The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2020 NHL Entry Draft - Round 1 Oct.6 @ 4pm PST (SN). Rounds 2-7 Oct.7 @ 8:30am (SN1)

Noble 6

18 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Sure...but JB and Judd are finding gems in the 2nd round and a player in the later rounds...

Also it isn't going to be 5 years out of the playoffs....we make the playoffs this year and if Juolevi and Hughes do what I expect them too...we may just make some noise in the post season...!

Just watch....!

It is nice to hear a little optimism.:) 

15 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

"If Vcr does not even make the play-offs the next 6 years, that'll be 10 years failing to make the top 16 of the league."

Thanks Captain Obvious.  :bigblush:

Tell that to the accountant and share holders. Humour is often frowned on in the board room, success good, humour find some where else to ply your trade. While many get caught up in dreams, wishes and speculation this is a business. Just ask the McCaw and Griffith families, then think about this

Members of the billionaire family that owns the Vancouver Canucks are facing a massive tax bill related to a complex scheme developed to offset taxes on the sale of more than $140 million worth of assets needed to raise money to buy the hockey team.

The Aquilini Group bought the Canucks more than a decade ago.  ( June 2019)

or how about this

Vancouver Canucks co-owner Francesco Aquilini has settled his divorce with his estranged wife Taliah, his lawyer said just as the parties prepared to begin court proceedings Monday.

The point being there are other pressure points when running a business other than who plays third line Right Wing.

Unlike dreams this is reality. Every one has reality rear it's ugly head, be it your mortgage or health what ever.

3 hours ago, Fred65 said:

If Vcr does not even make the play-offs this season, that'll be 5 years failing to make the top 16 of the league then Jim won't need to worry. This is desperation time for Mr. Benning and the club. No club can afford to keep treading water no matter how good fans might think the future may be. At some point you have to pay the bills. Cast your mind back to 2011, who beat us in the Cup, well …… that same club made it to game 7 this year …. Vcr not so much. The ONLY time you get to acquire top quality skill at a reasonable price is the draft …. the only time!

Our young core was acquired through the draft.  Trades and UFA signings were done to give those young guys their best chance of winning.  The winning window stays open for longer, because JB drafted excellent prospects, who will be filling support roles over the next 1-5 seasons.  We are set for a very bright now, and future thanks to JB’s draft talents.  

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Alflives said:

Our young core was acquired through the draft.  Trades and UFA signings were done to give those young guys their best chance of winning.  The winning window stays open for longer, because JB drafted excellent prospects, who will be filling support roles over the next 1-5 seasons.  We are set for a very bright now, and future thanks to JB’s draft talents.  

I think it's fair to say that we all get that point and it's also true to say that from the 6 drafts current management has called the picks 4 have been excellent, namely EP, BB, TD & QH, the other JV, OJ & JM ..... Meh. So grab your calculator and tell me how long will it take via the draft to become a SC contender.  The rest of the roster is mediocre at best. Remember if we should make it to the play-offs, our drafting slot becomes worse. I can't recall a time when Vcr has had so many consecutive top 10 picks. It's not about only draft picks it's about vision and quality trades and FA signings. I struggle to identify what the vision for this club is, it seems like every summer it's spin the bottle time.

Sighh this is such a DEEP DRAFT CLASS. I was truly hoping to do bad this coming season. But with our new additions I don't see that happening. 

Don't get me wrong. I am high key excited to see Ferland play with pettersson and boeser. But a high draft pick would be nice. Another elite D-man with hughes. 

7 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

Sighh this is such a DEEP DRAFT CLASS. I was truly hoping to do bad this coming season. But with our new additions I don't see that happening. 

Don't get me wrong. I am high key excited to see Ferland play with pettersson and boeser. But a high draft pick would be nice. Another elite D-man with hughes. 

Ya there is definitely a little sting in it this year. You want to make the playoffs and it looks like we have the team to do it, but the draft class is so high end you want to just miss out in order to retain your pick for one more year.

Perhaps mid season a Markstrom, Tanev, Pearson, Baertschi, Beagle or Sutter trade fetches us some high round picks.

9 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Watch out for the some of the lower ranked guys man. I can see klevin and a couple other guys slipping. We are getting a hell of player regardless of our draft position

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Ya there is definitely a little sting in it this year. You want to make the playoffs and it looks like we have the team to do it, but the draft class is so high end you want to just miss out in order to retain your pick for one more year.

Perhaps mid season a Markstrom, Tanev, Pearson, Baertschi, Beagle or Sutter trade fetches us some high round picks.

No room for pearson on this team long term? 

5 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

No room for pearson on this team long term? 

Personally I don't think so. He's a good player but from what Ive seen he isn't a game changer. In my opinion you want high end offensive pieces or physical players that can chip in. With prospects like Hoglander, Madden and Podkolzin I just don't see Pearson being here.

If Pearson has a solid start to the season and you can flip him for a 1st round pick, I would. This team is going to be playoff competitive, but its no contender so move extra pieces when they're value is highest. I'd say Bear is in the same situation.

Start of season

Ferland-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Miller

Baertschi-Gaudette-Virtanen

Leivo-Beagle-Sutter

Motte, Goldobin

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Stecher

Benn-Tanev

Biega

End of Season

Goldy-Pettersson-Miller

Ferland-Horvat-Boeser

Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen

Leivo-Beagle-MacEwen

Motte

Edler-Stecher

Hughes-Myers

Juolevi-Benn

Biega

52 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Personally I don't think so. He's a good player but from what Ive seen he isn't a game changer. In my opinion you want high end offensive pieces or physical players that can chip in. With prospects like Hoglander, Madden and Podkolzin I just don't see Pearson being here.

If Pearson has a solid start to the season and you can flip him for a 1st round pick, I would. This team is going to be playoff competitive, but its no contender so move extra pieces when they're value is highest. I'd say Bear is in the same situation.

Start of season

Ferland-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Miller

Baertschi-Gaudette-Virtanen

Leivo-Beagle-Sutter

Motte, Goldobin

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Stecher

Benn-Tanev

Biega

End of Season

Goldy-Pettersson-Miller