tanev deal likely brings cap back. Even if it's only like 1-2mil that's cap we can't really afford if we want to target a top 6 forward this summer (although that likely depends on the Boeser extension). A Sutter trade can be done straight up for a pick no cap back or retained hopefully. Even if that means we leave value on the table it's worth it to improve our top 6. Getting an extra nickle later for Sutter isn't worth losing out on potentially getting a quarter now in Johansson. At least in my opinion.

An extra $2m +/- likely is enough to get that F FWIW. Focus on the 23 man roster ;)

I think Sutter's worth more than a 'nickel' if healthy. And again, I think there's ways of adding a 'quarter' without moving him anyway. That said, I'm not opposed to moving him either. I'm certainly not in the 'we need to dump him/his contract' camp though. That's just silly IMO.

*Edit:

I'm also not of the opinion we're desperate to add a 2RW either. We have guys to fight for that spot in Baer/Virtanen/Gaudette/Goldy...heck, perhaps even Sutter. If we can that's great but I'm not panicking to make moves/sell low if I'm Benning, for something that's a 'want' not a 'need'.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

An extra $2m +/- likely is enough to get that F FWIW. Focus on the 23 man roster ;)

I think Sutter's worth more than a 'nickel' if healthy. And again, I think there's ways of adding a 'quarter' without moving him anyway. That said, I'm not opposed to moving him either. I'm certainly not in the 'we need to dump him/his contract' camp though. That's just silly IMO.

*Edit:

I'm also not of the opinion we're desperate to add a 2RW either. We have guys to fight for that spot in Baer/Virtanen/Gaudette/Goldy...heck, perhaps even Sutter. If we can that's great but I'm not panicking to make moves/sell low if I'm Benning, for something that's a 'want' not a 'need'.

I never said he was worth a nickel, just said we'd get an extra nickel waiting to move him. Lol. He's not worth more than a 2nd and maybe a throw away 23 year old prospect, at most. Lets be honest. If we move him now we maybe get a 3rd and some random ass AHLer. Should we really care about moving the pick up a round just cause you NEED to get full value outta a bottom 6 guy for some reason? He will never command a 1st round pick or an A prospect, at his best. What we gain waiting isn't worth what we'd lose now. But hey, that 2nd rounder will be Duncan Keith probably.

6 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I never said he was worth a nickel, just said we'd get an extra nickel waiting to move him. Lol. He's not worth more than a 2nd and maybe a throw away 23 year old prospect, at most. Lets be honest. If we move him now we maybe get a 3rd and some random ass AHLer. Should we really care about moving the pick up a round just cause you NEED to get full value outta a bottom 6 guy for some reason? He will never command a 1st round pick or an A prospect, at his best. What we gain waiting isn't worth what we'd lose now. But hey, that 2nd rounder will be Duncan Keith probably.

We might have to add a 4th or something, but IMO he could fetch a late 1st. One was apparently offered for him straight up a couple years ago in fact FWIW.

And my not being in any panic to move him has little to do with eeking out every last ounce of value, that's not particularly my argument. We have zero need to 'dump' a perfectly useful and quality player that can still provide a very helpful (if dwindling in need) sheltering of offensive players, role. You either misread my argument or are simply substituting your own assumed one.

Edited by aGENT

I agree that we could move Tanev to open some cap and possibly sign Dzingel or Ferland.

If we got rid of Tanev maybe you look at getting a leftover UFA RHD such as Phaneuf.

Edler  Stecher

Hughes  Myers

Benn  Phaneuf

Say what you want about Phaneuf but he could still log some big minutes with Benn in a shut down type of role so that Hughes and Myers had lots of O zone time.  Just throwing it out there before the flames come lol.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

We might have to add a 4th or something, but IMO he could fetch a late 1st. One was apparently offered for him straight up a couple years ago in fact FWIW.

