The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2020 NHL Entry Draft - Round 1 Oct.6 @ 4pm PST (SN). Rounds 2-7 Oct.7 @ 8:30am (SN1)

Noble 6

On 8/12/2020 at 5:02 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Love how the Laffs gifted a #13OA to sweep another moldy contract under the dirty carpet.

we might have to do the same thing with our dead weight waste of a roster spot player, our problem is we moved our 1st and 2nd already and still need to keep picks to redraft at the same time. So will be interesting to see if our GM can get creative to ditch some $$$ this off season

23 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

we might have to do the same thing with our dead weight waste of a roster spot player, our problem is we moved our 1st and 2nd already and still need to keep picks to redraft at the same time. So will be interesting to see if our GM can get creative to ditch some $$$ this off season

If Ferland is on LTIR, all we really need to do is buyout Sutter and maybe Baertschi (if we can't trade them) and we can bring back most of the guys we want. Just without Toffoli. Any other moves we make beyond that to create cap space is just gravy. Doesn't seem like too big of an issue. We weren't over the cap by like 10 million like Toronto was.

The reason why Toronto had to pay the price was because Marleau was a 35+ contract, so no matter what they did with him, he would be on their books. They had no choice but to trade him. We don't have that limitation.

Since Canucks don't have 1st or 2nd round pick, perhaps they should target the BPA (at their positional weakness).

Thinking they need to load up on RHD and bottom 6 C.

Cuz prospect depth on RHD is weak and it's hard to trade for that position.   Also will need to eventually replace Beagle and Sutter.  So maybe get some good defensive centers that are good at faceoffs.

Just some ideas.

• Vintage 1

While we are short ish at RHD I don’t think we pick based on that. Will take too may years to see the fruits of that, when it’s something we need now.

with the defensive prospects and contracts we have I think we will either be able to make do, or make a trade for a potential RHD as part of a package who would operate as a young serviceable player. 

23 hours ago, canuktravella said:

we could find some  right hand dmen and a future shutdown center   at draft maybe benning will trade out pearson for  pick recoup and cap savings   sabresor sens  could use a pearson 

That's my thought.

In 2-3 years time, we will need to replace Sutter and Beagle. 

And we also need more depth at RHD.  Who knows, maybe we can snag a future Edler.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BPA said:

That's my thought.

In 2-3 years time, we will need to replace Sutter and Beagle. 

And we also need more depth at RHD.  Who knows, maybe we can snag a future Edler.

We have Jasek knocking on the door of 4th line center and Gaudette as third and want a 4 line scoring team.  Not sure why you think we are weak where we are well stocked.  

28 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

We have Jasek knocking on the door of 4th line center and Gaudette as third and want a 4 line scoring team.  Not sure why you think we are weak where we are well stocked.  

Nothing is a guarantee. 

Should stock up Centre depth as that is an area of weakness (imo) of prospects. 

Kind of hoping we can get an ear,y second or late first back. Really like luke evagelista and he is similar to mcmichael and thomas. Kyle Crnkovic is a nice late round gamble. Kid can score.  3 and fourth round i would take the gamble on stranges.  Kid is super talented but a bit of a headcase. At the third or fourth round, i think he would hold value for us

29 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

If he is available in the 3rd round I think Jack Finley (Spokane) would be a good target. Big body, a center, BC Boy, his dad played in the NHL. He has been deployed in a defensive role with spokane and could make a good defensive center in the future with his size.

Wow, he is one big dude

On 8/22/2020 at 9:09 AM, RetroCanuck said:

23 or less if I remember right. 31-8teams. 

Edit: Unless theres something new with this odd season

If we lose to Vegas, we will have given up the 24th overall pick...  They rank teams based on how far they make it in the playoffs, and the tie breaker is the points percentage on the season.  So this is the order of the remaining teams by their winning percentage.  

31st pick - Boston (best winning percentage amongst teams still alive) 

30th Colorado 

29th Tampa Bay 

28th Philly 

27th Vegas 

26th Dallas 

25th Islanders 

24th Vancouver 

24th for Miller  ....  lol  I'll take it!  :D 

On 8/23/2020 at 11:15 AM, Isam said:

Kind of hoping we can get an ear,y second or late first back. Really like luke evagelista and he is similar to mcmichael and thomas. Kyle Crnkovic is a nice late round gamble. Kid can score.  3 and fourth round i would take the gamble on stranges.  Kid is super talented but a bit of a headcase. At the third or fourth round, i think he would hold value for us

Has Stranges fallen that far since the start of the year? He was talked about in the teens pre-season rankings.

On 8/23/2020 at 11:33 AM, I.Am.Ironman said:

If he is available in the 3rd round I think Jack Finley (Spokane) would be a good target. Big body, a center, BC Boy, his dad played in the NHL. He has been deployed in a defensive role with spokane and could make a good defensive center in the future with his size.

I can't imagine him dropping that low. He had some pretty good production for a player used in a defensive role... What's his skating like?

On 8/20/2020 at 6:16 PM, BPA said:

Since Canucks don't have 1st or 2nd round pick, perhaps they should target the BPA (at their positional weakness).

Thinking they need to load up on RHD and bottom 6 C.

Cuz prospect depth on RHD is weak and it's hard to trade for that position.   Also will need to eventually replace Beagle and Sutter.  So maybe get some good defensive centers that are good at faceoffs.

Just some ideas.

I think thats exactly what we'll see, RHD and C's only this year. Outside of the top 50 players its not a bad idea anyway since its all a major crap shoot after that anyway. 

1 hour ago, cyoung said:

I can't imagine him dropping that low. He had some pretty good production for a player used in a defensive role... What's his skating like?

Could use work but not bad for his size from what I've seen. He won't be winning races though. It will definitely be something he will have to improve.