The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Sign UFA, M Johansson

I hear people saying that we need to move Tanev or Sutter to make room for a UFA. Well here is another idea:

If JB can sign Boeser for $7m and Leivo for $1.2m (or a total less than $8.2m)…

…then JB should make an offer to UFA Marcus Johansson of $4m for 1-3 years. He may reject the offer but no team has picked him up yet and it may be enough to get him to play for the Canucks. Johansson could be a decent pickup, could be added to 2RW position, provides great center depth, should be good for 50 points.

If MJ agrees then JB could do the following to keep us under the cap of $81.5m (note: no need to move any major pieces):

- Trade Goldobin’s RFA rights to the East Coast for future considerations

- Put Roussel onto LTIR

- Waive Eriksson to Utica

- Keep Gaudette, Saunter, Brisebois, Rafferty, Teves in Utica as injury call ups

While Roussel is out on LTIR we would have a cap space of just over $1.9m. Opening night roster could be:

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Johansson

Baer Sutter Virtanen

Schaller Beagle Motte

(Leivo) – Schaller is in over Leivo for PK skills

Edler Stecher

Hughes Myers

Benn Tanev

(Fantenberg Biega)

Markstrom

(Demko)

By the time Roussel is ready to return there is every possibility that:

- Eriksson abandons his contract

- Some other player is on LTIR (e.g. Baer with recurring concussion issues)

If not, then simply waive Schaller or trade him. Roussel in and Schaller waived brings us to $8k of cap space, roster becomes:

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Johansson

Baer Sutter Virtanen

Roussel Beagle Motte

(Leivo)

Edler Stecher

Hughes Myers

Benn Tanev

(Fantenberg Biega)

Markstrom

(Demko)

Thoughts?

Edit: Johansson also provides potential to play 3C and move Sutter to 4th line, so we have 3 scoring lines:

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Virtanen

Roussel Johansson Baer

Motte Beagle Sutter

Edited by BigTramFan
  • Like 1

Not sure he’s good for 50 points on this team but you never know.   Horvat is no Backstrom or Kuznetzov...although pretty good.  Wouldn’t be the worst signing in the world, but personally I’m happy with Bear on his off wing, and JV as the first guy to get the chance to finally make the top six.   I see this guy as a serviceable vet, middle six player.  Certainly wouldn’t be bad at that cap hit and term though... think we have too many depth guys and Pearson would likely pace him and be more effective all around player at a smaller cap etc, same with Bear.

Know Benning wanted one more top six guy and he was rumoured as one of them...so who knows it could still be in the works, think we’d need to move on from JV to get the deal done though and think I’d rather just keep JV.  

6 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Your plan is banking on people either being injured, the little note about Baer's concussions is kinda messed up, and/or Eriksson leaving the team. Which in my opinion probably isn't the smartest way to go about business. But hey, that might just be me.

The plan does NOT rely on people being injured (beyond Roussels current injury).

If no one is injured and if Eriksson stays in Utica, then the plan still works out fine. We will be $8k under the cap.

I was merely stating that given our track record, someone probably will be injured.

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Not sure he’s good for 50 points on this team but you never know.   Horvat is no Backstrom or Kuznetzov...although pretty good.  Wouldn’t be the worst signing in the world, but personally I’m happy with Bear on his off wing, and JV as the first guy to get the chance to finally make the top six.   I see this guy as a serviceable vet, middle six player.  Certainly wouldn’t be bad at that cap hit and term though... think we have too many depth guys and Pearson would likely pace him and be more effective all around player at a smaller cap etc, same with Bear.

Know Benning wanted one more top six guy and he was rumoured as one of them...so who knows it could still be in the works, think we’d need to move on from JV to get the deal done though and think I’d rather just keep JV.  

I would rather keep Virtanen too.

Thats why the proposal is essentially about not losing any major assets. Just signing a UFA with the cap space we have.

Essentially we could take on one more $4m max contract, so if Johansson is available at that money, I would add him.

Edited by BigTramFan

3 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

I would rather keep Virtanen too.

Thats why the proposal is essentially about not losing any major assets. Just signing a UFA with the cap space we have.

Essentially we could take on one more $4m max contract, so if Johansson is available at that money, I would add him.

Dzingel too.  Not sure if he’s already gone but he’s also be a good fit.  Both of them would be like Higgins was, a decent middle six guy that could move up and down the lineup as needed.  The only thing that bugs me about this is it feels like we’d be giving up on JV.   Bear will likely go down at some point, but it would require two guys to go down before he gets a chance. That said I do love how Miller displaced Goldobin...and in the end it’s alway a good thing to make your team better once you out of tank mode.

1 hour ago, Glug Datt said:

I like MJ, I'd certainly take him over Sutter.. the only question I have is what happens to Gaudette? I have the feeling the plan is for him to replace Sutter, this year or next.. and he'll need a raise.. 

Having MJ on the roster doesn’t need to affect the plan to develop Gaudette and,

when he is ready,

the plan to move him into the 3C role and move on from Sutter.

However MJ provides a great depth injury option for 3C if required. And also could be a backup plan if Gaudette doesn’t quite reach his potential.

Moving Sutter should also clear the space for Gaudette’s pay rise.

1 hour ago, Glug Datt said:

I like MJ, I'd certainly take him over Sutter.. the only question I have is what happens to Gaudette? I have the feeling the plan is for him to replace Sutter, this year or next.. and he'll need a raise.. 

He plays wing and center so the plan could be to load up a third line and have good players that are capable of moving up as needed...like TB.  Their third line would also make a decent second line, as when those guys had the chance to play top six they did a good job.   Cerilli is new but he scored I think 19 goals with no PP time and manning the top P.K. unit in the leauge (and some shortys too).   Where the heck do they find these guys anyways?...  How many goals did JV get as rookie again?  I’m jealous.  Best drafting in the league by far, nobody gets as much as they do given their draft position....a whopping plus 22 (out of a possible 30) based on ADP (average draft position) ... we are a plus four....EDM is a -23. 

Personally I think he needs to stay away from the remainder of the group.  Unless he can get a guy like this or Dzingel for around 4 to 4.5 it could easily end up like another Sutter fiasco.   Save some spots for the new kids coming up.

Spend no more this summer.  Dump salary during the season, if possible, and have cap room for (damn I forgot his name.  That D man the Leafs just got from Colorado.  Is his name Bailey?) Getting old sucks! :picard:

• -SN- changed the title to [Proposal] Sign UFA, M Johansson