The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Justin Bailey

On 7/4/2019 at 10:33 AM, Rindiculous said:

There’s our top 6 forward we’re looking for :bigblush:

That's Rindiculous!  We wish though.. would like to see someone that big on petey and brocks line and drop JT to flank Bo and Pearson... kinda hoping we can sign Ferland but whose got bite and snipe but seriously needed two messier types for 1 and 2 lines... JT is more snipe than bite but at least he will fight and not skate away, no he's not a brilliant fighter or anything but we can't have all butter or we'll get slaughtered, much the same story as we're used to with the sedins (Kad and the Rat) etc..

No thanks, i like guys like this who we can put into the line up against bigger teams and not look out of place although just average at best, we have some more "bite"depth if we need it so i'm certainly not against this pick up! Alien and The Flow score what amounts to the majority of scoring and we definately need to protect that.. or we'd become the same old great "seasonal" team all over again! That would suck...

On 7/6/2019 at 3:36 PM, iceman64 said:

That's Rindiculous!  We wish though.. would like to see someone that big on petey and brocks line and drop JT to flank Bo and Pearson... kinda hoping we can sign Ferland but whose got bite and snipe but seriously needed two messier types for 1 and 2 lines... JT is more snipe than bite but at least he will fight and not skate away, no he's not a brilliant fighter or anything but we can't have all butter or we'll get slaughtered, much the same story as we're used to with the sedins (Kad and the Rat) etc..

No thanks, i like guys like this who we can put into the line up against bigger teams and not look out of place although just average at best, we have some more "bite"depth if we need it so i'm certainly not against this pick up! Alien and The Flow score what amounts to the majority of scoring and we definately need to protect that.. or we'd become the same old great "seasonal" team all over again! That would suck...

We haven't even seen though what JT brings to Petey's line. Perhaps we should be looking at that first before jumping to conclusions. ;)

3 hours ago, The Lock said:

We haven't even seen though what JT brings to Petey's line. Perhaps we should be looking at that first before jumping to conclusions. ;)

You think it's wise to lay money down on a one trick pony instead of a solid top 6?

26 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

You think it's wise to lay money down on a one trick pony instead of a solid top 6?

What makes you think JT's a one trick pony? Please tell me you've seen him play before answering otherwise there's no point to this conversation at all. Not trying to imply anything, just I don't really see the point in jumping to conclusions if we haven't even seen him play here.

As far as whether I think it's "wise to lay money down on a one trick pony", that's kind of irrelevant to all of this since I don't think JT's a one trick pony and I think he is a solid top 6. Remember. He's coming from Tampa: the best team in the league. The only reason why he was bottom 6 was because he was on Tampa.

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

What makes you think JT's a one trick pony? Please tell me you've seen him play before answering otherwise there's no point to this conversation at all.

I meant primarily having a one line team..

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Okay. Even then, to get a solid top 6, you first need a solid 1st line. You can't put the cart before the horse.

That's why Ferland would be a welcome signing.. a solid 1-2 punch would trump.. meh Ferland or someone like him.. we need some toughness on both but without sacrificing skill which Ferland certainly has in spades in both

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

That's why Ferland would be a welcome signing.. a solid 1-2 punch would trump.. meh Ferland or someone like him.. we need some toughness on both but without sacrificing skill which Ferland certainly has in spades in both

And I don't doubt Ferland would add that element we need to the team. The problem I see comes down to cap space. Had we not had the Luongo retire bomb thrown down on us, we may very well already have a player like Ferland in the lineup. Benning has mentioned himself how that retirement prevented him from getting another player.

So we're left with what we have now. Curious: do you think we should have got Ferland instead of JT? Choices need to be made in times where we have limited cap space and I think the highest priority should be Boeser.

30 minutes ago, The Lock said:

And I don't doubt Ferland would add that element we need to the team. The problem I see comes down to cap space. Had we not had the Luongo retire bomb thrown down on us, we may very well already have a player like Ferland in the lineup. Benning has mentioned himself how that retirement prevented him from getting another player.

So we're left with what we have now. Curious: do you think we should have got Ferland instead of JT? Choices need to be made in times where we have limited cap space and I think the highest priority should be Boeser.

That's depends on who JT or Ferland is deployed with.. I'd say JT has a bit more skill and Ferland is a bit tougher as in fighting wise.. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, iceman64 said:

JT MIller is a legit powerforward who does come with some physicality, yet doesn't go overboard.

That's depends on who JT or Ferland is deployed with.. I'd say JT has a bit more skill and Ferland is a bit tougher as in fighting wise.. 

Miller is the better playmaker (which I think helps when he's playing with a couple guys like EP and BB who can fire the puck) - and he's not as reckless as Ferland (ie probably not as prone to injury/more durable.)   I like Ferland though - would probably still take the guy if there was cap and the terms reasonable - but I think he might be more fun to watch playing with Pearson/Horvat on a miserable line to deal with - not sure, aside from his toughness, that he's as good a fit with EP.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1

If we did get Ferland I think he’d be better with Petey.  Then JTM, as you say has more skill, could play with Bo and Pearson.  

