The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2020 NHL Entry Draft - Round 1 Oct.6 @ 4pm PST (SN). Rounds 2-7 Oct.7 @ 8:30am (SN1)

Noble 6

I have the third overall pick in one of our fantasy leagues here on CDC. I guess I have some reading up to do lol. I have no idea who to take at 3. Anyone have any suggestions? lol

I was expecting to pick between 4-10 but the SJS to OTT pick netted me third. I have another first in the mix for 1st but that is a long shot.

I am guessing Lafreniere..

then whooom? help guide me lol. I will read back these pages for opinions.

If you are interested in joining a league check out the several in our fantasy section. Take over a team, trade, draft, and sign players to term. (No opening currently but they pop open throughout the year).

Edited by Rush17

6 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I have the third overall pick in one of our fantasy leagues here on CDC. I guess I have some reading up to do lol. I have no idea who to take at 3. Anyone have any suggestions? lol

I was expecting to pick between 4-10 but the SJS to OTT pick netted me third. I have another first in the mix for 1st but that is a long shot.

then whooom? help guide me lol. I will read back these pages for opinions. If you have a suggestion aside from the concenus 2-3 let me know. :)

If you are interested in joining a league check out the several in our fantasy section. Take over a team, trade, draft, and sign players to term. (No opening currently but they pop open throughout the year).

Quinton Byfield if he is there would be a stud, if not Tim Stutzle. Really depends on what your needs are or if you are a take BPA kinda first round guy. If you need D RD Jamie Drysdale or LD Jake Sanderson are the highest rated D in the draft around 5 - 10 range. If it were me and I had a couple season to develop the player I'd go off the board with Lucas Raymond, his skating, stick skills and speed are unbelievable

On 6/29/2020 at 11:15 AM, Rush17 said:

Might be a tad bit off the board at 3, but if I was picking at 3 I would take Cole Perfetti. He's a hockey player's hockey player. Next Stevie Y.

• Cheers 1

On 6/29/2020 at 11:15 AM, Rush17 said:

Given the track record of CDC, I hope you find out the consensus and then avoid picking that player :P

• Upvote 1

Just watched some Drysdale highlights and I'm just thinking about how him and Hughes would look together on our backend. He really kind of reminds me of Quinn in the way he skates and hes a right shot with a bigger frame.

Is there any scenario that could see us getting this guy? Possible trades? Would Podkolzin be enough and if not what should we add if anything at all?

Miller Petersson Boeser

Hoglander Horvat Virtanen

Lind Gaudette XXXXXX

XXXXXX McEwen XXXXXX

Hughes Tryamkin 

Juolevi Drysdale

XXXXXX Woo

Demko

3 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

Just watched some Drysdale highlights and I'm just thinking about how him and Hughes would look together on our backend. He really kind of reminds me of Quinn in the way he skates and hes a right shot with a bigger frame.

Is there any scenario that could see us getting this guy? Possible trades? Would Podkolzin be enough and if not what should we add if anything at all?

Miller Petersson Boeser

Hoglander Horvat Virtanen

Lind Gaudette XXXXXX

XXXXXX McEwen XXXXXX

Hughes Tryamkin 

Juolevi Drysdale

XXXXXX Woo

Demko

If I had my choice...............it would be

Miller          Pettersson       Toffoli

Pearson        Horvat           Boeser

Hoglander    Gaudette       Podkolzin

XXXXX         McEwen        Lind

Hughes       Tryamkin

Rathbone    Drysdale

Brisebois     Woo

Rafferty

Demko

But, I honestly do not think Virtanen, Joulevi and 2021 1st is enough to get Drysdale, Seider or Dobson, all of which I would be very interested in

You might be getting close with Boeser and a 2021 1st, which I would do, but it is a risk

Pearson        Horvat           Podkolzin

Hoglander    Gaudette       Virtanen

Hughes       Tryamkin

Rathbone    Drysdale

Brisebois     Woo

Rafferty

Demko

1. Seider for Boeser and a 1st

2. Drysdale for Boeser and a 1st

3. Dobson and a 2nd for Boeser

To me all are either #1's or #2's and will cost alot and would fit the bill perfectly

To me after filling that RHD spot..........you go after a LW spot (quick!)

