The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2020 NHL Entry Draft - Round 1 Oct.6 @ 4pm PST (SN). Rounds 2-7 Oct.7 @ 8:30am (SN1)

Noble 6

52 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Pffft if we win this lottery this year I am immediately calling Ottawa and asking them for two of their picks this year and one of their top prospects

Say...as of todays standings

Van 1st overall

for

3rd OA Ott

19th OA NYI

Alex Formenton

Or even to Jersey for their first our first next year and a ???

This would be the year the Nucks somehow manage to win the 1st overall.  I'd rather make bank somehow really instead of drafting one single player and hoping for the best out of him.

Personally I think we have a decent amount of quality depth, if we get 1st overall, you draft Lafreniere.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DontMessMe said:

Our core isn't good enuf to win the cup. All or nothin. Yes, I know it may take few cracks in playoffs but still. I think we 1 lottery pick away 

And what about Podkolzin? Plus several quality prospects that have yet to join the team. If we are lucky enough to win a top 3 pick, then it'll make a difference. I doubt if we pick between 10-15 that it's going to be the difference between a Cup or not.

We have a brand new young core (that isn't even fully complete yet as Benning suggest at least 7 more young players he expects to join within the next 2 years) that is untested in the playoffs. Seems a bit early to be writing them off as incapable of winning the Cup.

I think we are lacking a top RD, but I'm not sure Drysdale is necessarily that guy that will be make or break for us and he's really the only option.

29 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

And what about Podkolzin? Plus several quality prospects that have yet to join the team. If we are lucky enough to win a top 3 pick, then it'll make a difference. I doubt if we pick between 10-15 that it's going to be the difference between a Cup or not.

We have a brand new young core (that isn't even fully complete yet as Benning suggest at least 7 more young players he expects to join within the next 2 years) that is untested in the playoffs. Seems a bit early to be writing them off as incapable of winning the Cup.

I think we are lacking a top RD, but I'm not sure Drysdale is necessarily that guy that will be make or break for us and he's really the only option.

I think the only truly high end one is pod. Hog is idk. But yea, its nice to have a supporting cast too. anyways, let me dream <3 

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Personally I think we have a decent amount of quality depth, if we get 1st overall, you draft Lafreniere.

If you can add one player like Lafreniere

Or two of any combo of

Byfield/stutzel/Raymond/Holt/perfection

And or a top prospect....just saying

38 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Or two of any combo of

you switching loyalties to Ottawa now? :P thats probably what they're going to be able to do. And then they're perfectly set for sale. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you switching loyalties to Ottawa now? :P thats probably what they're going to be able to do. And then they're perfectly set for sale. 

Lol nah.  But if the Canucks win the 1st overall.

Would Ottawa be ok picking 1st and 19th?  Would the Canucks be ok drafting say 4th and 5th?

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Or two of any combo of

Would Pittsburgh have preferred Crosby or more lesser players? Would Colorado have more lesser players rather than MacKinnon? Not saying Lafreniere will get to these levels (although I see a lot of MacKinnon in Lafreniere's game), but there's a reason why 1st overalls are considered that and he's at top of this deep group.

If it was a different draft where the top guy wasn't quite as stand out (eg the Yakupov year, etc), then I see the value of going for quantity over quality, but I believe Lafreniere is at that top level (barring injuries).

On 3/9/2020 at 6:12 PM, Warhippy said:

Lol nah.  But if the Canucks win the 1st overall.

Would Ottawa be ok picking 1st and 19th?  Would the Canucks be ok drafting say 4th and 5th?

I'd rather pick 1st overall than 4th and 5th.

You telling me you'd pass this up?

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Lafreniere - Horvat - Podkolzin

Put some duct tape on our defense, re-sign Markstrom and we're good to go :lol:

Edited by Horvat is a Boss
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I’m not trying to be insensitive, but if the season were to be suspended and eventually even cancelled due to the Corona Virus, then it looks like we would currently be picking 12th overall in the draft. That’s crazy that after such a good season that we could end up with that high of a pick. 

Of course with the standings being so close, one win could catapult us all the way up to about 18th or 19th.

Tweets such as the ones below from an article in The Province make it sound like it’s a real possibility: https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/national-basketball-association-postpones-season-is-the-nhl-next-not-now-tsns-dreger-reports/wcm/2ed0d9ca-cf32-4427-9485-57e6278f9931

Adrian Dater @adater
Rumors are heavy – and these are people connected to the game telling me this – that NHL will follow NBA lead and suspend season.

Eric Engels @EricEngels
One exec said, if one player gets it, the whole thing is done. Now it’s happened with the NBA and the league has suspended its season…Spoke with people all around the NHL today. Last thing anyone wants is to cancel the rest of the season/playoffs. Belief is that all options would be examined before that 1 is exercised. But general sense I got was most feel it’s a matter of when, not if, action will be suspended

Edited by YearoftheNuck

A lot can happen in a couple months, but with the cancellation of many public gatherings and events continues to grow, how will that affect this draft? 

Will they put all the GMs and staffers together on the draft floor? Will players attend? 

If the season is suspended, then will the draft happen while the late playoffs are still going? So many thoughts. 

There's gonna be a lot to unpack, this is unprecedented territory for the modern NHL. With all the travel, fans, people involved, venues, ect it's just not feasible to keep the machine going much longer. It's only a matter of time before the virus takes off in the US given their population and absurd healthcare costs. 

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

There's gonna be a lot to unpack, this is unprecedented territory for the modern NHL. With all the travel, fans, people involved, venues, ect it's just not feasible to keep the machine going much longer. It's only a matter of time before the virus takes off in the US given their population and absurd healthcare costs. 

Heard it’s mire about the US population being so unhealthy that’s the biggest issue.  50% of them are obese!  That’s crazy!  Obese people are at high risk

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Heard it’s mire about the US population being so unhealthy that’s the biggest issue.  50% of them are obese!  That’s crazy!  Obese people are at high risk

Wouldn't surprise me tbh. Having such an unhealthy population to begin with doesn't do em any favours. 

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Wouldn't surprise me tbh. Having such an unhealthy population to begin with doesn't do em any favours. 

If this virus does blow up here, they get a mass cull, and we get bankrupt by health costs.