9 hours ago, The Lock said:

I think Ferland may be looking at around or slightly more than what Miller makes, but I bet he wants term. He is more physical, but offensively maxed out at 41 points despite top 6 minutes whereas Miller has had a 58 point season only a season ago. Miller is more versatile in that he can play all forward positions and play respectably defensively. Miller is indeed the better player IMO.

I think the player we may have missed out on is Nyquist simply because of the rumours that we had interviews with him while no mention of Ferland. I think Benning wanted to add a skilled guy to go with Bo and Pearson while they create havoc.

I should add that with that reasoning, I'm curious to see how Goldobin would fare with Bo and Pearson.

Edited by theo5789
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I should add that with that reasoning, I'm curious to see how Goldobin would fare with Bo and Pearson.

Goldobin and Baer probably have the leg up on the competition for that spot.

24 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Goldobin and Baer probably have the leg up on the competition for that spot.

Agreed. Just think that Baertschi could potentially look okay alongside Sutter and Virtanen on a defensive line with a bit of offensive punch. And Leivo on the "4th" line with Beagle and Motte to create energy. Goldobin doesn't fit the bottom 6, so he's either in that spot or as an extra. With him in the top 6 (and assuming effectively so), that pushes the scoring down throughout the lineup.

If Goldobin is the extra then it'll likely be Baer with Bo's line, Leivo on Sutter's line with Schaller on the 4th.

Eriksson, if still here, could throw a wrench into this (I know you're opinion in that you think he's gone one way or another). Eriksson could be put on Bo's line to boost value or even re-spark his offense. He could be put on the Sutter line where he has chemistry and be back to the defensive system.

Many potential options. Someone will have to be waived and with Schaller looking like he's the least versatile of the group (and least potential for growth), he's the odd one out for me if LE isn't moved (I don't think he will be sent to Utica, but who knows).

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Agreed. Just think that Baertschi could potentially look okay alongside Sutter and Virtanen on a defensive line with a bit of offensive punch. And Leivo on the "4th" line with Beagle and Motte to create energy. Goldobin doesn't fit the bottom 6, so he's either in that spot or as an extra. With him in the top 6 (and assuming effectively so), that pushes the scoring down throughout the lineup.

If Goldobin is the extra then it'll likely be Baer with Bo's line, Leivo on Sutter's line with Schaller on the 4th.

Eriksson, if still here, could throw a wrench into this (I know you're opinion in that you think he's gone one way or another). Eriksson could be put on Bo's line to boost value or even re-spark his offense. He could be put on the Sutter line where he has chemistry and be back to the defensive system.

Many potential options. Someone will have to be waived and with Schaller looking like he's the least versatile of the group (and least potential for growth), he's the odd one out for me if LE isn't moved (I don't think he will be sent to Utica, but who knows).

Regardless of what you think of his play, 'opportunities' or his comments, I just don't see how they can bring him back. I think he'll get booed if he steps on Canuck ice in the regular season. That's not going to be good for anyone.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Regardless of what you think of his play, 'opportunities' or his comments, I just don't see how they can bring him back. I think he'll get booed if he steps on Canuck ice in the regular season. That's not going to be good for anyone.

I think only the irrational would boo him. I feel like people are blowing things out of proportion from their desire to be rid of him. But that's just my opinion. There have been far worse situations that are actually "booing" worthy. We should be supporting our players and hoping for the best. His comments were a mere not agreeing with the coach 100% of the time. It's not like he ripped into the team and city and the fans (although it almost appears that way with the reactions/overreactions here).

29 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I think only the irrational would boo him. I feel like people are blowing things out of proportion from their desire to be rid of him. But that's just my opinion. There have been far worse situations that are actually "booing" worthy. We should be supporting our players and hoping for the best. His comments were a mere not agreeing with the coach 100% of the time. It's not like he ripped into the team and city and the fans (although it almost appears that way with the reactions/overreactions here).

There's plenty of those to make things plenty uncomfortable for both management and player.

Out of proportion or otherwise, he was already un-liked here for his lack of production vs salary. The more sensible among us would rightly point out that yes, while the contract is certainly poor, at least he's sound defensively, can PK, etc. Hence the 'Little Things' meme around him. 

But his comments in the media were the proverbial straw. Can't see them bringing back an already un-liked player who then 'whined'. Rightly or wrongly. Our garbage media and the more fanatic element of the fan base will ensure it. His agents comments about it perhaps being better for all parties if there was a change of scenery have only fueled it further.

It's a P.R. nightmare waiting to happen. And it's not like his play has warranted management keeping him over the impending P.R. nightmare. The roster doesn't need him.

IMO, he's done here and it's best for all involved.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 3