• Wat 1

4 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

If I had my choice...............it would be

Pearson        Horvat           Boeser

Hoglander    Gaudette       Podkolzin

Hughes       Tryamkin

Rathbone    Drysdale

Brisebois     Woo

Rafferty

Demko

But, I honestly do not think Virtanen, Joulevi and 2021 1st is enough to get Drysdale, Seider or Dobson, all of which I would be very interested in

You might be getting close with Boeser and a 2021 1st, which I would do, but it is a risk

Pearson        Horvat           Podkolzin

Hoglander    Gaudette       Virtanen

Hughes       Tryamkin

Rathbone    Drysdale

Brisebois     Woo

Rafferty

Demko

1. Seider for Boeser and a 1st

2. Drysdale for Boeser and a 1st

3. Dobson and a 2nd for Boeser

To me all are either #1's or #2's and will cost alot and would fit the bill perfectly

To me after filling that RHD spot..........you go after a LW spot (quick!)

Why would we have to add a 1st with Boeser for unproven prospects?

Both teams take those deals and laugh.

Neither of those players have proven to be full time NHLers while Boeser has shown he can be a 60-70 point 30 goal guy at 23.

Can we stop making bad deals to unload Boeser? If we have to trade him in the future it will be for a young top 4 Dman not a prospect with us adding a first.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Why would we have to add a 1st with Boeser for unproven prospects?

Both teams take those deals and laugh.

Neither of those players have proven to be full time NHLers while Boeser has shown he can be a 60-70 point 30 goal guy at 23.

Can we stop making bad deals to unload Boeser? If we have to trade him in the future it will be for a young top 4 Dman not a prospect with us adding a first.

The first 2 will be top pairing Dmen, DeNiro.........they are alreay as good as some 3/4/5 in the NHL now

But my main point was that we would pay big time for those types of prospects...........as for "Young" quality NHL Defensemen. The problem is, once the player comes into the league and shows well, it is too Late!

See Hughes, Maker and Fox as examples.............what do you think the cost on those would be, if the Teams would even listen, and actually doubt they would! I get your feelings about trading Boeser.....I respect that. I have a different view......but that is OK

But these young prospect Dmen that are slated to be #1's have a huge cost.............I am not even sure that gets them

So, I was thinking, if we lost the play-in, and won the lottery, would it be worth considering trading first overall?

Like maybe something along the lines of this scenario:

Vancouver trades 2020 first overall pick (Lafreniere) + Loui Eriksson (full contact weight, zero retention) + Jordie Benn (zero retained). 

Canucks receive Montreal’s 2020 first round pick (9th overall), 2020 second round pick (39th overall), 2021 first round pick, and 2021 second round pick.

Who says no? 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

So, I was thinking, if we lost the play-in, and won the lottery, would it be worth considering trading first overall?

Vancouver trades 2020 first overall pick (Lafreniere) + Loui Eriksson (full contact weight, zero retention) + Jordie Benn (zero retained). 

Canucks receive Montreal’s 2020 first round pick (9th overall), 2020 second round pick (39th overall), 2021 first round pick, and 2021 second round pick.

Who says no? 

Canucks say no. You don't trade a guy projected to be a McDavid level player to dump cap. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Canucks say no. You don't trade a guy projected to be a McDavid level player to dump cap. 

Dumping cap isn’t the main part of the deal. Still getting two firsts and two seconds (or roughly three first rounders of value).

And Lafreniere isn’t really projected as a McDavid level prospect. Very good #1 overall, but not a generational level pick.

But nonetheless, maybe I’m taking it too easy on the Habs here.