And my not being in any panic to move him has little to do with eeking out every last ounce of value, that's not particularly my argument. We have zero need to 'dump' a perfectly useful and quality player that can still provide a very helpful (if dwindling in need) sheltering of offensive players, role. You either misread my argument or are simply substituting your own assumed one.

Zero chance Sutter is worth a 1st...late 1st....mid 1st....any first lmao.

If Sutter was able to remain healthy and have a good year there is a slim possibility he gets that at TDL.  But right now he probably has very little value due to his last year, his previous injuries, and the fact very few teams have camp space.

Yikes.....1st lol.

Edit: and if Sutter did have a healthy and good year it is possible the Canucks are in the playoffs and JB won't be selling anyway.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Zero chance Sutter is worth a 1st...late 1st....mid 1st....any first lmao.

If Sutter was able to remain healthy and have a good year there is a slim possibility he gets that at TDL.  But right now he probably has very little value due to his last year, his previous injuries, and the fact very few teams have camp space.

Yikes.....1st lol.

Edit: and if Sutter did have a healthy and good year it is possible the Canucks are in the playoffs and JB won't be selling anyway.

Ya, we couldn't give Sutter away for free. He has negative value with his contract, injury history and drop in play last season when he was healthy. However, when healthy, Sutter CAN help a team...but you just can't bet on that happening. JB will need a healthy Sutter and will likely need to eat salary before any trade can happen.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Ya, we couldn't give Sutter away for free. He has negative value with his contract, injury history and drop in play last season when he was healthy. However, when healthy, Sutter CAN help a team...but you just can't bet on that happening. JB will need a healthy Sutter and will likely need to eat salary before any trade can happen.

For the same reason people are crossing fingers that Edler/Tanev stay healthier with the now added D depth around them, the same largely applies to Sutter.

With Miller added, Petey's line won't require the same level of sheltering. With our improved D, particularly at transitioning the puck, we're likely spending less time in our own end. We might actually be a positive puck possession team this year! All this adds up to hopefully reduced, hard minutes on Sutter (and Beagle) and hence, hopefully better health (some better luck wouldn't hurt there either).

He played basically the same role on a better PIT team and was remarkably healthy before coming here. Hopefully as we trend to a better puck possession team, the same will unfold here.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Provost said:

Your entire premise is flawed because you fail to differentiate between top 6 and bottom 6 forwards while at the same time making that distinction between top. 4 D.

What a bizarre read wth all due respect  - nothing but playing meaningless semantics games - and,ironcially, referring to Myers now as a "top 4" when you've been peddling the myth that he doesn't measure up for weeks now.

On 6/25/2019 at 11:27 AM, Provost said:

Myers isn’t even a legit top 4 guy and is really just a really good 3rd pairing guy who struggles when playing higher up.

Yiou render the  term even more meaningless than the reality of the way D are deployed in today's NHL.

Waste of time .

Hutton is a top 4, Miller is a top 4, Stecher is a top 4, Myers isn't a top 4, top 4 top 4 blah blah - whatever - none of it based in a whiff of reality - mere Provost narrative.

Pointless 'discussion'.

Probably the most tedious poster on these boards.

Moving Tanev takes a top 4 out of this lineup - is that really confusing?  Sematics games don't change that - and moreover, your proposal spends the remaining cap on forwards....A pass on your 'plan'.   Also a pass on the idea of laying those expectatiions on Stecher - better off having a pair of guys like Myers and Tanev (or viable replacement) in the lineup with him - it's more vital than a forward upgrade at this point.

Edited by oldnews

Sure, Tanev is responsible defensively but after that he just doesn't do anything to make you like him. Isn't very physical, doesn't put up points and misses alot of games due to injury. It would have to be a pretty D needy team to get anything in return that would really impact the team this year and it's not like we have great depth there anyway even after the Myers, Benn and Fantenberg signings. Unless they are uber confident in Teves, Sautner or Juolevi I don't see him going unless it's a A plus offer.