The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver's sudden increase in size.

Rate this topic

aqua59

Just now, The Lock said:

Yeah, and really, look at any struggling team right now. For example, there's enough holes on Arizona's team to make the desert sink. :P

It's just how rebuilds go sometimes.

Imagine Mathew Tkachuk on that top 6 now.

Thats just how rebuilds go, indeed. 

Ifs and buts   

• Cheers 1

Isn't the league trending towards speed and skill anyways?

Besides last time Vancouver wanted to go double down on size was the 2011 - 2012 season and it but the team players like Byron Bitz, David Booth, Tom Sestito (the season after), and Zack Kassian

Not exactly good results

On 7/4/2019 at 3:21 PM, iceman64 said:

Nooooooooo! Lmao... i think JB has other ideas to get rid of him and i'd be ecstatic if he does!  Would love to see Ferland here instead.. 

One can dream... This would be the TSN 'turning point'.  Would be a huge pendulum swing, going from a weakness to a big strength on the wing.... A major uptick in probability of making playoffs. 

Really... Really excited about this team getting bigger with speed.  Just got to get into the show... Then you never know... Big and fast and aggressive attack style, they can do some damage with or without Ferland.

How JB could pull a dump and sign under the cap to make it happen?... Beats me.  I'm simply a fan for a reason.  :towel:

Edited by Hogs & Podz

9 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Besides last time Vancouver wanted to go double down on size was the 2011 - 2012 season and it but the team players like Byron Bitz, David Booth, Tom Sestito (the season after), and Zack Kassian

Not exactly good results

You're comparing apple to oranges. Recent size signings are just better players.

• Upvote 1

On 7/5/2019 at 8:29 AM, BPA said:

So the question is: 

Is Ferland worth a 1st?

Is Ferland worth a first...NO!  Is it worth a first to get rid of LE and sign Ferland?  I’m gonna say no but it’s getting closer. If we had a reasonable contract agreed upon in principle with Ferland I’d consider a Louie with a good sweetener (2nd and a B prospect) for a bag of pucks and a taco. 

11 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Juolevi isn't exactly small either. 6'3 and 200 lbs. I imagine he'll make his NHL debut sometime this season when the injury bug inevitably hits.

He doesn’t play big though.  On the bright side, it leaves him less susceptible to injuries playing a finesse game (heck, Hamhuis got injured in the Final trying to throw a hip check on the wrong guy (Lucic).

1 hour ago, Amebushi said:

Is Ferland worth a first...NO!  Is it worth a first to get rid of LE and sign Ferland?  I’m gonna say no but it’s getting closer. If we had a reasonable contract agreed upon in principle with Ferland I’d consider a Louie with a good sweetener (2nd and a B prospect) for a bag of pucks and a taco. 

Are you crazy? I'd give up a first to get rid of LE and pick up Ferland.. in a heartbeat! 

JT,Alien, and the Flow then

Bo,Pearson and Ferland? That's a legit lethal top 6..

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Are you crazy? I'd give up a first to get rid of LE and pick up Ferland.. in a heartbeat! 

JT,Alien, and the Flow then

Bo,Pearson and Ferland? That's a legit lethal top 6..

Then maybe I just came up with a decent proposal. A first should be enough to ditch Eriksson and that would free up more than enough $$ to sign Ferland. 

8 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

Then maybe I just came up with a decent proposal. A first should be enough to ditch Eriksson and that would free up more than enough $$ to sign Ferland. 

Whatever the case is, LE has to go! I hope that tv contract comes through and bettman doesn't  screw it up... the boo's at the draft was funny as _uck but well deserved by that _ _ _hole!

Then we could simply bury LE in utica if need be.. 

Edited by iceman64

12 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Not exactly good results

Speed and skill are the most effective in the regular season. If this is your top priority then I guess this is the model you would follow, however, if you are looking to go deep in the playoffs then you need a much more bigger, durable player to sustain the rigors of playoff hockey. You are not going into the playoffs with the players you mentioned as there is not enough skill there. Those guys were also around when the team was not built around "toughness" it was in the time of "gentlemanly" hockey. Not effective IMO, especially for the playoffs as Boston showed us in 2011. 

Look at St. Louis this year, I think the majority of their players are over 6 ft tall. Not a good regular season but there playoffs were a whole new ballgame.

TB is a little smaller and didn't do so well in the Playoffs but had a great REGULAR SEASON.

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Speed and skill are the most effective in the regular season. If this is your top priority then I guess this is the model you would follow, however, if you are looking to go deep in the playoffs then you need a much more bigger, durable player to sustain the rigors of playoff hockey. You are not going into the playoffs with the players you mentioned as there is not enough skill there. Those guys were also around when the team was not built around "toughness" it was in the time of "gentlemanly" hockey. Not effective IMO, especially for the playoffs as Boston showed us in 2011. 

Look at St. Louis this year, I think the majority of their players are over 6 ft tall. Not a good regular season but there playoffs were a whole new ballgame.

TB is a little smaller and didn't do so well in the Playoffs but had a great REGULAR SEASON.

Thanks for posting my thoughts, that has been the canucks for too many years in our history as a team for the majority of the time

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

On 7/8/2019 at 12:09 PM, iceman64 said:

Thanks for posting my thoughts, that has been the canucks for too many years in our history as a team for the majority of the time

I'm on the same page as you. Drink onward.

On 7/8/2019 at 11:42 AM, Amebushi said:

Doing happy dance here!!! Wtg Benning!!!

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Doing happy dance here!!! Wtg Benning!!!

Yes!!!  I still want to see a cohesive group here but I'm very optimistic. 

Also Ownership has to be given a little credit here too for still backing Benning. Benning has taken it from all sides for a while now. 

I'm seeing some tough cuts and moves coming and not only for Eriksson but Sutter too. 

$hit my wife drank all the beer so ok it's wine for now. Cheers my brother.!

33 minutes ago, aqua59 said:

Yes!!!  I still want to see a cohesive group here but I'm very optimistic. 

Also Ownership has to be given a little credit here too for still backing Benning. Benning has taken it from all sides for a while now. 

I'm seeing some tough cuts and moves coming and not only for Eriksson but Sutter too. 

$hit my wife drank all the beer so ok it's wine for now. Cheers my brother.!

Honest, at this point, I'll be sorely disappointed if Benning isn't still here in a couple of years. This is what I asked for and I think I even had a couple of posts a few years back where I said I wanted a GM here longterm. Aside from a mistake here and there (and what GM doesn't make mistakes), there's nothing I can see that should indicate he should be gone any time soon.