I was basically giving the 2020 first overall pick a value of 4 first round picks (pick value charts suggest this has been around the value of first overall historically).

Roughly speaking, we’d be keeping 3 first rounders of value (#9 + #39 + 2021 first and second rounders) and giving back around 1 first round pick in value for the cap dumps.

But maybe given that Lafreniere is an above average #1, and he’s French too, the Habs should pay more.

5 first round picks?

Still no deal?

6 first round picks?

Just curious what return would be enough to consider moving the first overall?

The cap dump itself is really not the main part of the deal. That’s merely using around one first round pick of the return value (out of multiple first rounders worth of value), to solve current the cap issues.

We can leave the cap issues alone, for the time being.

What’s an acceptable return for first overall?

Or just don’t trade it, under any circumstances?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Who says no? 

Id definitely do that deal. I doubt Montreal would though. Maybe if you took out the 2021 first.

7 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Who says no? 

This is tough. In terms of actually helping build a team, I would make that trade. However, giving up our first ever 1st overall pick opportunity seems like something that could haunt us. I may want to target some of their prospects as well (Suzuki, Primeau, Romanov or Brook) to have some knowns in what our return would be plus they would be closer to help us now if the goal is to unload cap to build a more solid roster. I know the cap dumps aren't the primary parts here, but they certainly wouldn't be a reason for us to give up on the 1st overall that could immediately boost us with an ELC and the marketing/revenue would be crazy. If we trade it, we would want more help now/sooner.

Keep in mind, acquiring Lafreniere would open up trading other pieces that we could add futures/help now/use in a cap dump (eg Lind, Hoglander, etc) or moving someone like Pearson for cap space instead.

6 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Id definitely do that deal. I doubt Montreal would though. Maybe if you took out the 2021 first.

It’s really tough to put a value on a first overall, but I tried to get close.

I think my return (including the value of the cap dump) comes out somewhere around 125% of the value of an “average” first overall, based on some of the recent pick value charts.

If you take out a first from Montreal’s offer, I think the return is too low. The team trading away first overall needs to be “winning” the deal on combined value, because of the X factor of an elite prospect like Lafreniere. Otherwise, it’s really not worth making the trade (which is part of why these moves basically never happen).

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

This is tough. In terms of actually helping build a team, I would make that trade. However, giving up our first ever 1st overall pick opportunity seems like something that could haunt us. I may want to target some of their prospects as well (Suzuki, Primeau, Romanov or Brook) to have some knowns in what our return would be plus they would be closer to help us now if the goal is to unload cap to build a more solid roster. I know the cap dumps aren't the primary parts here, but they certainly wouldn't be a reason for us to give up on the 1st overall that could immediately boost us with an ELC and the marketing/revenue would be crazy. If we trade it, we would want more help now/sooner.

Keep in mind, acquiring Lafreniere would open up trading other pieces that we could add futures/help now/use in a cap dump (eg Lind, Hoglander, etc) or moving someone like Pearson for cap space instead.

Agreed. And was just trying to create a combined hypothetical that got close to value for first overall, and also addressed the cap issues, all in one move. It may not be the best choice, practically speaking. Might be better to try to get the very best package of assets, in a first overall trade, and then address the cap issues in separate moves.

Ultimately, the reason for doing this would be to open a window for the next couple years where the team can compete. Currently, the cap issues, combined with the weakness on D, is limiting how far this team can reasonably be expected to go. Without fixing the D, I don’t see the Canucks being contenders. I don’t see them really fixing the D without fixing the cap situation. And while Lafreniere is an elite prospect, I don’t know if adding him to the current mix, without fixing the back end, is enough to really make this team a contender.

That all said, I’d probably still keep Lafreniere and hope that our elite talent group will be ready in a couple years, when  most of the boat anchor contracts will come off the books. In terms of long term success, adding an elite talent like Lafreniere is probably a better move than adding a package of lesser assets, even if the sum of the parts is greater.

• Cheers 1