The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Justin Bailey

18 hours ago, Me_ said:

MOTTE - BEAGLE - SUTTER

is a much better 4th line ;)

You'll note I said 'likely Uitca'. Which, not coincidentally, is exactly where he is.

Besides, with our bottom 9 F depth, making room for Bailey this seasons was always going to be a challenge. Now next season, the season after...maybe that changes. Bailey will need to continue to improve and force the issue to make that happen though.

And I maintain, a current (with injuries), or a future (as roster space clears/he hopefully continues to improve) 4th line of Motte, Beagle, Bailey has the potential to be a VERY solid 4th line.

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, Me_ said:

MOTTE - BEAGLE - SUTTER

is a much better 4th line ;)

It is - but that's not really a '4th' line.

I like your comment/question what's a SC worth though.

All three of those guys play more minutes than Gaudette and Roussel - I think if it's defined in terms of 4 lines (which is a bit oversimplified) - the '3rd line' is the shutdown line and the '4th line' is a secondary scoring line - but I think that's about to get more fluid.

I think we're likely to see Sutter centering another line once he's back to 100% - and game shape - and perhaps spot duty on Beagle's line when they're dealing with a particularly loaded up top line matchup.   When it comes to facing teams with two high end top 6 lines and/or 3 scoring lines, it's a nice luxury to have both these guys centering matchup lines and Horvat as a 3rd option (particularly on the road, or when defending leads).  They can move Gaudette to the wing in those circumstances, and back to center when they're looking for more secondary scoring (ie when they're dictating, or trailing in a game, or when they can get him optimal matchups ie at home).  That's what Green appeared to be doing early in the season when all 6 of their centers were healthy - personally I prefer to see Miller, Horvat, Sutter and Beagle down the middle and EP and Gaudette on wings, but I also like getting Gaudette those high-ozone sheltered opportunities to put up some production at C and gain confidence, while also 'platooning' and learning the 'little things' while playing wing with Sutter or whomever (Gaudette is also a good candidate to move further up the lineup).

But the basic point - I think you're going to see Sutter playing 15-17 minutes a night = not really a "4th line" winger. 

What a luxury when you have 2 of the league's best faceoff guys (and Horvat aint bad either), two of the league's premier matchup/shutdown centers, and a pair of young natural centers with a lot of upside that you can continue to develop on the wings and/or shelter when they're at center.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1