The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Justin Bailey

cut.jpg

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the club has signed right wing Justin Bailey to a one-year, two-way contract.

Bailey, 24, split the 2018.19 season between Rochester (9-11-20 in 37 games), Lehigh Valley (6-2-8 in 17 games) and Philadelphia (0-1-1 in 11 games). He was acquired by Philadelphia on January 18, 2019 from Buffalo in exchange for Taylor Leier.

The Buffalo, New York native has played in 63 NHL games, accumulating nine points (5-4-9) and 10 penalty minutes with the Buffalo Sabres and Philadelphia Flyers.

The 6'4", 214-pound forward was originally drafted 52nd overall by Buffalo in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/vancouver-canucks-justin-bailey/c-308182886

• Upvote 2

Would Bailey count against the veteran limit for Utica?  I'm assuming that's where Bailey would ideally end up.  He'll need to clear waivers to be assigned which isn't really a loss for the Canucks if that happens but is curious.

Adding Bailey should be good for overall depth but perhaps the Canucks are looking at shipping out a younger player or a prospect.  Perhaps the Canucks are looking at including Leivo in a trade?  Virtanen is a possibility too but I don't think this management group is ready to give up on him yet.

6 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Good looking dude with a good looking body.  He's 6'4' measured, this is true, and he's got good girth, good looking dude. 

Girth???

I thought that word was reserved for use in Japanese made Godzilla movies...

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Would Bailey count against the veteran limit for Utica?  I'm assuming that's where Bailey would ideally end up.  He'll need to clear waivers to be assigned which isn't really a loss for the Canucks if that happens but is curious.

Adding Bailey should be good for overall depth but perhaps the Canucks are looking at shipping out a younger player or a prospect.  Perhaps the Canucks are looking at including Leivo in a trade?  Virtanen is a possibility too but I don't think this management group is ready to give up on him yet.

Motte, Beagle, Bailey likely wouldn't be an awful 4th line either if we end up clearing out some bodies. But yes, likely Utica.

• Upvote 1

Justin Bailey is a good AHL depth signing. Young enough that he could put it together but, if not, he probably replaces Justin Bailey/Tanner Kero as the type of player to help anchor Utica's top 6. I like this signing. Good low risk/high reward type thing. I don't expect much from him at this point but it's nice to see Jimbo go bargain hunting.

12 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Good looking dude with a good looking body.  He's 6'4' measured, this is true, and he's got good girth, good looking dude. 

Real meaty 

• Haha 2