The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver's sudden increase in size.

Rate this topic

aqua59

41 minutes ago, aqua59 said:

Yes!!!  I still want to see a cohesive group here but I'm very optimistic. 

Also Ownership has to be given a little credit here too for still backing Benning. Benning has taken it from all sides for a while now. 

I'm seeing some tough cuts and moves coming and not only for Eriksson but Sutter too. 

$hit my wife drank all the beer so ok it's wine for now. Cheers my brother.!

F YAH!! Man all the boneheads who hated on JB for the moves he did are going to eat a pile of crow! I'm still in shock.. i was half expecting virtanen or gaudette on 2nd line to start the season... guess not so much unless pearson gets injured.. 

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

F YAH!! Man all the boneheads who hated on JB for the moves he did are going to eat a pile of crow! I'm still in shock.. i was half expecting virtanen or gaudette on 2nd line to start the season... guess not so much unless pearson gets injured.. 

In Gaudette's case he has time more time to develop and prove himself. In Jake's case he had better be motivated because he's not the only power forward. Nothing is easy any more. 

Also the rest of their division has been put on notice. Vancouver won't be an easy 2 points any more.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, aqua59 said:

In Gaudette's case he has time more time to develop and prove himself. In Jake's case he had better be motivated because he's not the only power forward. Nothing is easy any more. 

Also the rest of their division has been put on notice. Vancouver won't be an easy 2 points any more.

Or a easy way to lose two points of your not 110% on your game.. for all the painful years i've watched on tv and listened on a.m. radio up north since 74, this is the most stoked i've been since we signed bure and almo on our team at the same time but super stoked now! Still elated that we have a team that's NOT made for the season only, i get owners need to fill the seats and make money but at some point it's time to get past that way of thinking and build for the playoffs too..

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

On 7/8/2019 at 12:21 AM, Hogs & Podz said:

One can dream... This would be the TSN 'turning point'.  Would be a huge pendulum swing, going from a weakness to a big strength on the wing.... A major uptick in probability of making playoffs. 

Really... Really excited about this team getting bigger with speed.  Just got to get into the show... Then you never know... Big and fast and aggressive attack style, they can do some damage with or without Ferland.

How JB could pull a dump and sign under the cap to make it happen?... Beats me.  I'm simply a fan for a reason.  :towel:

Well, well, well.... I guess (half of) my dream came true!!! FERLAND 

You were bang on Iceman!... Now to somehow get rid of LE.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

23 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Or a easy way to lose two points of your not 110% on your game.. for all the painful years i've watched on tv and listened on a.m. radio up north since 74, this is the most stoked i've been since we signed bure and almo on our team at the same time but super stoked now! Still elated that we have a team that's NOT made for the season only, i get owners need to fill the seats and make money but at some point it's time to get past that way of thinking and build for the playoffs too..

Now drink beer the fridge is full. I'm serious, full!

On 7/4/2019 at 1:11 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

don't forget Bo who's pushing 220 

I wonder if he'll come in a little lighter this year? He'a not the tallest guy in the world. I didn't see Bo skate with the puck last year like he normally does. He may have been battling injuries but maybe coming in closer to 210 would give his skating a little boost? On the other hand, being 220 lbs probably helps out a bit with the larger C's in the league. 

21 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I wonder if he'll come in a little lighter this year? He'a not the tallest guy in the world. I didn't see Bo skate with the puck last year like he normally does. He may have been battling injuries but maybe coming in closer to 210 would give his skating a little boost? On the other hand, being 220 lbs probably helps out a bit with the larger C's in the league. 

not sure, I didn't really notice a skating drop off... maybe it had more to do with dealing with a revolving door of wingers?

1 hour ago, VIC_CITY said:

Bo had the best season of his career in pretty much every aspect.  Faceoffs, points, you name it.  If his skating was suffering, I didn't see it - if it did, and it improves this year, well, that would be something.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

not sure, I didn't really notice a skating drop off... maybe it had more to do with dealing with a revolving door of wingers?

Maybe, but Bo drives a line on his own and I just didn't see his trade mark end to end rushes that we're used to. Maybe he changed his approach up and wanted to use his teammates more? But Bo was probably our best skater and often used his skating as a weapon. I didn't see that as much last year.

1 hour ago, VIC_CITY said:

Kept up with guys like aho

On 7/10/2019 at 3:48 PM, aqua59 said:

He's pretty good though, saw some impressive plays in both ends of the rink at the end of last season. I want to see him on this team in September, he was doing getting high quality 1 timers off maybe more than anyone on the team in the last 20. Its what it looked like to me. He would be a beast with a set up winger. Jake has that speed and he does flip it to the middle of the ice a lot. Ferland Gaudette Jake.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, xereau said:

He's pretty good though, saw some impressive plays in both ends of the rink at the end of last season. I want to see him on this team in September, he was doing getting high quality 1 timers off maybe more than anyone on the team in the last 20. Its what it looked like to me. He would be a beast with a set up winger. Jake has that speed and he does flip it to the middle of the ice a lot. Ferland Gaudette Jake.

That might be a line if Pods works out..  as in 2 years time, and i like the looks of it but really, best suited for top 6 atm 

49 minutes ago, RogersTowell said:

Bo had the best season of his career in pretty much every aspect.  Faceoffs, points, you name it.  If his skating was suffering, I didn't see it - if it did, and it improves this year, well, that would be something.

Bo is going to &^@#ing crush it this year!

55 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

Bo is going to &^@#ing crush it this year!

Absolutely he will.  Bo has steadily improved year after year and last year he was almost .75ppg which is a low end 1st line rate.  That was playing beside guys who were really better suited for a 3rd line role.

He seemed to have chemistry with Pearson, but also will have opportunity to play with either Miller or Ferland, as well as a hopefully healthy and improved Baer.  Lots of options for Green to find him chemistry now, with guys at least a bit closer to Bo's skill level.  With that said, we really still don't have "ideal" linemates for him - based in historical stats.  Ideally, we would put him with 60-70 point wingers but we just aren't stocked with that kind of talent yet. Nevertheless, he is still in the best linemate position he's ever been, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him eclipse 70 points this year.  Not bad for "just" a 2nd line center.

As for the original topic of size, the change to our team in this regard is dramatic. I think it will be noticable in the regular season, and if we make the playoffs (which I believe we will) the way Green gets 110% out of his team we are going to be a veey difficult team to play against.

Edited by kloubek

On 7/4/2019 at 8:18 PM, igorwasgreat said:

Is signing Ferland even a remote possibility ? I see Tryamkin mentioned , have I missed an indication by him he is coming back anytime soon 

Yeah when asked if he would play here again, he answered yes why not? And he keeps up with the goings on with the team.. 

It's more important the attitude of the team rather than just size.  IIRC, the 2011 team was actually pretty big on average, just they decided to play a more passive game.  

Since now they more players that are willing to play on the edge, I hope they will do more to stand up for each other.  The whole, "It's not the size of the dog, but the fight in the dog".

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

It's more important the attitude of the team rather than just size.  IIRC, the 2011 team was actually pretty big on average, just they decided to play a more passive game.  

Since now they more players that are willing to play on the edge, I hope they will do more to stand up for each other.  The whole, "It's not the size of the dog, but the fight in the dog".

Well look at each player that will and ask yourself why? That's the motivation to win and not just for yourself.. honey badger was a really good example of that among others..