The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2020 NHL Entry Draft - Round 1 Oct.6 @ 4pm PST (SN). Rounds 2-7 Oct.7 @ 8:30am (SN1)

Noble 6

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Has Kubicek been rated as a 2nd round guy, or has he been just flying under the radar?

Has size & seems to have decent skills. I'm not sure about his skating though, not sure if he moves quick enough.

Perhaps 2nd round might be high, but I feel if we had a late 2nd, then I'd be okay with it. He might be rated more around the 3rd round (quick search has some sites ranking him around 90-100 mark based on October rankings), not sure he makes it to our 4th round pick. Big shot RD that can play physical as well. Skating might be something to work on for sure though, but a lot of positive attributes and skating is probably something that is most easily worked on.

Michael Benning or Carter Savoie could be a good pick ups from the AJHL. Both will probably play in the U19 tournament and are from good hockey families. Jim is Michael's uncle and his brother is on the Oilers, Carter's brother is a projected first overall pick in 2022. Michael Benning's stats are very impressive when you compare them to someone like Makar in his draft year, but in a lower league such as AJHL stats dont mean everything.

Draft year stats:

Benning 1.43 pts/game 

Makar 1.39 pts/game 

Fabbro 1.49 pts/game 

Edited by Bure_Pavel

1 hour ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

sorry guys, nothing personal, I'm on board team tank.  nothing more, I feel it's best for the team moving foward. 

Im out of team tank. Then again Im not in team playoff mode yet.

This is a transitional year where the kids need to learn from some veterans as those veterans are moved out.

So far Ive been disappointed with this year as guys like Eriksson and Schaller, who have no future here, are playing while guys like MacEwen sit in the press box. Need to give MacEwen and Rafferty longer looks this year while also giving guys like Juolevi, Chatfield and Lind a taste at the NHL level.

Finish around the 10-15 spot on the draft. Hope for some luck and take the BPA

11 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I’m down for whatever playoffs or retooling at the deadline I just hope we’re comfortably in or out of it so that we don’t stand pat and still miss the playoffs missing out on some decent trades.

That would be nice but im thinking it going to come down to the wire, if we are even remotely close I dont see us being sellers.   17 games left before Trade deadline

nsh.png

Nashville
20-16-7 47 1.093 19 Won 1 4-4-2
van.png

Vancouver

23-17-4 50 1.136 20 Lost 2 7-3-0
vgk.png

Vegas
24-17-6 54 1.149 21 Lost 2 5-4-1    

cgy.png

Calgary
24-17-5 53 1.152 20 Won 4 6-3-1    

edm.png

Edmonton

24-17-5 53 1.152 22 Won 3 5-4-1
Edited by Bure_Pavel

On 1/10/2020 at 9:17 AM, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Late pick Tag Bertuzzi. lets go.

Snag Alex Naslund with one too. :ph34r: I imagine he goes undrafted though. Not entirely sure how good his points are given I have no idea how good the league he is in is. 

Was the real little Bert draft eligible last year?

Jack Thompson in the 3rd or 4th rounds might be ok 

• Position 
    D
  • Height 
    6'1" / 185 cm
  • Weight 
    172 lbs / 78 kg
  • Shoots 
    R 
  • Contract
    -

1 hour ago, kenhodgejr said:

Jack Thompson in the 3rd or 4th rounds might be ok 

• Position 
    D
  • Height 
    6'1" / 185 cm
  • Weight 
    172 lbs / 78 kg
  • Shoots 
    R 
  • Contract
    -

Always interested in a 6ft+ Right shot defensemen. We sure could use a couple more of them in the system 

Gunnarwolfe Fonatine definitely looks like an intriguing mid round pick. You know who else was right near the top of the USHL goal scoring race in their draft year? 

Brock Boeser.

The fact that he's committed to North Eastern is a positive too. They are more willing to play young players higher in the lineup. Gaudette, Madden and McDonough have already seen the benefits of this. Also, he's a lock on the all name team.

• Haha 1

On 1/7/2020 at 10:29 AM, Bure_Pavel said:

Michael Benning or Carter Savoie could be a good pick ups from the AJHL. Both will probably play in the U19 tournament and are from good hockey families. Jim is Michael's uncle and his brother is on the Oilers, Carter's brother is a projected first overall pick in 2022. Michael Benning's stats are very impressive when you compare them to someone like Makar in his draft year, but in a lower league such as AJHL stats dont mean everything.

Draft year stats:

Benning 1.43 pts/game 

Makar 1.39 pts/game 

Fabbro 1.49 pts/game 

I came on here to talk about Michael Benning as I think he would be an excellent 3rd round pick (not even considering his blood relation to Jim Benning). Like you said, very similar stats and age - adjusted scoring compared to Cale Makar. 

On 1/11/2020 at 1:11 PM, 112 said:

I still maintain that we should draft only defencemen barring extremely obviously better choices.

Considering that we will most likely be losing our 1st round pick this year, I too agree that using a 2nd to draft a defenseman would 'probably' be the right choice. I've always maintained that you get better value out of drafting defenseman out of the 2nd round (I am of the belief that you are more likely to get a 2nd - pairing + defender than a 1st line forward. The reason I do not include 2nd line forward into this equation is that a 2nd pair defenseman has way more value than a 2nd line forward). With the way the Canucks are set up we are set for our top 2 lines for the next 4-5 years. We still have Podkolzin, Lind, Hoglander in the system to fill in the gaps and our defensemen pipeline will be severely diminished once Juolevi, Rafferty and Woo potentially make the jump once Edler, Tanev go. Start the grooming process and draft a defenseman for 5 years down the road.

• Upvote 1

On 1/16/2020 at 8:30 AM, Horvat is a Boss said:

Gunnarwolfe Fonatine definitely looks like an intriguing mid round pick. You know who else was right near the top of the USHL goal scoring race in their draft year? 

Brock Boeser.

The fact that he's committed to North Eastern is a positive too. They are more willing to play young players higher in the lineup. Gaudette, Madden and McDonough have already seen the benefits of this. Also, he's a lock on the all name team.

Nevermind the fact that his name is Gunnarwolfe. That's a 1st round pick name.

Draft D heavy this coming year, no need to draft a goalie till the very end if at all. C is never a bad option also but can't go wrong with D, if they pan out its a luxury to have if you need to trade 1.

Last draft we didn't take a single D? Also, when you draft D other than Hughes they are going to take 2-4 years of development. So good to have the depth in that area with 0 need to rush them or cast them away without giving them a chance