The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Maple Leafs re-sign Alexander Kerfoot

Wondering if the Leafs wouldn't actually prefer for Marner to hold out until the season is started.  If they don't add his extension until season is started, then they don't need to clear space before Horton hit the LTIR?  However, lots of risk associated with that, Marner could get an offer sheet and wouldn't get any training camp so might have a slow start.

Although, I do not believe Marner would sign an offer sheet.  He's a local boy playing for an up-and-coming contender.   Pretty sure he doesn't want to end up on a bottom feeder or middle of the pack just for a few more millions.  

So with 3.7M left in cap space, add in the Horton LTIR, they've got about 9M cap space for Marner.

Assuming Marner gets the $11M he deserves, and accounting for some wiggle room, the Leafs still need to clear out 4m+ ...

Looking at their roster, I think Nylander needs to go.  Whatever they get back needs to be a low cap hit.

Edited by HKSR

11 minutes ago, HKSR said:

So with 3.7M left in cap space, add in the Horton LTIR, they've got about 9M cap space for Marner.

Assuming Marner gets the $11M he deserves, and accounting for some wiggle room, the Leafs still need to clear out 4m+ ...

Looking at their roster, I think Nylander needs to go.  Whatever they get back needs to be a low cap hit.

If Nylander is moved then they would need to retain cap if they expect value in return. If they want to outright move out his entire cap hit, then good luck to them as they will need to sell really low on Nylander as his value is at his lowest with his latest performance on a rather large contract. A Nylander with 1-1.5 million retained should garner decent interest though.

16 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I wonder if this will make the pampered kid from West Van less arrogant? 

I’m friends with Kerfoot’s lil bro and went to the same HS as them so I know him a bit, and honestly he is a good guy. His bro is probably more arrogant/sarcastic than him. Not one of those stereotypical jock athletes in high school.

Unrelated story though: I was working at subway last summer as a summer job and one of my coworkers was a 5’6 Filipino 19 year old who had just come to Canada not long ago and just started playing hockey half a year ago as a goalie. He somehow had aspirations to play in the NHL and was really trying hard to get Judd Brackett to scout him at his local practice facility. I tried to talk him out of it for his own good since he was spending a lot of money investing in it and he had never played a competitive game in his life. So then he proceeded to show me a Facebook message he sent to Alex Kerfoot, where he asked him how he can make it into the league. Kerfoot responded in a paragraph telling him that if essentially that if he believes in himself he can do anything he wants. My coworker told me that because of that message he will continue to invest money and try to get into the league until he is 25.

Edited by Grape
  • Cheers 3

Interesting developments.  So the Canucks have been rumored or known to be interested in at one point: Barrie, Ceci and Kerfoot and they all end up in Toronto and are all able to be fit under the cap with $40MM paid to 4 forwards while the cap goes down.  

The Canucks get hit with a $3MM recapture penalty on a contract that was legal when signed and can't sign a much needed top six winger when the player retires to cause the recapture even though he is actually injured.  

I think I have this now.  I hate Bettman and I hate the Leafs.  There that's better.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Borvat said:

Interesting developments.  So the Canucks have been rumored or known to be interested in at one point: Barrie, Ceci and Kerfoot and they all end up in Toronto and are all able to be fit under the cap with $40MM paid to 4 forwards while the cap goes down.  

The Canucks get hit with a $3MM recapture penalty on a contract that was legal when signed and can't sign a much needed top six winger when the player retires to cause the recapture even though he is actually injured.  

I think I have this now.  I hate Bettman and I hate the Leafs.  There that's better.

Let’s not go back to that!

At least the recapture penalty is set for 3M X3yrs. Could you imagine if he pulled the plug next year at 4M X 2yrs or the following year at 8M? The other bright side is that we were in the hook for 800K in salary so in the cap world, we are paying just an extra 2.2M for these 3yrs.

Yes, Bettman screwed the Canucks over with this but why did Aquallini sign off on the CBA that included this clause? He folded like a cheap tent. He should have said hell no! 

In the end Aquallini is a weak owner in the world of NHL owners. Just look at how much influence Jeremy Jacobs had for Boston during 2011...

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

Let’s not go back to that!

At least the recapture penalty is set for 3M X3yrs. Could you imagine if he pulled the plug next year at 4M X 2yrs or the following year at 8M? The other bright side is that we were in the hook for 800K in salary so in the cap world, we are paying just an extra 2.2M for these 3yrs.

Yes, Bettman screwed the Canucks over with this but why did Aquallini sign off on the CBA that included this clause? He folded like a cheap tent. He should have said hell no! 

In the end Aquallini is a weak owner in the world of NHL owners. Just look at how much influence Jeremy Jacobs had for Boston during 2011...

Too late I'm back to that.  Bettman has let others off for egregious contracts.   

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Grape said:

I’m friends with Kerfoot’s lil bro and went to the same HS as them so I know him a bit, and honestly he is a good guy. His bro is probably more arrogant/sarcastic than him. Not one of those stereotypical jock athletes in high school.

Unrelated story though: I was working at subway last summer as a summer job and one of my coworkers was a 5’6 Filipino 19 year old who had just come to Canada not long ago and just started playing hockey half a year ago as a goalie. He somehow had aspirations to play in the NHL and was really trying hard to get Judd Brackett to scout him at his local practice facility. I tried to talk him out of it for his own good since he was spending a lot of money investing in it and he had never played a competitive game in his life. So then he proceeded to show me a Facebook message he sent to Alex Kerfoot, where he asked him how he can make it into the league. Kerfoot responded in a paragraph telling him that if essentially that if he believes in himself he can do anything he wants. My coworker told me that because of that message he will continue to invest money and try to get into the league until he is 25.

To be fair, there isn't really anything else he could have said.

If he wrote something along the lines of "It's too late.  Give up now".... imagine the flak he would get if it got leaked.  

The news headline, "NHL player tells immigrant teen to give up hockey dreams"

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

If Nylander is moved then they would need to retain cap if they expect value in return. If they want to outright move out his entire cap hit, then good luck to them as they will need to sell really low on Nylander as his value is at his lowest with his latest performance on a rather large contract. A Nylander with 1-1.5 million retained should garner decent interest though.

Then they would need a player back that is basically on an ELC or at league minimum lol.

I still can’t see them signing Marner to $10-12 million without dumping Nylander. Especially with signing Kerfoot and Ceci. I know they’ll have Hyman and Dermott on LTIR at the beginning of the season but that’s another $3 million when those players get back.

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

why

he has 5 years and 25 million left on his contract since july 1 balloon bonus was paid

he will require more in cap space though but nothing unmanageable

i think he is very tradeable now

as he does have upside

they should be able to get full value for him