The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2020 NHL Entry Draft - Round 1 Oct.6 @ 4pm PST (SN). Rounds 2-7 Oct.7 @ 8:30am (SN1)

Noble 6

Scouting pretty much put to a halt as leagues are suspending or even cancelling their seasons.  Going to be challenging for teams to finalise their draft lists as there is less viewing sample than in previous seasons.   They won't know how guys perform in the post-season or in a pressured environment like the U18.

The U18 was also the opportunity to see how Europeans matchup to North American skaters.    

Edited by mll

14 minutes ago, mll said:

Scouting pretty much put to a halt as leagues are suspending or even cancelling their seasons.  Going to be challenging for teams to finalise their draft lists as there is less viewing sample than in previous seasons.   They won't know how guys perform in the post-season or in a pressured environment like the U18.

The U18 was also the opportunity to see how Europeans matchup to North American skaters.    

I guess this could be a silver lining if we do end up losing our 1st rounder for this year, since its a mid-round pick and maybe hard to scout properly. 

• Upvote 1

If the season and playoffs both end up being canceled, I’m wondering what will happen with our first round pick this year? The way I see it, it could play out a couple ways:

1. because we were technically in a playoff position, Tampa gets our first pick

2. because it was never officially determined whether we were going to make the playoffs or not, we retain our pick for this season and Tampa gets our first next year. 

I’m thinking that to determine the order of picks in the draft, they will calculate the points per game average. So even though we’re currently 12th from last place, after calculating the point per games average it drops us down three spots to 15th I believe. 

This is the equation. I used to determine the Canucks points per game average for this year: 78 points / 69 games played X 82 games = 92.70 points 

Using the equation above it would actually leap frog us ahead of the Flames, Rangers and the Jets despite those three teams having more points than us. Reason being is because we’ve played less games. The Flames and Rangers average out to 92.54 points and Jets average 92.39

I also wonder what they’ll do with the draft lottery?

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

We were not in a playoff position. We would keep the pick.

image.png.d36a1c419346a1813b13eae84c17130b.png

Depends on how the league goes about deciding who would have made the playoffs. Going by point percentage we'd be ahead of the Flames given that we've played 69 games to their 70. Winnipeg would miss out.

This article touches on playoff possibilities a bit. https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1964394/major-storylines-to-monitor-as-nhl-suspends-season

At this point it's hard to tell what'll come of our pick because it's very dependent on how the NHL approaches teams having played a disjointed number of games and whether the regular season starts up again at all. 

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Depends on how the league goes about deciding who would have made the playoffs. Going by point percentage we'd be ahead of the Flames given that we've played 69 games to their 70. Winnipeg would miss out.

This article touches on playoff possibilities a bit. https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1964394/major-storylines-to-monitor-as-nhl-suspends-season

At this point it's hard to tell what'll come of our pick because it's very dependent on how the NHL approaches teams having played a disjointed number of games and whether the regular season starts up again at all. 

I agree with everything you typed.

Just pointing out to the other poster the Canucks are not currently in the playoffs.  

But as you stated, all bets are off depending on how the NHL resolves the issue.

• Cheers 1

Silver LIning: with coronavirus cancelling sporting events world wide.. maybe this is the year to miss out on a 2nd round pick and possibly 1st. There is a way smaller sample size to get an accurate read on prospects. It may be a much more hit and miss first few rounds this year

12 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Silver LIning: with coronavirus cancelling sporting events world wide.. maybe this is the year to miss out on a 2nd round pick and possibly 1st. There is a way smaller sample size to get an accurate read on prospects. It may be a much more hit and miss first few rounds this year

Disagree, I think its a better chance for our scouting staff to dig out a diamond that may be currently overlooked by normally being a late riser

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2020 at 11:09 PM, MoneypuckOverlord said:

wont that be awesome if the NHL decided to determine draft positions based on this seasons standings, and we won the lottery with our position? wow

Except we no longer own a 1st round pick

18 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Except we no longer own a 1st round pick

thats still in undecided territory. We don't know what the NHL is going to decide on who's in our out of the playoffs, even if there are no more games to be played. 

2 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

I hate to say it, but, this would be a great situation for us.

It depends how they determine the standings. From what I've hheard is they would go to the points per game ie to eliminate the number of game difference …. and vcr would be in under that premise

• Cheers 1